Aesthetic Criticism of the Pandora (split from What would you like to see thread)

Can't persuade a forum full of engineers and programmers. :(
The problem is that you "can't persuade", it's that you're trying to persuade people on aesthetics, and as has been mentioned and demonstrated, what one person finds stylish another person finds tacky; what one person finds clean and elegant another finds bland and boring. No one is genuinely arguing that aesthetics have no place, they're simply disagreeing with you on what your opinion of "good looks" is.There's nothing wrong with that.

I love looking at big old bridges and power plants and their switchyards/substations. They are beautiful structures to me. My wife hates them but we live together happily so far :)

As an author some of my favourite looking devices are typewriters. I have two of them..A 1922 Underwood and a 1936 L.C Smith corona pre merger days (typewriter was made for Army pre WW2 And given to family's friends deceased husband during the Korean wars) Typewriters like the LC Smith are completely utilitarian, but they have subtle things that make them look nice. I love that honestly if I could get a Pyra that reminded me of my typewriter I'd be happy.. So yeah. Make it" uglier" I'd be happy.

lcsmith_typewriter_pic.jpg

Mines in mint condition:)
I have one of these

0121-1024x768.jpg

Mine looks a bit different than that one, but it is was made around the same time.  I went for the brown.  I think there might be a spot or two where the paint is a bit scuffed, but it is otherwise in good condition.  The case is a bit rough, with some of the trim coming loose, but still going strong.  Old typewriters, and the Pandora, aren't really ugly.

As an author some of my favourite looking devices are typewriters. I have two of them..A 1922 Underwood and a 1936 L.C Smith corona pre merger days (typewriter was made for Army pre WW2 And given to family's friends deceased husband during the Korean wars) Typewriters like the LC Smith are completely utilitarian, but they have subtle things that make them look nice. I love that honestly if I could get a Pyra that reminded me of my typewriter I'd be happy.. So yeah. Make it" uglier" I'd be happy.

lcsmith_typewriter_pic.jpg

Mines in mint condition:)
I have one of these

0121-1024x768.jpg
Mine looks a bit different than that one, but it is was made around the same time. I went for the brown. I think there might be a spot or two where the paint is a bit scuffed, but it is otherwise in good condition. The case is a bit rough, with some of the trim coming loose, but still going strong. Old typewriters, and the Pandora, aren't really ugly.
I did my psychology homework on it, amazed the teacher since nobody knows how to use one. To be far it worked great.. constantly checking the book on how to spell words drilled it into my skull in time for the tests still there's a bit of soul to them and the Pandora that certain products like Apples lack. I can't put my finger on it.. they're not cold?

My typewriter tends to be more cold to the touch than modern devices.  As for the Apple bashing, I grew up with the Apple II line in my schools and libraries, and I still love my handful of IIes, and some of their other older computers.  A very distinct and lovely look there, too.  I am not too fond of where they went in the last two decades, but there were some interesting things that happened along the way.  I am not a fan of where they are now, for sure.  For me the difference between older devices, as well as things like the Pandora and Pyra, and modern mainstream devices is the modern mainstream devices all try to be the same, and there is less concern for how they will be used or for their longevity.  Aren't many consumer electronics expected to be replaced every few years, if not sooner?  I have been trying to find an inexpensive amber monochrome monitor that is in good condition for years.  I can find an LCD monitor from a couple years ago for less. 

Can't persuade a forum full of engineers and programmers. :(
IMO The general population here works as Developers. The IT/Network Admins or Field Support guys are far less represented.

And yes, you are right. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You are less represented (edit: or am I truly in the minority here?).

There's something satisfying about tactile and audio feedback thats missing from a lot of modern devices. Typewriters, mechanical keyboards, bolt-action rifles, toggle switches, zippo lighters etc all have a charm about them thats hard to explain but the Pandora going for a physical volume wheel is a good example of it. Completely putting aesthetics aside it's still good to have something that feels reliable and gives some sort of feedback which a touchscreen can't really do.

That is like a list of my favorite things.  I never before considered that the Pandora, and other devices with physical controls, kind of fit that pattern when compared to how other things are going.

Red case with black buttons or the opposite would be nice. All Matte finish. Ridge is fine. I think it would look better without a gap between base and lid like the 3ds Xl, but really a non-issue. Haven't touch the Pandora D-pad, so idk. Ingrained buttons look nice, but dat grime. Maybe lessen it. No color. Well maybe red ingrained with black buttons or the oppsite. I worry about grime in the speakers too.

The best for me would be a blood red, much like the forums but with a bit more saturation.

Red case with black buttons (including shoulders, keyboard, nubs etc) and a black screen bezel.

So all red on the outside except for shoulders, and almost all black in the inside (just the lower frame would be red).

The best for me would be a blood red, much like the forums but with a bit more saturation.

Red case with black buttons (including shoulders, keyboard, nubs etc) and a black screen bezel.

So all red on the outside except for shoulders, and almost all black in the inside (just the lower frame would be red).
Rather than dried blood more towards a black with a strong tinge of red to it like so

Black case with red highlights would be nice.

Not sure about all red case - might look too much like a toy.

Remember that there is the led light logo in the back. Red case with red? logo won't look good to me.

On the other hand black with red logo and other details in red may look better.

This I agree with.

I thought mine as wine/blood red with a yellow/orange logo.

And while a bright red would look childish or italian (hello Modena !), a dark shade of red would be classy and unusual; kinda like the Pyra.

In my opinion, as long whe ditnt saw the aktuall Case Design (the one for the 15t December) whe cant know how the pyra realy will look

For me its esential, that the thing will be though,

Meybe i will use it as a phone, whit a real Keyboard etc..

A bit like a Nokia Comunicator..

Dos somewhone know how waterproof it will be??

I dotnt need it to swimm but it would be a bit sad if i stands a in the rain, and wants to call a taxi whit the pyra, but it gets drown by the rain..

Its not necesary how it looks, i need a though little Linux Notebook/Smartlet/Homebrewhandheld

Look at the Gameboy: not realy butyfull, but lots of they are working also this days

I honestly wouldn't mind a matte black case.. Just like the original pandora's after seeing that Matte look It struck at cord with me... either that or aluminum if theres an option to get an aluminum case for the pyra from the get go I'd do it.

Back