Pandora What would you like to see on the Pandora?

Asaggynoodle

Long Term Lurker
So we all know that the openPandora was made for the community. But what i wanted to know for you people who use this amazing device, what would you like to see in the future? It can have to do with Hardware or software, even the shell (looks).

Some things i might like to see:

- openPandora Connect: Which is like a network all open pandora users can connect to, sort of like a Steam (look it up if you're not firmilliar). Which you can download apps, buy pandora games (in the future) like in a market place. Get software updates (soon as there out) etc..

(Wikipedia steam http://en.wikipedia...._%28software%29)

- Different color shells: For people who like other colors, (Red, White, Green, Personally i think a Clear shell with led's would be very cool).

- Some sort of BIOS: Which i can access to change timings, speeds, overclock the CPU... etc. (So you can make it play even more power hungry games)

*update: Firewire port or esata port, To connect to your PC or to a hard drive for a place to save your things, and to transfer data faster than a SD card.

Image for a esata port: http://genesisonestu...0/06/esata1.jpg

*update: A DS emulator, Yes, a Nintendo DS emulator... Im sure if we got a fully working Emu For Modern Consoles like the DS etc people would flock to try the open pandora!. Maybe in the future?

*Brain storms**

Id like to see,

-A webcam (That would be sweet!)

-Upgradable battery sizes (9cell, 10cell, 12cell etc)

***Update: Id really like to see Minecraft! :)

****Update: Cheeper prices... 450$ usd... Is quite alot... Id like to see it @ about 300-350$

***Update: A Pc game emulator (Diablo I, Diablo II, Old Xp and Me games, C&C Firestorm, etc)

*update: A dual Core CPU for the sake of power saving, and multitasking!

*update: A More destinct logo on the system.. Like for example a Mac laptop has a glowing apple on the back. Put the glowing pandora Mark (Would look sweet).

http://www.monkilove...macbook-pro.jpg

Please list what you'd like to see! You never know, you're thoughts might become reality! :) thanks for reading!

Members ideas I like:

What I would like to see in the next pandora (or even this one?) is a docking station. The purpose of the docking station is to keep it attached to a TV. Play a game on the go, get home, drop it in the docking station and continue the game on your TV. Some cool things to put on the docking station would be:

• Recharge (obviously)
  • HDMI
  • USB Hub
  • Controllers (USB? Wireless?)
  • Ethernet Port
  • Laptop Hard Drive slot, or more SD Card Slots

A Dreamcast and Atari Jaguar emulator!!
Visual Pinball would be so cool on the Pandora.
Better WiFi, it's really not fully working well for me still, though I think it is mostly due to signal in my house. I may grab a 9 dBi antenna set one of these days.
Neverball, BigFighter, Nikki and the Robots, Stepmania, Super Tux Cart, Dropbox, Gnash & Ktoon.

All of these have been requested at some point and added to the port request list on the Wiki, so I'm not the only one who wants these. These don't appear to be impossible requests, either.

Other things (That are probably less possible) include:

Improved N64 emulation (I had to say it... I only have 3 games that are even playable in it.), At least some Proof of Concept Dreamcast emu, Some way to play Roller Coaster Tycoon on it (Theme Park World for PS1 is close, but... it's just not the same...), BasiliskII (Power Pete on the go?) & Better 32x Emulation (Knuckles Chaotix' special stages don't work; nothing you touch effects you!)
I'd also like to see R2 and L2 buttons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Visual Pinball would be so cool on the Pandora.

Better WiFi, it's really not fully working well for me still, though I think it is mostly due to signal in my house. I may grab a 9 dBi antenna set one of these days.

Neverball, BigFighter, Nikki and the Robots, Stepmania, Super Tux Cart, Dropbox, Gnash & Ktoon.

All of these have been requested at some point and added to the port request list on the Wiki, so I'm not the only one who wants these. These don't appear to be impossible requests, either.

Other things (That are probably less possible) include:

Improved N64 emulation (I had to say it... I only have 3 games that are even playable in it.), At least some Proof of Concept Dreamcast emu, Some way to play Roller Coaster Tycoon on it (Theme Park World for PS1 is close, but... it's just not the same...), BasiliskII (Power Pete on the go?) & Better 32x Emulation (Knuckles Chaotix' special stages don't work; nothing you touch effects you!)

- openPandora Connect: Which is like a network all open pandora users can connect to, sort of like a Steam (look it up if you're not firmilliar). Which you can download apps, buy pandora games (in the future) like in a market place. Get software updates (soon as there out) etc..

(Wikipedia steam http://en.wikipedia...._%28software%29)
have you seen the repo? You can download appLications, buy game(s) and get updates, I believe there is a local client for it as well (PND store?)

- Different color shells: For people who like other colors, (Red, White, Green, Personally i think a Clear shell with led's would be very cool).
Would depend on selling higher volumes to make it worthwhile. You can alway repaint a black case. We already have spare led connectors, so a clear case would be fun.

- Some sort of BIOS: Which i can access to change timings, speeds, overclock the CPU... etc. (So you can make it play even more power hungry games)
Why do that with a bios? We can overclock from within the desktop enviroment quite easily (up to 1Ghz sometimes)

*update: Firewire port or esata port, To connect to your PC or to a hard drive for a place to save your things, and to transfer data faster than a SD card.

Image for a esata port: http://genesisonestu...0/06/esata1.jpg

Please list what you'd like to see! You never know, you're thoughts might become reality! :) thanks for reading!
http://news.softpedi...ds-154900.shtml

Full SDXC 4.0 would be nice.

