Aluminium Case - Pictures

Thinking purely of durability, being able to safely stand on the case sounds great from that direction, but if something heavy on top of the case then wiggles left and right then all of the pressure is on the hinge.  I'm nervously imagining damaging the hinge by leaning on the case in my pocket while sitting and causing the two halves to shift against one another, and forever after having a creaky hinge.

This threat can be alleviated though if the top of the front of the lid and the front of the bottom below the keyboard had small metal rises and indentions for those rises to fit into, so that while the Pandora is closed the SD card side of it is just as secured from being shifted as the hinge side is.

Well, the two corners of the existing plastic case fit against the bottom corner keys of the keyboard. Not sure if that helps or not.

I have almost sat on my Pandora before now. Believe me, the heft of it makes itself known well before you are seated.

Thinking purely of durability, being able to safely stand on the case sounds great from that direction, but if something heavy on top of the case then wiggles left and right then all of the pressure is on the hinge.  I'm nervously imagining damaging the hinge by leaning on the case in my pocket while sitting and causing the two halves to shift against one another, and forever after having a creaky hinge.

This threat can be alleviated though if the top of the front of the lid and the front of the bottom below the keyboard had small metal rises and indentions for those rises to fit into, so that while the Pandora is closed the SD card side of it is just as secured from being shifted as the hinge side is.
I have had the same concern.  Building off of your idea, it doesn't need to be the whole lid portion that does this, although that may add more strength.  My concern is if there will be sharp edges somewhere on the edges, or a blade on the lid that might catch fingers if used in the partially open "laptop" position and suddenly closes.  Maybe 2 squares or cylinders on the corners of the lid that go into small holes or indentations in the body can hold it solid (think Lego).

Last edited by a moderator:
These look gorgeous.  I just bought a bunch of other crap so I better give it a week or so before I order or my wife will have a fit.  ;-)

Really torn on the color though, they both look really slick.

@Tenka & rygD:  You guys worry too much.  This aluminum case cannot possibly be weaker than the current plastic case ... And even though IDV said you can sit on it, I wouldn't do that to all my valuable toys ;)

@Tenka & rygD:  You guys worry too much.  This aluminum case cannot possibly be weaker than the current plastic case ... And even though IDV said you can sit on it, I wouldn't do that to all my valuable toys ;)
I am not really worried about durability (except for the wifi window), however with increased weight will come increased stress on the hinge.

Unless I misunderstood, Tenka wasn't talking about sitting on the Pandora.  The concern is sitting with it in your front/side pocket.  For me that is where my leg comes out of my torso, and I sit in somewhat strange ways, which can squish things in my pockets.  I think Tenka meant something similar with "leaning on the case in my pocket while sitting".  For example, put your Pandora in your front pocket and lean forward while sitting.  This may be made worse by putting your foot on your opposite knee while sitting and leaning forward, or various ways of sitting on the ground.

Take the Pandora out when you're about to sit down please ...

It is not comfortable to sit with your Pandora in your trousers' pocket anyway ;)

Having ordered they grey case, and with the knowledge that the wifi window will be black, as well as they keyboard keys and gaming buttons... I sure hope the shoulder buttons are black too.

It's the only logical conclusion...

=~. O =

@Tenka & rygD: You could get a dog-collar with sharp spikes (the kind you'd put around a pitbul's neck) and strap it around the Pandora. It will secure the lid, protect it against theft and will help you remember to take it out of your pocket before you sit down.

Having ordered they grey case, and with the knowledge that the wifi window will be black, as well as they keyboard keys and gaming buttons... I sure hope the shoulder buttons are black too.

It's the only logical conclusion...

=~. O =
I might be wrong, but with grey and black shoulder buttons readily available you could also have both, grey AND black shoulder buttons. You'll need to open the case anyway, so changing them to your liking will Not cause any extra trouble.
Just pop dragonbox.de (and/or ED) a message and ask for the buttons you like.

I'm so tempted by the black one. It looks so nice! But the price D:

I was disappointed not being able to get a black pandora...  :(  and now it is possible (again)

These colors, what does it take to get scratches or worn off paint?

there's no "paint" it's just a form of anodization, so the coating is even harder than the case aluminium, and it can't peel off like paint. it will be pretty hard to wear that

Its the hardest thing to scratch you could feasibly get. Besides, wear on aluminium looks good. Wear on plastic looks tatty. I went with black.

@Tenka & rygD: You could get a dog-collar with sharp spikes (the kind you'd put around a pitbul's neck) and strap it around the Pandora. It will secure the lid, protect it against theft and will help you remember to take it out of your pocket before you sit down.
A strap would only prevent the lid from opening, not twisting and such, which is what would cause hinge damage.  I have very strong doubts of this being a theft deterrent.  The Pandora with the spiked collar would hinder putting it into a pocket at all, which defeats the purpose of the sturdier case.

To those who think it is a bad idea to sit with a Pandora in your pocket, is this not a plausible use case for a pocket sized device?  It is also difficult to remove things from your pocket when, as an example from when I had to sit with mine in a pocket, you are getting into a car seat holding something large that should not be shifted or shaken much.

Besides, wear on aluminium looks good. Wear on plastic looks tatty.
I agree with you on this, especially when the plastic is painted.  Not sure why I prefer the look of one over the other.

I have very strong doubts of this being a theft deterrent.
I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly wouldn't try stealing something from someone that had a heavy lump of metal in their hands, then there's the spikes to think about as well.

I have very strong doubts of this being a theft deterrent.
I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly wouldn't try stealing something from someone that had a heavy lump of metal in their hands, then there's the spikes to think about as well.
That is assuming it is being held in their hands.  I thought we were discussing pocketing this, or otherwise not holding it.

I know of a person that had someone rip the back pocket off of a pair of jeans, and I think there was a rip down the leg, in an attempt to steal his wallet.  The thing that prevented the wallet from going was the chain attached to the belt that was wrapped around his body.  That is how you stop theft.  If there is a fist on the other end of the chain it helps the message sink in.

I thought we were discussing pocketing this
Good luck fitting it into a pocket, at least with the size of spikes that I'm thinking of.

colla000.jpg

Back