An appointment and boards shipping (2011-07-22)

Yes and no.

Of course, it wasn't CCs fault that we put a stop into production because WiFi had issues and we needed to fix that first.
Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. The WiFi *was* their fault, remember? It was an issue with a trace resistance changing, throwing off the clock. See old blog.
He's talking about this year's WiFi issue ;)

That's possible - though it was unclear from the the ordering in ED's post. Though, while this year's issue was happening, some of OPT made it sound like production was still going on.

But even if it was the recent failure, the post he made about it said "It just seems to not have a proper connection to the antenna – maybe the module is misplaced a bit." I'm don't recall ever seeing more complete details about the problem, but feel free to correct me.

Even if it was unintentional, and hard to detect because of the minimal tests, it would again point towards CC as the culprit - production would still have slowed down if they'd been detected on-site, it just would have meant fewer boards being shipped back and forth across the pond.

Now that the blame has been spread around and I really don't care who did what when, when do I get my April 29th, 2009 pandora? That's all I want to know!

Yes and no.

Of course, it wasn't CCs fault that we put a stop into production because WiFi had issues and we needed to fix that first.
Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. The WiFi *was* their fault, remember? It was an issue with a trace resistance changing, throwing off the clock. See old blog.
He's talking about this year's WiFi issue ;)
That also wasn't CCs fault anyway. CC is simply populating the boards with parts, the boards themselves were etched by a different company which changed the resistance on the traces. CC did exactly what they were supposed to with the resistor they were told to use. Once the trace difference was discovered, they were told to use a different resistor, which they did.

The great wifi resistor conspiracy of '10 had nothing to do with CC. Once Notaz got me a kernel with working wifi code, I was able to determine that the value of a resistor in the oscillator circuit was too high and was creating a weak clock to the wifi chip. I changed the value, told CC and they started making boards with a new resistor. The first 400 boards were already made and shipped to England and so I had to mod each one by hand.

The trace resistance for the clock line was in question but related to the manufacturing of the PCB itself (in China) and also had nothing to do with CC. In fact, I made a rev6 test board with some wifi testing hardware and a very strict control on this clock trace but it made no difference at all. I believe that most of the problem is that the WL1251 is just a piece of shit and TI ditched it and moved on to the 1271 as quickly as they could.

The problems related to what CC did to us are well documented by ED in a respectable and objective way. Well done ED.

Thanks for the news posts ED. I think it's an amazing show of strength to remain balanced and positive through these tough learning experiences.

^ Btw, why is MWeston only "Advanced Member" on the official boards?

The trace resistance for the clock line was in question but related to the manufacturing of the PCB itself (in China) and also had nothing to do with CC. In fact, I made a rev6 test board with some wifi testing hardware and a very strict control on this clock trace but it made no difference at all. I believe that most of the problem is that the WL1251 is just a piece of shit and TI ditched it and moved on to the 1271 as quickly as they could.
Would a lot of rework be required to make a new rev using the 1271?

ED being the man he is, would update this thread as soon as he received the shipment from CC, dam, looks like the shipment hasn't come yet, they need to make planes faster! Ones carrying the Pandora Boards are top priority!!!! :p

According to CircuitCo, they shipped the first batch of fully tested and working boards a few days ago

ED, did you receive them?

is there a tracknumber you can check?

I won't receive it, Craig will.

Haven't had the time to check that during the last days.

Well I emailed Jaquelyn today regarding the batch 1's pcbs that Craig are suppose to be receiving from Circuit Co.

She informs me that despite Craig asking for a tracking number, Circuit Co have yet to give them one.

Is Circuit Co a company that OPT should even be dealing with? I think not if they can't even provide something as simple as a tracking number for the rest of batch 1.

Furthermore no tracking number = if these boards go walkabout or never arrive (which would not suprise me given Circuit Co's track record), then OPT (and Craig in particular) are up the shit without a paddle (if you pardon the phrase). Somebody needs to get the tracking number in order that people who have bought from Craig are at least reassured that they are even going to get their orders.

Last edited by a moderator:
That also wasn't CCs fault anyway. CC is simply populating the boards with parts, the boards themselves were etched by a different company which changed the resistance on the traces. CC did exactly what they were supposed to with the resistor they were told to use. Once the trace difference was discovered, they were told to use a different resistor, which they did.

The great wifi resistor conspiracy of '10 had nothing to do with CC. Once Notaz got me a kernel with working wifi code, I was able to determine that the value of a resistor in the oscillator circuit was too high and was creating a weak clock to the wifi chip. I changed the value, told CC and they started making boards with a new resistor. The first 400 boards were already made and shipped to England and so I had to mod each one by hand.

The problems related to what CC did to us are well documented by ED in a respectable and objective way. Well done ED.

I stand corrected. I apparently had the false assumption that the boards were made at CC, given that it was always called "the board company", and since one of the big reasons given not to switch away from CC was how hard it was to make the board (8 layers, don't'cha know!). I'd also thought that the only part made in China was the case, but I guess I was wrong there, too.

I also apologize - I should have thanked ED in my original post, because it was an excellent summary and update.

I emailed Jaquelyn today... She informs me that

ok if what you say is true so i have a communication problem with her.

-> i asked her to be refund for the tv-cables i have paid (when i ordered the pandora)

-> she asked me my paypal adress

-> i gave it with my order number. Since that day i wait during almost 3 weeks any confirmation or refund but nothing arrives... (2 emails reminders sent)

i thought she was busy but what i'm reading here worry me.

who should i PM to arrange the situation?

