Aggressive prompting for push notifications?

Grench

Forum Addict!
System seems to be making a strong attempt to encourage users to accept push notifications.

IMHO any site asking for browser notifications permission is simply wrong to begin with. I was rather shocked to see it happening here. Usually it's just the highly commercialized or skeezy sites that do this.

If I wanted to use tapatalk, I would have downloaded the thing. Asking me to do so every time I open the site on a mobile device - with no way to say 'stop asking me' is annoying.

Is this something that the forum software is doing on its own or something @EvilDragon is choosing to have it do?

I'm not sure if notification permissions and Tapatalk are related, are they? I do hate the nagging to use Tapatalk though, although it isn't quite every time I visit.

It appears to be a separate plugin (Tapatalk) that is installable in Xenoforo, from my brief search.

Tapatalk enforced that with an update at some time :(
In earlier versions, you could've simply disable that function, but they removed that.

I just see a bar at the bottom asking for it, there is no need to interact with it (unless you really miss these 2 more lines of forum view), at least it's not a pop-up thing... (on PC).

But maybe with phones is bigger ?

I just see a bar at the bottom asking for it, there is no need to interact with it (unless you really miss these 2 more lines of forum view), at least it's not a pop-up thing... (on PC).

But maybe with phones is bigger ?

Tapatalk ONLY shows on phones. The push notifications is something else, but if you disable it, then that's it.

The push notifications is something else, but if you disable it, then that's it.

@Grench seemed to speak about push notifications too

Anyway, on my end, cookies are deleted at every session, and I suppose that the push permission is saved there (and not in the account profile), because I see the request at every new session.

Shouldn't the browser be handling that, and thus remember?

I'm not sure what kind of push notifications are these in this forum, but I don't see the classic pop-up windows (browser driven) that asks to accept them, and keeps them in the configuration for every domain.

This is a random image of what I see in the other sites:
ecommerce-retention-browser-push-notifications[1].png

Instead here I just see a "link" that points to "https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/account/preferences" ... oh, wait... opening it in another TAB instead of just clicking it shows the options in the profile...

I'll play a little with that.

EDIT:

In the profile, under the "Enable notification" button this is explained:
Enabling push notifications requires a supported device. Enabling push notifications will enable them for this device only. If you log out of this device, you will need to re-enable push notifications.

So these are managed with javascript or something like that, not using the standard features of the browsers.

Anyway, as I was saying before, if I just click the link in the bottom, I see a pop-up window that says them are enabled, but it's not the window I posted in the image before, and the setting is definitely saved on cookies.

EDIT:

I see that the standard pop-up in the other sites appears even with javascript disabled.

Instead, in this forum, if I disable Javascript, the request is not even shown.

Error on my end, with Javascript disabled doesn't work even on the other sites... so the only difference is the way how it is managed.

Last edited:
What you show in the scrrenshot is what I thought you meant. When I look at preferences, it says push notifications weren't supported. So at least I know, why I don't know, what you're walking about. :) I guess, in my case, the forum software doesn't know my browser (don't know if I've got user agent spoofing enabled or not) or it's done via WebRTC. I remember the Pale Moon guys saying, it's too new to be considered a safe thing and they won't implement it, when it became a thing in the big browsers. Don't know, if they caved in by now. Maybe partially?

At the bottom of my screen right now:
Official Pyra and Pandora Site would like your permission to enable push notifications. ((This X is all the way over on the right and so grey as to barely be readable)) X

Click the purposely faint X and:
We strongly recommend enabling push notifications on this device so that you can be kept up-to-date with site activity.
Enable notifications - Ask me another time - Never ask again

Select Never ask again - and it will be back on the next browser or device I log in from or this browser if I clear the cookies - which we should all do frequently.

Effectively the cadence is a 'double opt out' with the most obvious clickable bold result triggering the result that nobody is likely to actually want. Who is the "We" that would "strongly recommend" enabling push notifications (see advertising) to my browsers? Is this ED's "recommendation" or something being pushed by the forum host/software to identify and push advertising on this otherwise advertising free site?

I actually use "push notifications" , exclusively for the Pyra forum, as it only sends notifications to threads in which I am subscribed. Useful when one is a little desperate for tidbits of news, or posts from benevolent prototype owners regaling us with their Pyra stories and photos ;)

When I have my Pyra, I'll most likely turn them off again though...

Only email notify me on a cel phone (nothing on desktop). Subscribing to a topic shoots me an email and the result is the same. Tapatalk pops up everytime I came check news and on every thread I open on this forum.

Firefox has an option (disabled for existing profiles) that blocks all notification requests.

As for the annoying Tapatalk pop-over, that can be disabled by CSS.

There are several user style add-ons that allow one to override website designs with local modifications.

I forgot to add that you can also block the Tapatalk popup via any ad blocker, even on mobile. It's not particularly user-friendly to implement on a smart phone but it does work once you set it up.

Back