Aluminium Case - Pictures

don't know why my cc came in a silver case, but i am glad to get rid of it.
Because only the first order of cases where black and they had issues cracking, Refurbished CC units were changed into these silver cases and also if you bought any Pandora after the original order of black cases ran dry.

My Rebirth Pandora is in a black case because I ordered it before the black cases ran out.

A comment on hinge durability concerns: The hinge part only holds one side of the hinge, the other side is held by the case itself. For the aluminium case that would make at least one side of the hinge nearly unbreakable. The hinge part itself only needs to resist force/motions similar to the one needed to separate the lid from the base (like shown on case disassembly video). The hinge part shouldn't take that much stress at all, I think. And if it does, it is cheap enough to replace.

I am more worried about the LCD cable though. The aluminium case could short out the lanes once the cable starts wearing (something which was a non-issue with plastic case).

BTW, if/when the aluminium case is made, an disassembly/reassembly video for it would be nice to have, specially for people planning on swapping the case themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon mentioned possibly making another video of that sort after the cases are ready, and I would also appreciate that a lot.

He also said that there are enough extra plastic shoulder buttons to include a matching color set with every aluminum case sold, in the case that they cannot manage to make metal ones.

The hinge part itself only needs to resist force/motions similar to the one needed to separate the lid from the base (like shown on case disassembly video).
This is actually a really good point. Disassembly currently involves bending the case a little bit in order to push the hinge part out. That's not going to be possible with the aluminum. I hope this has been taken into account in the design and, as you say, a new video with assembly/disassembly instructions is provided.

The hinge part itself only needs to resist force/motions similar to the one needed to separate the lid from the base (like shown on case disassembly video).
This is actually a really good point. Disassembly currently involves bending the case a little bit in order to push the hinge part out. That's not going to be possible with the aluminum. I hope this has been taken into account in the design and, as you say, a new video with assembly/disassembly instructions is provided.
From what I understand the lid front part (ie. where the screen/speakers are) would removable by just loosening the screws (no more crazy strong clips on the edges). I remember asking about those clips on the other thread and got that answer (from ED I think).

I said I wanted it like that, also.  I will try to confirm that someone said it will be done like that.

Found it (it was IDV that said it, not ED):

As the manufacturer of the Aluminum case, I want to end some speculations:

1. Yes, the housing will be redesigned for maxiumum durability and easy manufacturing but still keeping the outer design. With this, all the clips will get replaced by screws.
2. Yes, we will have a very close look at the hinges - a basic redesign of this part is very likely.

Found it (it was IDV that said it, not ED):

As the manufacturer of the Aluminum case, I want to end some speculations:

1. Yes, the housing will be redesigned for maxiumum durability and easy manufacturing but still keeping the outer design. With this, all the clips will get replaced by screws.

2. Yes, we will have a very close look at the hinges - a basic redesign of this part is very likely.

Ok, what I asked for was the display part of the case/lid to be like the Pyra, so it is easy to get into, which requires only screw removal to open it.

Can we request a case be without the plastic window at all?  IDV has said that someone can request theirs be without the hard coat, although maybe the machining step is harder to divide than the hard coating from the machining.  I use a USB wifi nub and would rather have the solid hard lid back, if that is possible.

Can we request a case be without the plastic window at all?  IDV has said that someone can request theirs be without the hard coat, although maybe the machining step is harder to divide than the hard coating from the machining.  I use a USB wifi nub and would rather have the solid hard lid back, if that is possible.
I would imagine not - That would involve multiple designs of the case, in essence; and I would assume that would complicate the manufacturing process

Just ordered a Jet Black aluminium case. I also included black shoulder buttons (since I currently have a silver case) and paid for the new case to be i installed by ED. I don't trust myself to do it  :p

My understanding is that this includes the bottom shell casing and the lid, but not the shoulder buttons. Correct?

While ordering replacement parts, I found a bug on DragonBox shop. On the Pandora Replacement Parts page, both the Nubs and LCD Cable quantity boxes are disabled, rendering them unorderable (is that a word lol). I have sent ED a message regarding the issue.

I'm very exited for the aluminium case. A new case has been a long needed upgrade. What better choice than this to protect my Pandy?!

If the "window" is cut out where the Pandora-logo onto pof the lid shell sits, it should not be disturb and also looking much better than a cut out window somewhere else. But I know that the antenna does not sit behind there, not sure if it works like that. But it would be the best place imho to cut out a WiFi hole. :)

I suggested the Aluminium case ages ago, but was told the wifi would not work. Perhaps it would be an idea to build a rough home made version for testing.

Just a thought.......

maybe they can solve it with a simple Ideas like in my Wlan Mod:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/13052-my-pandora-internal-wlan-mod-with-pictures/

Simple and i can put the Antennas on when i want to use Wlan.

For short Ranges i even dont need a Antenna.
Not bad, no wonder your WiFi quality is so good. ;) Yes, my Pandora could also need this and it also could be an easy solution for the Pandory Alu Case. All it seems to need is an additional hole in the case, plus the new antenna of course.

Back