I emailed Jaquelyn today... She informs me that

ok if what you say is true so i have a communication problem with her.

-> i asked her to be refund for the tv-cables i have paid (when i ordered the pandora)

-> she asked me my paypal adress

-> i gave it with my order number. Since that day i wait during almost 3 weeks any confirmation or refund but nothing arrives... (2 emails reminders sent)

i thought she was busy but what i'm reading here worry me.

who should i PM to arrange the situation?

Their is a BIG communication problem. I've left answerphone messages asking for them to return my calls. That was weeks ago. Nothing.

I then go chasing people up for a status update by sending emails and nothing - no emails ever get returned. That was weeks ago also. I got so fed up with it I rang the Open Pandora number and complained. They admitted the breakdown in communication was THEIR error. I was offered a free 8 gig SD card, but still they can't even tell me when delivery of batch 1 is due. Still no arrival... All I'm told is despite asking when batch 1 is due, I am told the PCB's have been dispatched to Craig, but they have no tracking number for when delivery of the other batch 1 boards are due. I was only able to obtain the information regarding the tracking of batch 1 after being persistent and digging for answers as to what is going on with my order...

...My last call to OpenPandora, I am told to check ED's posts, only ED has already stated he does not know how many are in Craig's kew. Craig et al are "suppose" to be dealing with a business partner (Circuit Co) only it sounds like nobody has a damn idea what's going on, and dealing with circuit co are like laurel and hardy.

As for your complaint, ring them. If they don't answer the phone or return your messages, then put it in writing AND send it by recorded mail giving an ultimatum that you have already asked for a refund, and they haven't got back to you.

As for myself, I will stick the wait out for another week, then I'm out of this game of mickey mouse.

things are getting worse for me. :(

she answered me with apologies for the absence of replys.

now i learn that she has not read carefully my mails because she told me that she cancelled my order for the pandora entirely (whereas i just asked the cancellation/refund for the tv-cables only)

i was in the 1st batch, what's happening now?

have i definitely loose my queue position? must i reorder an other pandora with the new price and wait an other years...?

what can i do, i've replyed her immediately to say that it is an error and i wouldn't cancel my order for the pandora.

I have waited all the day with the hope to receive a reply. but nothing.

So now i have no order anymore after all my waiting time for so long.

(i can't phone i don't speak english very well, i get too long time to find my words in english, it is more easy to me to write it).

i really need help, maybe Craig or ED could?

now i learn that she has not read carefully my mails because she told me that she cancelled my order for the pandora entirely (whereas i just asked the cancellation/refund for the tv-cables)

have i definitely loose my queue position? must i reorder an other pandora with the new price and wait an other years...?

what can i do, i've replyed her immediately to say that it is an error and i wouldn't cancel my order for the pandora.

(i can't phone i don't speak english very well, i get too long time to find my words in english, it is more easy to me to write it).

Oh dear, more lack of customer service, and poor communications. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure the fact that they never check their mails won't be the last time either as it seems to be a regular thing when reading these kind of reports.

now i learn that she has not read carefully my mails because she told me that she cancelled my order for the pandora entirely (whereas i just asked the cancellation/refund for the tv-cables only)

Hey I'm sure if this is the cAse and your order has been accidentally cancelled, you will be able to reinstate your order in the same queue position as you were. Although customer service is slow at times, due to large amounts of customers and small amounts of staff, they are very helpful and will solve any problems you have (a little pAtience is all that's needed) don't stress, all will be well

I have been waiting 2 years 5 months 7 days 23 hours and 5 minutes and counting. no hurry here! what is another 2 months ^_^

(first mail sent 2009-02-02 but payment was not confirmed until 2009-02-16)

After reading this I have finally decided to cancel my order. I am currently deployed to afghanistan and was just looking for a fun gadget to pass the time. But after getting the run-around from Debs and Jacquelyn who didnt return half of the emails I sent after days of waiting, and finding out that they havent even completed shipment of the first batch of pandoras, I've written it off as a lost cause. I was wondering if anyone could help by telling me how I can go about cancelling my order, preferably via the net due to terrible connectivity of the phones out here. Thanks and good luck to you all still waiting out there.

lucky i am, she asked me to repay the money minus the tv-cables price. she confirms that i can keep my queue position.

i've just done it

i asked a confirmation of the situation (the fact that the money is received and the fact that my order is reinstate) i wait the answer to be ok.

i haven't stressed so much in all my life!

I have been waiting 2 years 5 months 7 days 23 hours and 5 minutes and counting. no hurry here! what is another 2 months ^_^

(first mail sent 2009-02-02 but payment was not confirmed until 2009-02-16)

After reading this I have finally decided to cancel my order. I am currently deployed to afghanistan and was just looking for a fun gadget to pass the time. But after getting the run-around from Debs and Jacquelyn who didnt return half of the emails I sent after days of waiting, and finding out that they havent even completed shipment of the first batch of pandoras, I've written it off as a lost cause. I was wondering if anyone could help by telling me how I can go about cancelling my order, preferably via the net due to terrible connectivity of the phones out here. Thanks and good luck to you all still waiting out there.

Customer number three now unsatisfied about communications and customer service. Any one else want to share their thoughts on how they have been treated regarding non returned phone calls, and unanswered emails?

Maybe after this thread has run it's course then these people will start to actually inform their customers what is going on every time they get a query... As they say in business for every disatified customer, a company will lose 20 potential customers. Their going to lose a whole lot more at this rate.

Back