Release Angry Birds for Pandora

Someone mentioned before that there were some Lua scripts, etc. in there. They may or may not have been easily modified.

Alternatively (and very unlikely) is that Rovio themselves have decided to make a version for the Pandora, and it was simply leaked before launch.

Perhaps this is an attempt at an open-source or at least freeware-alternative engine implementation. I understand that AB is based on Box2D. Perhaps the author in that case doesn't know that this wouldn't be considered "free use".

This to me seems orders less possible than a legit but viral Rovio port, but it is possible.

Honestly, I'd bet my lunch money it's legit, or at least a premature or abortive leak of a Rovio port.

It's a curious one indeed. But until we hear from the horses mouth, assuming they are willing to comment, we can but speculate.

This sort of developer interest would be awesome for the Pandora in many ways. Another feather in the cap to show investors, and more incentive for people to register their interest with the potential new "no-money-down-pre-order".

Shame I don't have my Pandora, d'oh!

"Conspiracy theory": Rovio made a contract to somebody to quickport it on OP [or similar architecture] AB, somebody wasnt paid [or project was scrapped] and developer of this version just released it "unofficially". Some games did realesed in this way: example: Worms Armageddon for BeOS

Oh well, im really happy that it was released, because it might open developers [like ROVIO] eyes for OP. If AB could be ported [easily] then maybe other ports too..

The daft thing is I'd be willing to pay for a legit copy. But hey, when have salesmen ever been sensible?

I'd buy a copy as well! (not that Pandora sales would really add too much to swell their coffers!)

^ That's exactly why I don't think this is legit. The Pandora userbase isn't large enough for this to be a viable option in any business model. About the only useful benefit would be a bit of indie/tech cred beyond the facade of iPhone/Android success.

About the only useful benefit would be a bit of indie/tech cred

Don't undervalue that. There are 3000 or less Pandorae. There are many, many more people who think "helping the little guy" looks good. If it is official, it is undoubtedly for this purpose-- voting with your wallet is the new blind consumerism.

Before the end of next week, the guy who ported this will reveal himself on this site, possibly even this thread. Called it!

Blue you did upload to the pandorawiki, could You reveal some more info? eh?

Last edited:
Shame it's not legit, because it plays really nice.

It's not Java by the way, the pnd contains arm executables / libraries, plus some (encrypted?) lua scripts. I think mobile game developers write games in whatever language, then wrap them in objective-C for the iphone, and in Java for Android. So this is maybe an Android version with the Java layer wrapping taken off? (I could be very wrong about all this).

It uses keyboard controls (e.g. 'Q' to quit, 'E' for menu) so this was developed for something with a keyboard? I'm confused and intrigued by it all.

The game runs smooth, so it actualy can't be written in Java. :D Graphics look and Scale like FLASH Vectors but I also doubt Flash games run that smooth on the Pandora. However, the Game sometimes does not load, I guess it messes up some Things when reiting it's savegames in the appdata dir. So we would need an improved/fixed Version anyways.

I really wonder, how Angry Birds could make their legal way on the Pandora. The game is very polished and shows, what is possible on our Handheld. I wonder, how many other Mobile games would run this way on our Handheld. I really hope, that one day, all of these games also make their legal way on the Pandora, should boost the popularity of our Handheld to a new Level. :)

"Conspiracy theory": Rovio made a contract to somebody to quickport it on OP [or similar architecture] AB, somebody wasnt paid [or project was scrapped] and developer of this version just released it "unofficially". Some games did realesed in this way: example: Worms Armageddon for BeOS
This would be awesome, Worms Armageddon on the Pandora in its full beauty! :)

^ That's exactly why I don't think this is legit. The Pandora userbase isn't large enough for this to be a viable option in any business model. About the only useful benefit would be a bit of indie/tech cred beyond the facade of iPhone/Android success.
They could port Angry Birds within 10 Minutes or so, I doubt it would be a loss for the Makers. I guess that it doesn't cost that much money for a company to port their games to plattforms that are close to their usual platforms, Pandora has actualy Smartphone Guts and the Devs have their Sourcecode. So it is no magic at all.

The excuse "userbase is not large enough" is wrong IMHO, at least for mobile games because it is only little effort to do a nice port of such a game. I more think, all the commercial Devs don't WANT to port their stuff because they made stupid contracts with stupid big companies to squeeze out even more money. :(

Wow, it runs really well with a bit of overclocking. Many thanks to whoever ported this, would love to know the background of how this came about.

For info use the backspace key to exit the application.

The game is very polished and shows, what is possible on our Handheld. I wonder, how many other Mobile games would run this way on our Handheld.

Definitely. I'm more interested in what the appearance of this game means in terms of the potential to utilise apps packaged for Android than I am in flinging birds across my Pandora's screen (fun though that is)

There was no question of agreement. There was a question of legality. I will review the terms of use again.
I didn't mean to imply there was, but I suppose I did. :p

This also raises the issue of needing support for takedown notices on apps.openpandora.org, repo.openpandora.org and the wiki itself (including the removal of history records). None of these sites seem to have an obviously visible link for contacting an administrator.
on each app in the repo there is a link that says "report" at the top left of the app details, this is for reporting any issues with apps be it technical or legal.
Ah, yes. I overlooked that. Seems the repo has all use cases covered :)

One of the wiki admins should be able to find out the IP address of this "Chell". GEOIP that, see if it's out of Finland; that'd give us at least something to start with. Also a good chip to have if Rovio lawyers come knocking.

The links should probably also be removed from the wiki until this is settled, just to be safe.

I know this is a question for separate topic but "How we could even hurt a developer of AB, if OP is not even target for AB" We as a community of users are not the target, so we couldn't buy AB on OP. Im always saying: piracy hurts only when pirated software prevent making money on software, which in this case is not the problem, since ROVIO never tried to release AB on OP.

Last edited:
I know this is a question for separate topic but "How we could even hurt a developer of AB, if OP is not even target for AB" We as a community of users are not the target, so we couldn't buy AB on OP. Im always saying: piracy hurts only when pirated software prevent making money on software, which in this case is not the problem, since ROVIO never tried to release AB on OP.

isnt this a litle bit like saying if I steal a DVD and managed to play it on my lazerdisc player because lazerdisc isnt the movie companies target audiance its ok?

I firmly believe that in the interests of justice, ANY illegal links should be deleted. As soon as I've downloaded the software that is. Would it be OK if someone replaced the GFX of the actual birds with some animated jobbies? They could rename the game "Angry Turds", then it would be a clone not theft. Also, it could give the creator some much needed practice for when the shit hits the fan in real life.

"How we could even hurt a developer of AB, if OP is not even target for AB"
By playing it on our Pandora instead of on our phones. Regardless, allowing such content to persist here could bring ED into trouble.

Would it be OK if someone replaced the GFX of the actual birds with some animated jobbies?
No, it would still utilize the source illegally and thus distributing it would be violation of copyright.

Last edited by a moderator:

isnt this a litle bit like saying if I steal a DVD and managed to play it on my lazerdisc player because lazerdisc isnt the movie companies target audiance its ok?

You could manage to play DVD on LASERDisk ? If yes, it perfectly clear for me and fine, since you're not the target to sell DVD to..

The links should probably also be removed from the wiki until this is settled, just to be safe.

True, but it's a wiki... now we've said this, can't anyone look at the edit history and retrieve said link? It's not going to go away easily.

It's not really a question of whether or not it hurts Rovio. Distributing their IP without their express permission is a violation of copyright law, which would give them grounds to take legal action against OP, the forums, the wiki. We don't want that.

Back