What Kind Of Homebrew Games Would You Like To See?

Vince2501

Other then the usual quirky puzzle games and the typical shoot 'em up. No offense to the makers of those kinds of games, but I personally would like to see something a little different.

What I'd like to see is a Bionic Commando-styled game. Particularly one resembling the training stages from Bionic Commando: Rearmed. If someone can simply nail that swing mechanic down, ignoring the Run 'N Gun aspect, it would be something I would play quite a bit.

NVM, I misunderstood the meaning of the thread. Sorry.

I would like to see someone take a crack at making Abuse 2. I have signed up for drawing classes and have been fooling around with pixel art a tiny bit (I'm quite bad though).

Vince2501 said:
Other then the usual quirky puzzle games and the typical shoot 'em up. No offense to the makers of those kinds of games, but I personally would like to see something a little different.

What I'd like to see is a Bionic Commando-styled game. Particularly one resembling the training stages from Bionic Commando: Rearmed. If someone can simply nail that swing mechanic down, ignoring the Run 'N Gun aspect, it would be something I would play quite a bit.
I haven't played Rearmed, but I have played the original Bionic Commando...on a vintage NES. Those were the days...before I was born actually, but the NES and Genesis were the first consoles I played, if not the first I owned (that was the SNES).

Anyway, I agree. It would be cool to see some homebrew point and click adventure games, like the ScummVM ones, since it seems to be an uncommon genre these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom` said:
Anyway, I agree. It would be cool to see some homebrew point and click adventure games, like the ScummVM ones, since it seems to be an uncommon genre these days.

Agreed!

I'm open to surprises, though; it's kinda nice not knowing exactly what people are going to make.

I hope for dosbox with Sierra games, ex King Quest, Space Quest , Leisure Suite Larry etc. with touch screen support.

I will use TV-out a lot, so I would like lots of games and emulators with Wiimote / Wii's Classic Gamepad support. It would be great an emulator (or game) using the Wiimote as a Mouse or a lightgun and using several Wii's Classic Gamepads for multi-player games.

A turn-based strategy Game like Advance Wars but with a GOOD AI. :)
good AI and homebrew are usualy 2 different things but because even the Pandora will be mainly a single-Player Device, there are a need for such Games that can be played alone.
There is a GP2X project about a AW Clone but this project seems currently discontinued (but not dead)

I really wish, that some guys will have the moot to make a great strategy game for the Pandora. There is no need for giga-graphix and ultra-sounds but the Gameplay itself should be perfect and the AI should be good enough to be a challenge. I really want to play such a game against a AI and NOT against a MAP (in AW, the AI usualy has their power because of unfair balanced Maps against you )

So gogogo, Devs! ;)

Thruster from mentis. A great homebrew for tapwave zodiac and gp2x.

Thruster_image3.jpg

And Orbital Sniper:

orbital-sniper.jpg

- Some virtua cop style game which works with wiimote and lightgun when using pandora on a real TV
- A race driving simulator (I m up for making a kart racing simulation game - but I m not saying I m doing it fosho, I only think it would be fun to make one)
- Some cool 3D Games, not only 2D Homebrew like we know from the PSP scene
- Ports of closed-source games (This is something I m working on)
- A compiler/programming language on the pandora itself (Something I will probably start with in the near future)

//Edit: Who remembers this?

mamba.png

I would love to have a fully working, feature rich, impressive looking remake of this!

Any kind of 2D platformer, I'm a whore for that kind of stuff. :lol: And it may be a bit ambitious, but if anyone is willing to try to capture the essence of Braid in a homebrew game, I'd love to see the result.

I *was* working on a homebrew game developed in Fenix but hit some glitches and abandoned it. The game was going to be called "Joey Kepler: Orbital Mechanic" inspired by Martin Schweiger's "Orbiter" (www.orbitersim.com).

The idea was that you were a Satellite Repairman, flying in your spaceship from your space station out to damaged satellites, repairing them, and then coming back home with limited fuel. Sort of like Space Taxi with a circular gravity well.

