What Type Of Plastic Would You Like The 'craiginator' To Have?

Possible choices with examples:

• Dull Plastic - some Chinese PMPs, GP2X?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rough Finish - Cowon Q5

• Smooth, no gloss - i-Station M43, Compal UMD IBX10

• Glossy - Nintendo DS, Sony PSP

• Other - choose and post your favorite device if you feel it is in its own category

• Total voters

MWeston

Internal Development
Website
openpandora.ca
Hello. This is just a poll to see what your favorite plastic case would look and feel like. I have my own opinions, but what would be your favorite style in a handheld that stays in your sweaty, greasy hands for hours at a time? :)

The poll choices are basic and extend across the range of dull to shiny. Lets discuss our favorite devices for their physical case attributes. Everyone's opinion is important so please don't rag on people for speaking up :)

Oh, and I am sorry if the GP2X doesn't have a dull finish. I don't own one, but from pictures I have seen, it seems to fit that category.....corrections welcome!

skintanium!
well, as i did say before, i would love to have an alu case, just makes it look/feel a lot more valuable.

oh, btw, this doesn't really belong to "general gp2x" i moved it to the "other consoles" section for the time being.

Vimacs said:
skintanium!
well, as i did say before, i would love to have an alu case, just makes it look/feel a lot more valuable.

oh, btw, this doesn't really belong to "general gp2x" i moved it to the "other consoles" section for the time being.
Thanks Vimacs, you're right. I was keeping it close to the "new handheld" topic, but this makes more sense.

Here are a few images to save some searching:

This is my favorite rough plastic (Cowon Q5):
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MW...07/DSC_0007.jpg

And an example of smooth, non glossy (lots of devices out there):
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MW...007/M43_003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was clad in sandblasted anodized aluminum that would be cool. Of course that could be pricey.

Anything that doesn't show fingerprints gets my vote; it's bad enough my GP2X screen is always all finger-printed but the case gets pretty grubby looking too - smooth cases are bad news for sloppy people like me.

atomicthumbs said:
I put glossy, but how about a "crystal" option for people who want to see (and show off) the components?
Maybe, but if all the main guts end up in metal cans to pass FCC regulations there won't be much to see :)

MWeston said:
atomicthumbs said:
I put glossy, but how about a "crystal" option for people who want to see (and show off) the components?
Maybe, but if all the main guts end up in metal cans to pass FCC regulations there won't be much to see :)

Hmm... put fake components inside? Reduce the clock speed to 200Khz?

:p

Smooth no gloss rubber effect skin like the Gizmondo. if not possible, smooth no gloss is what is needed :)

Edit: I know that many would like Aluminium, but... We're being asked what type of PLASTIC we would like... I don't want to spoil all the fun but I'm quite sure that Aluminium isn't plastic :lol:

I am not sure if it falls in the no gloss or the dull plastic category, so I have chosen "other": I prefer the same exact plastic as the one the GP32 used, it takes shocks well, not a grease or scratch magnet, and it's cool, MWeston, can you add another poll in this topic for the color? I guess a choice between white, black, grey or others will be more than enough, anyway I prefer white, this color is perfect for all handhelds (IMHO).

I am honestly so proud that our opinions are considered with the Craiginator, time for some democracy after the fascist role of GPH :D

A vote for smooth no gloss here, because rough plastic just feels odd to me and glossy plastic tends to be a fingerprint magnet.

As for colour, i'd pick either black or silver.

X-Code said:
Smooth no gloss rubber effect skin like the Gizmondo. if not possible, smooth no gloss is what is needed :)
Edit: I know that many would like Aluminium, but... We're being asked what type of PLASTIC we would like... I don't want to spoil all the fun but I'm quite sure that Aluminium isn't plastic :lol:

i voted "other" so i said aluminium/titanium/stainless steel. id rather have them than a cheap plastic casing.

Back