Another Gui Idea...

This is the best one yet :D :) second is chad's but this one i would gladly use hopefully i can use this when the pandora is finally out :)

I LOVE this UI. It's a good combination of Gmenu2X and GNOME, somehow. And would work well with an LCARS skin ;)

Remember, folks, we're just discussing the default UI. I'm sure, like with the GP2X and with Linux, more options will be available to those inclined to change the UI.

The problem with tabs on the side vs tabs on the top is that you no longer have the intuitive option to change tabs with the shoulder buttons. Also, this layout pretty much requires you to select the running programs on the top with the touchscreen. The UI has to work equally well with either buttons or touchscreen, preferably with as few button presses as possible to get from one function to another.

Chip said:
The problem with tabs on the side vs tabs on the top is that you no longer have the intuitive option to change tabs with the shoulder buttons. Also, this layout pretty much requires you to select the running programs on the top with the touchscreen. The UI has to work equally well with either buttons or touchscreen, preferably with as few button presses as possible to get from one function to another.
Not sure on the look and feel of the corner buttons to a natural association with the top of form but I think the human urge to mash all the buttons and see what they do is strong enough to compensate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think using the shoulder buttons for tab selection would still be fairly intuitive with the tab bar on the side. That leaves the d-pad for icon selection, and whatever key/button command is used to "alt-tab" between programs/desktop. That would negate the need to click on the active programs in the top bar.

Once again thanks for the feedback,

Would anybody who has a dev unit be willing to sample the concept image on the actual pandora screen, to check the redability of text and the size of icons etc. and posibly upload a photo showing the results?

Thanks

Chip said:
I hope, the Pandora GUI arrangement of elements can be customized. Like you can customize the position of elements onto your PC. This should be a must onto a 21. Century Device like Pandora. Nobody uses unflexible, fixed UI's these days.
So we could place the Tab border left or right or up or down etc. :) Same like changing the background colour/image or the complete skin etc.

Shock news: Pandora delayed until September as all the devs are too busy reading the forums.... ;)
craigix said:
Just to let you all know we are watching and reading these threads, I might have something to show you this week.
Thats good to hear. Cruel though, as now we know you have something but we have to wait to find out what....

higgylm said:
Once again thanks for the feedback,

Would anybody who has a dev unit be willing to sample the concept image on the actual pandora screen, to check the redability of text and the size of icons etc. and posibly upload a photo showing the results?

Thanks

Reduce the image to Pandora's Resolution and then put it on a render so you can see how well the pixel size handles the text.

I think the UI looks nice. The big problem as of right now will probably be the text size.

As per the customizeability of the UI, that depends on the method being used to present it. If Pandora uses directfb, the UI has to be coded for that customizeability. If it uses a WM like matchbox, a certain level of customizeability is built in, such as moving the taskbar around.

Megamixman said:
As per the customizeability of the UI, that depends on the method being used to present it. If Pandora uses directfb, the UI has to be coded for that customizeability. If it uses a WM like matchbox, a certain level of customizeability is built in, such as moving the taskbar around.
Come again? What are you on about.

I think it's looking really good, and as DJWillis said, just a few tweaks should be made to make it right/left hand friendly (for touch-screen use). Also, from a programming standpoint, making many of the parts of the interface modular and including a good, built-in configuration utility for customizing the layout would make this a great GUI to be shipped with the system.

TO EVERYONE WHO IS COMMENTING ON THE COLORS: That really is not what these threads are about. People are proposing LAYOUTS, and you should comment based on how well they laid out the GUI components on the screen. Colors/themes can be changed later, but the general layout of the interface is fairly static.

P.S.: Craig, stop telling us you'll show us something in a week! Just show it to us ;)

Orkie said:
That is the Pandora's resolution, what do you mean? :S
Crimenies, you're right. Didn't notice it, since I'm not used to such High Clarity Images for such small screens. My brain automagically said 'Something ain't right'.

DJWillis said:
Megamixman said:
Come again? What are you on about.

If the UI code is made from scratch, there's a lot more work in making things easily customizeable. If X11 + WM (mainly MatchBox) is used, then thats really easy. So although it would be nice to have a highly customizeable UI sans X11/WM, I wouldn't say its high priority.

Especially since it seems that people who don't want X11, want a simple UI. I may be wrong, so please do correct me on that aspect.

Back