Aluminium Case - Pictures

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
You might know that we're currently working to get an Aluminium case made for the Pandora.

We need at least 100 orders (well, 80, as I'll get 20 myself to sell them later), and right now, we are about half-way through.

An issue always had been that there are no pictures available of the case - and that's what I'd like to change.

With the help of the creator of the aluminium case, I made some renderings that should be as close as possible to the real thing.

Here is Jet Black:

JetBlack.jpg

And Mouse Grey:

MouseGrey.jpg

To order them, head over to the shop:

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/pandora/192-pandora-aluminium-case-preorder.html

If you have any further questions, please ask here.

This is greatly appreciated.  That makes the black look so good I think I may be on the fence again.

Thanks for sharing how many you will be getting.  This makes it seem like we are much closer than I previously thought.

Looks really good (and way better than my tries to get something alu-looking with self made blender materials.  :D ). I'm sure these Pix will help to get an better image of the Alu material.

P.S.: you forgot to colour the bottom part of the shown cases.  ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ill be honest i'm interested in getting one of these but id like to know what the return process for the case upgrade would be like? im in australia here so the postage would be brutal but i definitely don't have the skills to take apart a pandora and put it back together right though. i imagine its not quite as simple as ordering and popping it into the post once paid and the cases are available? that said these things look real nice(well the mockups do). well done.

ED, thanks for the renders, I will add them to the Pandoralive post about it. 

How about the wifi plastic window? Is there any hint regarding what it will look like ? I know many people are apparently holding out their purchase until they see what that piece will be like. 

How about the wifi plastic window? Is there any hint regarding what it will look like ? I know many people are apparently holding out their purchase until they see what that piece will be like. 
It will be black plastic.  I don't think any further details have been given because it won't be decided until the redesign, which won't happen until after 100 cases have sold.

Damn, that black is looking real nice. No, I've got to stick with my original choice. I never like any black consoles or handhelds(I have to keep telling myself that) ;)

Chris

It will be black plastic.  I don't think any further details have been given because it won't be decided until the redesign, which won't happen until after 100 cases have sold.
sorry but while I understand that they won't redesign that before it's "funded", I can't imagine that they're not able to quickly draw a concept by hand... even if it will not be 100% like that due to mechanical constraints... showing some render of the old plastic 3d files with new material is nice (and appreciated) but it doesn't show us anything new at all...

not knowing what this "plastic" window might look like (size, placement) is a no-go at his point.

so it's gonna be an aluminium metal case that will look pretty much like the plastic case. it will be heavier and the internal wifi may not work as well as with the plastic case. so what? the internal wifi never worked too well anyways. i always thought i was lucky and my wifi was better than anyone elses until i tested a wifi dongle. totally different game! go buy a tp-link TL-WN725N 150Mbps nano dongle for like 10 bucks over at amazon. it works out of the box and doesnt get in your way at all.

well an aluminium case will probably be heavier, yes. big surprise. what can i say...

i wanted to get an idea of what the colors will look like. but well, the black one will probably be black, the grey one probably grey. what possible shades of black or grey are there that will keep you from loving your pandora (or will make you seriously regret your 99 EUR investment). sure, 100 EUR is a lot of dough, but once you decided you want it and you can afford it, what's your problem?

I don't really need to see it, if I know some things:What is the priority? Are you only including it if it leaves WiFi working perfectly without being too big or ugly or reducing the durability of the case?

The thing is I don't want such a window if it has any downsides in terms of looks or durability or doesn't work absolutely perfectly.

I would want an official statement on this, detailing how it will be decided whether we get such a window and how it looks.

Yesterday I was fixing an ipod touch and noticed it has a plastic window on it for the radios.  I would guess that the Pyra one would look as out of place on the silver one as the ipod touch one does. 

How heavy will it be? If the total weight goes from ~320g to ~400g, that is acceptable, but if it goes to, say, 700g, then I'm not interested.

These colors, what does it take to get scratches or worn off paint? My silver 1GHz Pandora now looks black at all the corners and at the sides after ~1 year of intensive use. My black Rebirth Pandora looks newer in comparison even though it is twice as old and it has cracks.

Will the shoulder buttons also be made in aluminium?

How heavy will it be? If the total weight goes from ~320g to ~400g, that is acceptable, but if it goes to, say, 700g, then I'm not interested.
Weight: The raw material blocks will be around 3 kg, so the Aluminum case will not be more than 400 - 800 g
Will the shoulder buttons also be made in aluminium?
IDV said no, or they'll be sold as extras.

I guess this depends on how thin the case can be CNC'ed but this also depends on how it's be made (like thin material structure with complex supporting "ribs" for example).

This has to be tested by the maker of course, before that nobody will know how much the case will weight.

Back