A fresh new start, Part 2 (2011-07-12)

all the Gigabyte factory is missing in those supervisors hands are some whips. WTF? How is it those bozos just standing around have mask on while the workers don't?

Well isn't it well known that workers are expendable? Reminds me of Lethal Weapon 4 when Roger tells Uncle Benny they found a boat full of dead Chinese, and Benny replies "Billion more where they came from."

Shoot, even here in the states where the laws are designed to protect workers, my brother had to quit a job because they refused to give him basic protective equipment and he had burns and rashes on his skin from the materials he worked with. Thankfully it cleared up after he left otherwise he could have done some serious damage. Hey protective gear costs money, even the cheap masks add up. It's bad enough you have to pay the workers isn't it? :blink:

Lesson here is to go to college, guys. If you can't, get those scholarships ready. And there's no shame in being poor but the one you create for yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:
As promised, here is another blog entry, this time mainly focussing on Batch 2 and the future production.

We also chatted about our experiences with CircuitCo and Nikolaus had some ideas why we had so many different issues with boards.

Additionally, he told me, that normally a proper production run should have a failure rate of about 3%. And from those 3%, some PCBs are fixable.

So far, CC had a failure rate of about 20% (even some more, if I count the ones I fixed because some parts like the volume wheel simply weren't properly soldered).

Not very impressive, so I'm even more eager now to found suitable partners.

Crossing within 2 hours on SMT failure rate of 2% should cause the line to stop and recheck machine settings (control/counting time intervals are mostly set each two hours ; SMT is 24/7).

If after DIP you have 20% rework it means that something is seriously wrong with SMT or DIP (ex: temperature profiles) ; most of devices are to be re-workable but if solder quality is so-so (or boards had to be re-baked due to too long interval between A side and B side) it may affect device lifetime (especially if you have BGA ICs).

Communication with CC - a chapter of its own. :lol:

Is there still contact? Anything "exiting" news about CC and their current "progress"?

Communication with CC - a chapter of its own. :lol:

Is there still contact? Anything "exiting" news about CC and their current "progress"?

I'm communicating with them to setup the custom documents for moving the parts to Germany.

That's currently my main priority.

Once that has happened, it's time to send daily "are you working on the PCBs?"-eMails again.

I bet there is also a script ready to send them

while number_of_boards < 4000 or reply==false:

send_mail(receipent='CC', subject='are you working on the PCBs?')

time.sleep(3600)

Last edited by a moderator:
it isn't better to call them by phone and have a vocal contact?

Back