Threetab Gui System

yosh64

Website
yosh64.redirectme.net
hey

Well I just come up with a new concept for a pandora GUI and navigation, which I call Threetab navigation :).

1. Select software/service category (Games, Emus, Web, Wifi, Stats, TINXL, Storage).
2. Select sub-category (List contents of a directory or whatever).
3. View info on filmtab (Display/edit information).

The user would have the option to set what is displayed on the filmtab by default, whether that be to display system stats, a wallpaper, your games folder or whatever.

Quick overview

Firstly the category tab is that at the very top, it's basically a set of icons that your can flick through and you can add/remove as many icons as you like. The smaller tab below is the sub-category tab which is just plain text and could display the contents of a directory or whatever, and as you flick through this the highlighted software information will scroll into view in the filmtab below.

This should be quite fast navigation, and the dynamic scrolling filmtab should be quite pleasing to look at and will provide lots of information about all system, services and software :).

Operation in some more detail

By default the category tab will be bright to gain your attention, the sub-category tab will be dark and the filmtab will always remain a constant brightness. So after you have selected your software/service category this tab will darken to lose focus and the sub-category tab will brighten to gain focus and your attention. After you have made a selection in the sub-category tab the filmtab will more quickly scroll into view and you might have the option to go through and edit this information or play a game or whatever.

Finally I thought it might be handy to have a hotkey for a terminal, but I'm not sure about this.

pandoragui1mc7.png

Here is a very quick mockup, I will probably enhance the look a great deal and might even consider making a prototype.

Anyhows I hope you like :).

cyas

Could be interesting, though I can imagine some of the users around here that have a gazillion games won't like waiting long for a menu to scroll to reach their particular game in a particular category.

The rest is cool, though. Reminds me of Finder in Mac OSX. :)

First of all, TINXL? You already know my opinion on that. What would require a full tab for it? I thought it was a framework for implementing online, and a GUI interface to find players. Not a SET of applications. Also, make that in photoshop, or anywhere that has antialiasing.

Leave TINXL out of the GUI's until somebody actually has something to show for it. I sense that project is going to become vapourware.

hey

Hehe, they were just suggestions, you could put whatever you like :p.

Anyhows all that is irrelevant, so back on topic please ;).

javaJake said:
Could be interesting, though I can imagine some of the users around here that have a gazillion games won't like waiting long for a menu to scroll to reach their particular game in a particular category.

Well you can flick through the sub-category as fast as ya can press the keys, and as soon as you make a selection it will scroll very very fast to your selected prog or whatever. But even so there could be an issue with too many things to go through in the sub-category tab, although my mockup is a tad deceiving, as the text will actually be much smaller and such and so alot more things will appear on screen than seen in my mockup. Hmm, so I thinks anyhows, not exactly sure on things.

But yea, this is only a concept at the moment and I welcome any advise for improvements or whatever.

cyas

Last edited by a moderator:
hey

Just me again...

To make things clearer about the size of things I put together some more thingies.

pandoragui2qg0.png

This would be the actual size, but obviously physically the screen isn't this size, it'd just have more dots per inch or whatever.

pandoragui2testlm7.png

This would probably be a more physical correct size, but it would look much crisper than this, as the screen would have more dots per inch or whatever, hehe.

I hope this makes some sense :).

edit
Anyhows I'm not sure if I really like this concept much anymore, might try come up with another.

cyas

yosh64 said:
hey

Hehe, they were just suggestions, you could put whatever you like :p.

Anyhows all that is irrelevant, so back on topic please ;).

javaJake said:

Well you can flick through the sub-category as fast as ya can press the keys, and as soon as you make a selection it will scroll very very fast to your selected prog or whatever. But even so there could be an issue with too many things to go through in the sub-category tab, although my mockup is a tad deceiving, as the text will actually be much smaller and such and so alot more things will appear on screen than seen in my mockup. Hmm, so I thinks anyhows, not exactly sure on things.

But yea, this is only a concept at the moment and I welcome any advise for improvements or whatever.

cyas

to make things easier to find just add a search function right out in the open. As much as I dislike Vista one good thing it had was a very easy and accessible search bar in the start menu.

to make things easier to find just add a search function right out in the open. As much as I dislike Vista one good thing it had was a very easy and accessible search bar in the start menu.

The OS X one is even easier, a small magnifying glass icon in the top right of the screen that expands when clicked. Something like that would work well with the Pandora.

PlopperZ said:

The OS X one is even easier, a small magnifying glass icon in the top right of the screen that expands when clicked. Something like that would work well with the Pandora.

even better :)

Back