Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

funny-food-fails-toddler-biscuts.jpg

To be fair, he took the balls out of the one on the left. He's got twice as many balls as any one else :p

But what about the ads in the magazines I read?
Leaving undefined the sorts of magazines you read leads to speculation. So, tell us, which magazines or give us an example of the ads....

Ideas worthy of Absurdism corner: Use your pandora as a clapper lamp (sound-activated electrical switch)
* use tape to tape your pandora to the ceiling
* use rec (from sox) to start recording (to /dev/null) when sound is detected and only record half a second
* once rec finishes we know we received a sound,
* toggle the light intensity of the screen's backlight with /sys/class/backlight/*
* loop

alternatives:
1. Additional electronic device required: Use GPIO and toggle, say, KEY_COFFEE.
2. Additional mechanical lever required: Use a magnet near the enter key to toggle SW_LID (which is normally triggered by the right speaker's magnet when the lid is closed)
[doublepost=1515322693,1515322570][/doublepost]
for blazingly fast 256kb/s internet.

for downloading 1Mb file it would take:

For 2Mbps ...... 3.8 seconds
For 1Mbps ...... 7.71 seconds
For 512kbps... 15.62 seconds
For 256kbps... 31.25 seconds
For 128Kbps... 62.5 seconds

ERRATA: mixed up kb/s with kbps

1000 kbps (kilobits per second) = 1 Megabit per second
1024 kibps (kibibits per second) = 1 Mebibit? per second
kb/s could be kilobytes per second or kilobits per second... if you have a weaselworded provider.

• Kbps means kilobits per second. Used in reference to download and upload speeds.
    • It takes 8 bits of data to equal 1 byte.
  • KBps stands for kilobytes per second. Used in reference to file size, or the amount of data transferred.

To get to https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/ it requires downloading 930Kb ... which is around 1Mb...

Last edited:
@FBnil Shouldn't 1Mb / 1Mbps equal 1s?
D'oh... you are right. It would only take 4 seconds... this is faster than I get with my Pandora...

If and only if 256kb/s === 256kiB/s

You see, some providers want to pump up the rookie numbers.

b = bit and B = byte (8 bits). M = m = Mega, which could be 1000 (most of the cases) or 1024 which would have an extra "i".

Last edited:
@FBnil I think you forgot to differentiate between b and B.
I don't like to use metric kilo in the context of bits and Bytes, but IIRC it's the convention, when it comes to data transmission throughput - at least with bits.

Here's one. My grandmother is paying $40 for blazingly fast 256kb/s internet. And on her bill, it's considered "high speed"
That is "high speed". Each internet speed tier has a specific definition. High speed is anything faster than dialup (57kbps). I remember when Broadband was classified as starting at 4Mbps but I think it's 10Mbps now? (edit: it's 25mbps since 2015) The important thing to remember is the FCC is trying to reclassify the term broadband to be weaker than it currently is because there's a lot of rules around "broadband" and by weakening it companies can get away with a lot more BS.

Back