The game made proper use of orbital mechanics, and I'd actually worked out Kepler's Laws of motion forward (position based on time and orbital elements) and backward (orbital elements based on position and velocity) to calculate and display elliptical orbits. There was even a docking computer that showed time to orbit intersect, deltav, distance etc.
You had to time your thrusts carefully to arrive on target with enough fuel.

Unfortunately I was having some real problems with FPS. It turns out that recomputing an orbit during a burn (and showing the corresponding ellipse) with 30fps update is kinda hard on my GP2X. That and I was frustrated with my attempts to show a rotating, scaling earth... A graphic of the earth looks jagged when rotated and scaled.. When I realized the game had to be overclocked to work, I shelved it.

Maybe with a little more oomph from the Pandora I might try to bring this back.

Trevor Bradley said:
I *was* working on a homebrew game developed in Fenix but hit some glitches and abandoned it. The game was going to be called "Joey Kepler: Orbital Mechanic" inspired by Martin Schweiger's "Orbiter" (www.orbitersim.com).

The idea was that you were a Satellite Repairman, flying in your spaceship from your space station out to damaged satellites, repairing them, and then coming back home with limited fuel. Sort of like Space Taxi with a circular gravity well.

The game made proper use of orbital mechanics, and I'd actually worked out Kepler's Laws of motion forward (position based on time and orbital elements) and backward (orbital elements based on position and velocity) to calculate and display elliptical orbits. There was even a docking computer that showed time to orbit intersect, deltav, distance etc.
You had to time your thrusts carefully to arrive on target with enough fuel.

Unfortunately I was having some real problems with FPS. It turns out that recomputing an orbit during a burn (and showing the corresponding ellipse) with 30fps update is kinda hard on my GP2X. That and I was frustrated with my attempts to show a rotating, scaling earth... A graphic of the earth looks jagged when rotated and scaled.. When I realized the game had to be overclocked to work, I shelved it.

Maybe with a little more oomph from the Pandora I might try to bring this back.
The game sounds very interesting(limited fuel/ressorces and the efficient use of them) . I would really like to see this on the pandora :)

Tashi said:
The game sounds very interesting(limited fuel/ressorces and the efficient use of them) . I would really like to see this on the pandora :)
Either Fenix needs to be ported to the Pandora, or I'll have to recode in another language (which might be a good thing).

The interesting bit was the orbital mechanics. There's some very non-intuitive physics that need to be learned. For example to slow down to catch a satellite ahead you you need to thrust retrograde (backward) away from the satellite, to decrease the size of your orbit. Slowing down to speed up.

Here's a video I made about half way through development to test the mechanics out. I advanced a fair bit further than this before shelving it....

Orbital Mechanic Test Video

That's so cool!
You've got to do something with it!

Zooming in more and more, and closing in on the target and finally docking with the sat. Getting the burn points -just- right. Excellent!

PurplePup said:
That's so cool!
You've got to do something with it!

Zooming in more and more, and closing in on the target and finally docking with the sat. Getting the burn points -just- right. Excellent!
OK, but only because you guys are so awesome...

Orbital Mechanic Test 30 (for gp2x)

Warning, it runs at 266Mhz by default and it somehow glitches up Gmenu2x after you quit. (reboot fixes). And if it's not obvious, it's incomplete...

Controls:
up/down: Lock prograde/retrograde
left/right: rotate left/right
L/R: thrust forward/backward
X: Chase View
Y: Orbit View
B: Orbital Sync Computer: Switch between Intersect 1 and 2
Start/Home: Quit

Have to get within 50km and hold to fix satellite... And right now that's all you do.. there's no end game.

Would like to fix up graphics (earth, ellipse drawing), thrust, improve vector computer, add music, sound, voiceovers (Old Lady Voice: "Sonny, I just have to have ma stories... can you fix the television for me?") storyline, instructions, etc. And of course Fenix and I have an animosity towards each other so I need to find any crash bugs and clean them up.

Back