I'd like a polished media player setup (booting into xbmc, for example)

with full use of pandora inputs and refined power management.

In the long term, I'd like expandora accessories. (T shaped usb dongles/adapters, produced by OP, with chips that are known to work with linux)

expandora:

Thank you all, for your posts. I like most of the idea'ss posted and im sure if we get some coders/devs these things can all be very much a reality!

Thxx!

*update: A DS emulator, Yes, a Nintendo DS emulator... Im sure if we got a fully working Emu For Modern Consoles like the DS etc people would flock to try the open pandora!. Maybe in the future?

wait wait wait... the pandora only has one screen! There's no way this can be done...

wait wait wait... the pandora only has one screen! There's no way this can be done...

But thats were you're wrong! :D

Think about it, its a touch screen... And if the emulator divides the screen in half (Makes it wide screen) then it would work! But the issue im having with the emulator im making is CPU usage... But i got it down to only 48Mb Max Ram usuage. Its running 48% on my cpu which is A dual core @ 2.8Ghz.. Meaning that i need to cut almost 1.8Ghz of power out of the emulator... Still working! :L

But thats were you're wrong! :D

Think about it, its a touch screen... And if the emulator divides the screen in half (Makes it wide screen) then it would work! But the issue im having with the emulator im making is CPU usage... But i got it down to only 48Mb Max Ram usuage. Its running 48% on my cpu which is A dual core @ 2.8Ghz.. Meaning that i need to cut almost 1.8Ghz of power out of the emulator... Still working! :L
sorry mate, 'one screen therefore no DS emu' is something of an in joke round here :) the real reason is that the DS is very hard to emulate, especially on lower powered computers (like the pandora)

Oh, it runs, at 5 fps max in 2d games :)
Having said that, almost anything will techically run on the pandora, even modern windows games, if you could emulate all necessary hardware and had a huge swap partition on a class 10 SDXC card. The performance doesn't bare thinking about though!

Having said that, almost anything will techically run on the pandora, even modern windows games, if you could emulate all necessary hardware and had a huge swap partition on a class 10 SDXC card. The performance doesn't bare thinking about though!

With that said a High RPM HDD or SSD (like 16Gb) Would be a nice upgrade! :D

Its running 48% on my cpu which is A dual core @ 2.8Ghz.. Meaning that i need to cut almost 1.8Ghz of power out of the emulator... Still working! :L

What emulator? desmume? What game? Based on the memory usage probably not a very recent one..

You're gonna have to do way more than that. Your CPU at 1GHz is much more powerful than a Pandora at 1GHz, something like 2-3x more powerful.. so get it running on your PC at 400MHz and we'll talk. Oh and the overhead for video is totally different too.. if you're using HW rendering you'll have a big overhead copying the frame buffer to combine it with the 2D graphics. And if you're using software rendering you'll need a ton of CPU for that.. if we're talking desmume it'll run especially badly since it's float based

Its running 48% on my cpu which is A dual core @ 2.8Ghz.. Meaning that i need to cut almost 1.8Ghz of power out of the emulator... Still working! :L

What emulator? desmume? What game? Based on the memory usage probably not a very recent one..

You're gonna have to do way more than that. Your CPU at 1GHz is much more powerful than a Pandora at 1GHz, something like 2-3x more powerful.. so get it running on your PC at 400MHz and we'll talk. Oh and the overhead for video is totally different too.. if you're using HW rendering you'll have a big overhead copying the frame buffer to combine it with the 2D graphics. And if you're using software rendering you'll need a ton of CPU for that.. if we're talking desmume it'll run especially badly since it's float based

Well, for the sake of time saving I started with a program called DesMuMe Running Nintendogs (Love the game)... (i found it to be the most stable of any PC Emu) Then i ported it to .Pnd... From there i just descided to try and work down the power required by the system... I also found that by matching the Refreshrate with the screen rate -1 it gave me an enormous performance boost... (why im not sure..) Then i changed the audio encoder (Takes about 400mhz just for audio) And changed it down to only 8bit-22150Hz sound quality.. which brought the usage down to only about 170Mhz from 400Mhz... I still need to optimize the video to only use open Gl instead of running it throught the cpu.. (A Overclock for the 3D acceleration soon)... Which then should get me within a 10% Performance margin of being just right.. .Then the process of Debugging the sceens/controlls, we all know binding keys is a pain.. :L

&& since there is alot to be done, im going to keep this a private release until its atleast in a alpha stage! :D

Why would you want lots of built in storage? I think the current setup with twin 300Mb/s SD 4.0 cards and maybe 2GB of NAND would be impressive.

<wakes up> Hang on! Someone is actually doing a DS emu for the Pandora? Where's the catch? Ah! You haven't got a Pandora (see below); so why "ported it to .Pnd"

I'm extremely happy! I cant wait for the Open-Pandora to be the next big thing.

Also i cant wait for Feburary when i can get mine! :D

Thxx so much!

Why would you want lots of built in storage? I think the current setup with twin 300Mb/s SD 4.0 cards and maybe 2GB of NAND would be impressive.

<wakes up> Hang on! Someone is actually doing a DS emu for the Pandora? Where's the catch? Ah! You haven't got a Pandora (see below); so why "ported it to .Pnd"

I'm extremely happy! I cant wait for the Open-Pandora to be the next big thing.

Also i cant wait for Feburary when i can get mine! :D

Thxx so much!

Yes? Haha... So? This is a thread about What you want to see in the future not about who has one and who's getting one?

Second you can run any aplication in a sandbox with a dual boot of the source code xD (including .pnd)

So you're testing the .Pnd in a virtual Pandora? Fair enough. ;)

Back