Angry Birds without the angry birds?

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
I'm not interested in playing Angry birds, but it's an Android game running on the Pandora. I am interested, however, in trying to use the Android Skype client.

So would somebody be able to post or pm me a link to a copy of the PND minus the AB game, if possible?

I have no idea if it is a simple case to swap the AB bits for the Skype, but I'd like a go

Ta muchly

i think we came to a clear conclusion that the AB port we have isnt from android at all

No, it has been confirmed that it WAS the Angry Birds from Android.

Basically, it SHOULD be possible creating an Android-chroot similar like the Debian in extend, which should make it possible to run more Android games directly on the Pandora.

That would need some developer to do, though.

Basically, it SHOULD be possible creating an Android-chroot similar like the Debian in extend, which should make it possible to run more Android games directly on the Pandora.
I'd love to have a go at that, but I'll be honest, didn't understand a word you said :(

Linux still confuses the hell out of me. At least with Qt I can continue working on my PIM software on Windows while catering for the Pandora's screen size, knowing it's quite simple to cross-compile later

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to have a go at that, but I'll be honest, didn't understand a word you said :(

Linux still confuses the hell out of me. At least with Qt I can continue working on my PIM software on Windows while catering for the Pandora's screen size, knowing it's quite simple to cross-compile later
Yeah, especially if you're fairly new to it the Linux way of doing things can be a bit...different.

The funny thing is I've been using Linux enough where now Windows confused the hell out of me.

Although possible, it is not quite simple. A simple chroot would not suffice.

The android kernel has at least two important changes that are not part of the upstream linux kernel: the binder IPC (the low level enabler of android "intents"), and a non-standard framebuffer.

So, one need to use an android kernel compiled for the pandora, or capture at the application level the calls to those subsystems and emulate them somehow. Either way, it is a lot of work. It would be easier to get Myriad Alien Dalvik for maemo and coerce it to run on the pandora.

As an alternative, wait for the completion of the IcedRobot project: http://www.icedrobot.org/

Well, but the Angry Bird Port runs perfectly on the Pandora, I really hope that the same technics behind this port can be used to make more Android Games run on the Pandora, in a legal way of course. Angry Birds shows us that the Pandora could make advantage of the entire Android Apps Marked...in theory. Exiting times. ^^

Or we could just contact some of the devs of Android based games and ask them to port things over...whether for a price or free. Which seems even simpler than building something to accommodate android games. If AB can be ported over so smoothly other devs shouldn't have much of an issue either with their games.

As an alternative, wait for the completion of the IcedRobot project: http://www.icedrobot.org/
What if the app was written using the NDK as opposed to being Delvik? Couldn't say for sure, but something tells me the Skype client would most likely be "native" code

Or we could just contact some of the devs of Android based games and ask them to port things over...whether for a price or free. Which seems even simpler than building something to accommodate android games. If AB can be ported over so smoothly other devs shouldn't have much of an issue either with their games.
I'm not sure you'll convince Microsoft to port Skype over to a minor platform; it'll be interesting to see what happens to it on the non-Windows platform.

I'd be surprised if many indie devs give it a go, especially if they don't have a Pandora and charge for their apps/games. Who can say for sure though

Angry Birds shows us that the Pandora could make advantage of the entire Android Apps Marked...in theory. Exiting times. ^^

I would expect that most games for android are using OpenGL and native code (this is probable for the Angry Birds port). Emulating/supporting only that is a lot more reasonable than supporting generic android apps.

AFAIK, for games, Dalvik code is only needed to support pre-2.3 devices. From 2.3 onwards the NDK can produce a complete android application (they added the means to create activities from native code).

For applications the story is different; if you want to use android native UI, you have to code in java those parts (and use intents to "talk" to other parts of the system, etc). So for applications that don't use a custom UI, "porting" (in an app-by-app basis) might be a lot harder.

Hope that helps.

It could be phun to use App Inventor sources (the visual blocks language) and compile "native" Pandora games.

"Android Scratch" @Pandora? Cool.

Back