Release Angry Birds for Pandora

Good Lord! You want me to read it again? My brain hurt after the first time! bloody mumbo jumbo. :blink:

I looked at the Licensing for Angry Birds and it's very interesting.

Very funny this title is not open source and it is comprised of open source and they still insist on being draconian about it. :blink:

www.angrybirds.com/licensing.html

Like i said in other topic, many big companies just fu*k everyone from money , using GPL'ed code and demanding to pay a lot of bucks for games that are built on top of GPL'ed libs..

I think we should make a title named Angry Pandora! Should be different box's smashing up little birds laughing and pooping out money. :blink:

SuperGeometryDust as an example is an excellent game, it's also very polished though. Then there is LemmingsSDL, there is Frogatto, there is Battle for Wesnoth, there is BattleJewels, Shootet, etc. All games in the platformer competition (or LD48 while we are at it) have better gameplay than Angry Birds and most of them are far from being polished.
Nobody says the opposite. :)
Well, actually you did...

It's fun, yes, but there are WAY better and WAY more meaningful games out there. There are also WAY more games out there with the same idea in mind, a quick fun for short breaks.
True. But which ones of them run on the Pandora and are that polished? ;)
So I was giving some examples.

Like i said in other topic, many big companies just fu*k everyone from money , using GPL'ed code and demanding to pay a lot of bucks for games that are built on top of GPL'ed libs..
Uhm, using libs to create commercial application is what the LGPL explicitly allows, so any potential rage is misdirected here.

Uhm, using libs to create commercial application is what the LGPL explicitly allows, so any potential rage is misdirected here.

The rage remains anyways for the rudness of the company. If i had a chance to expand the product I was making i would jump on it ESPECIALLY if it was already worked out for me. :blink:

The rage remains anyways for the rudness of the company. If i had a chance to expand the product I was making i would jump on it ESPECIALLY if it was already worked out for me. :blink:
The cost of having your reputation damaged by a poor quality port which you didn't do yourself is a lot higher than the profit by selling said port to an audience of at most 4000 users.

Ahhh...but did they mention that they would check out the port? I would think having the reputation of being narrow minded would not be too good. 4000 users is not a bad start and when the Pandora becomes more popular and there is 8000-10000 or more then a bit of regret may come into play. A avenue ignored is a street of gold covered in dust.

Ahhh...but did they mention that they would check out the port?
Why would they? Checking it out costs money. There is little profit to be made, only a lot of hassle. It's not narrow minded to not support an insignificant platform. If I didn't own a Pandora myself, I wouldn't write software for it either.

4000 users is not a bad start and when the Pandora becomes more popular and there is 8000-10000 or more then a bit of regret may come into play.
I doubt they will even have a second look at the Pandora before it has more than 50.000 users.

It's not being negative, it's being realistic. That's how bigger companies do their computations. Craig approached Opera Software once for porting their browser (they support quite a big range of platforms and I'm sure they could easily do so). Their answer was: "Come back when you have more than 50.000 units sold".

It makes sense. Not all owners will purchase your application and you want to make sure you earn back whatever expenses you make for the development. If you bundle the software with the hardware (thus increasing the price of the unit), you could get away with a much smaller user base. But then the OpenPandora team would be losing sales due to the increased price.

The appstores on mobile phones have opened a new market for small, indie developers to write and release applications without having to care about distribution. I am confident that if we can get the Pandora community to grow and also provide support for commercial sale of software through the repo or appstore that more small-time developers will be swayed to port their applications to the Pandora as well.

These smaller companies will not require the same number of users to consider the Pandora a viable option since they typically have a less bureaucratic (and therefore cheaper) development process.

My daughter loved Angry Birds at age 3; she beat the first 20 levels or so by spazzing on the screen, and she got very good at the game (and Cut the Rope and others of similar vein.)

The interesting point is a 3 year old can play a game that adults are loving; is thast saying its 'accessible' or is 'accessible' another word for 'idiot level of gameplay' ;)

As Ive' said, Angry Birds is a shinied up version of a nearly 35 year old game; but thats okay, it was fun to tool with then, so its fun now. The game play is not much, but its good enough for busy moms standing in line at th egrocery mart, and thats okay. Its not a Real Game, but this is the old debate of Casual versus Hard Core. Casuals dont' care, they're just bored, they'll play anything ;) (There is also Hard Core Without Free Time, which is not Casual, just the same time commitment.)

jeff

I'm only replying again, cause fox said he liked my game. Yay ;)

I disagree on Angry Birds being the same as Heavy Artilery, or whatever the name is. The touch screen alone changes the game. You go from pushing some keys to pick angle and power to sliding and releasing. Then you have the goal; Artillery has you competing with someone. Angry Birds just pits you against some sticks and pigs.

I disagree on Angry Birds being the same as Heavy Artilery, or whatever the name is. The touch screen alone changes the game. You go from pushing some keys to pick angle and power to sliding and releasing. Then you have the goal; Artillery has you competing with someone. Angry Birds just pits you against some sticks and pigs.
It's the only flaw of Angry Birds for me: I can't use physical Gaming Controls. :D Maybe I'm to oldschool but I can't play games straight on Touchscreen with only my fingers, it's to weird to cover your view with it. I use the stylus but I wouldn't have a Problem with propper D-Pad or Nub controls at all.

Game title: Fetches La Vache! (Assuming the python crew didn't lock it down so solid as to not be usable.)

Two player or player Vs AI.

Each player starts with bags of gold and a "King".

Funds are used to buy different wall/barricade bits and "Things to put in the catapult".

Terrain is generated randomly.

Players stack and set their King's placement and barricade bits (AI does theirs too).

Random pick of who's first to set up.

Players pick what they're going to launch from their catapult toward the other player's base. See - Cow.

Players use either the touch screen or nubs to pick angle and power.

BOTH sides launch each volley at the same time.

Objective is to destroy the other player's King first.

Every different barricade bit behaves different.

Every different thing to put in the catapult behaves different. (Rocks (cheap), Sand bags (cheaper), flaming balls, explosives, cats, dogs, chickens and yes, cows. The list could go on and on...)

So - who's going to build it?

there is indeed a Monty Python Cow Tossing game on iOS, it's a not-very-good Angry Birds clone.... :(

there is indeed a Monty Python Cow Tossing game on iOS, it's a not-very-good Angry Birds clone....
sad.png

Ahhh.... So many good ideas have already been taken and done badly.

Back