Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

The first movie was great, the second one was a bit "meh" and the series should rest in peace.
I hate the habit of giving modern reboots the same name as the original as if it doesn't exist anymore, call it "Ghostbusters 3", "Female Ghostbusters", "Ghostbusters - SJW Edition" or whatever and there wouldn't be any confusion for younger generations.

Yeah, speaking of films with the same name, the new RoboCop left a very bitter taste, as a real fan of the original. That was a film that didn't really need (or desrve) the shit sequels and series it got :(

However, you have to remember that these films aren't exactly made for us, now. They are made for the younger generation, that perhaps have little to no expectations or knowledge of the originals and too much disposable cash!

It's sad that Hollywood feels that they need to reboot/remake than come up with new and original stuff, but sometimes established names sell, and sell well. Even if the new GB movie sucks and doesn't win at the box office, I suspect the toys and other merch will keep the tills ringing.

However, you have to remember that these films aren't exactly made for us, now. They are made for the younger generation, that perhaps have little to no expectations or knowledge of the originals and too much disposable cash!
That. And to be honest, if I had been older back then I probably wouldn't have liked the first movie either.

Yeah, speaking of films with the same name, the new RoboCop left a very bitter taste, as a real fan of the original. That was a film that didn't really need (or desrve) the shit sequels and series it got :(

I quite enjoyed the robocop reboot, but it really shouldn't have been called robocop (and they should have stuck with the black suit IMO). It's not really a corporate satire unlike the original, when the world really needs more satire of big corporations, but I liked that here both the wife and gary oldman's scientist had emotional journeys to go through (even if oldman's journey was rather sudden), while in the original it's really just Peter Weller's robocop who has to come to terms with who he is (with support from Nancy Allen's fellow cop).

I didn't see this at the pictures, after the popular backlash, but was surprised in how well it stood up as its own film when I caught it later for free on TV. I do appreciate that searching for 'robocop' in wikipedia takes you to a page about the '87 original, and not the remake though - it's not nearly as culturally significant as the original one.

I still like the idea of an gender-swaped Ghostbusters Movie. And before the Movie isn't released I will not judge over it. Trailers say nothing about how good or bad a movie is, it only can indicate if you may like the movie or not. When will people learn that.
I usualy watch Movies before judging, except the new Bay-Turtles of course, I will not destroy my precious childhood with these! :p
What can I say after watching certain Movies? Well, Total Recall Reboot was crap, Robocop Reboot was even more crap, Terminator 5 was better than T4 but still crap, Transformers goes more and more crappy from Movie to Movie, Abram's Star Trek reboot is only medicore and I doubt I will ever see the recent "Fantascic Four" Movie after reading reviews and how it bombed badly at the Boxoffice (no surprise I think).

So speaking of films:
I heard, Roland the gunslinger, in the new Dark Tower Movie will be black, instead of white like in the book..
No offence hear, i like black charakters (Will Smith, Eddy Murphy, Mr T, Morgan Freeman..)
But its a bit whyrd..
I mean i remember when Roland met Detta/Odetta Holmes, Detta calld Roland "White Bread" or something..
This dosnt work when Roland is also black..
Anyway, as long Stephen King dosnt have a Problem whit this..

At least i have the pictures i made in my mind when i wrote the books, and the Dark Tower Graphic Novels..

But when i look on pictures from the Set, whit the Black Gunslinger, then i tink, he looks realy awesome..
But mybe too clean for a Roland from Gilead:
Too less scars,
In the Old Days, when Roland wasnt the only Gunslinger, they had too beat there teacher in a brutal battle, to got the right to own the Guns of theyre elders, otherwise, they would get send too the west...

Seems like i have to get mee more of the graphic Novels, once i be done whit my Discworld Books..

once i be done whit my Discworld Books..
I'm reading through those chronologically too for a while (with other books in between, currently Jules Verne). How far have you got yet?
[doublepost=1463943376,1463942706][/doublepost]
feature.jpg
JH2rQ.jpg
YryhF.jpg

At the Moment, im read the book, where Nanny Ogg and Esme Wetterwachs (the german names of the 2 Witches from Lancre) went to Ankh-Morpork to the Opera..
The english title is "Maskerade"..

Next will be "Feet of Clay"
Booth are in one Book which is quite usefull..

But its my last book whit 2 Novels in One Book,
The next are singlebooks..

At the Moment, im read the book, where Nanny Ogg and Esme Wetterwachs (the german names of the 2 Witches from Lancre) went to Ankh-Morpork to the Opera..
The english title is "Maskerade"..

Next will be "Feet of Clay"
Booth are in one Book which is quite usefull..

But its my last book whit 2 Novels in One Book,
The next are singlebooks..
Then you're farther than I am. My last one was Moving Pictures (#10) although I've already read some of the later ones.
My favourite from Terry Pratchett isn't from the Discworld series though and is called "Dark Side of the Sun".

Totally, the last one I could not bare watch 1/4 of it. Uttermost crap and an offense to the original masterpieces.

I partially disagree, the originals were not made considering our generation claims and neither are the new or the other ones.
I recall violence on the original robocop was an issue back then and it suffered some censorship worldwide.

It's sad that Hollywood feels that they need to reboot/remake than come up with new and original stuff, but sometimes established names sell, and sell well. Even if the new GB movie sucks and doesn't win at the box office, I suspect the toys and other merch will keep the tills ringing.
It is important for them to cash and keep old IP. Similar to reboot of many old games.

I thought im a pretty slow reader klumpen,
Somethimes, the Books are laying weeks on my beed whitout i read them..
I have a french beed, which give a lot of space to sleep whyle some of my gear also lay on it..
(Book, 3DS, Pandora, Ipod)..
Once i wrote the first dark tower book on only one day, but usaly, i need some week when i read every day..

Also its acording to the book: Ken Follets "the pillars of earth" was pretty big, whyle some manga are done one on afternoon..

I watched an ad for the new Ghostbusters while Fear the Walking Dead was on. It seemed good enough to me, and much better than I expected based on many people's reactions here and a couple other places. I decided to watch the trailer, and that doesn't seem too bad either.

Is it a reboot or a continuation set in the original universe? What are the problems people have with it?

I don't feel anything is taken away from my enjoyment of something by things that are based onn or inspirred by it. Funny enough, an ad for the next Star Trek film just came on. I love the old stuff, even when it makes no sense chronologically, or all the other inconsistincies and issues (which add to my enjoyment and appreciation), and don't really consider the new films to be a part of that (even if Nimoy's appearance and the back story comic tried to piece it all together). I watch the new stuff and consider it to be a watered action movie that might win some new fans (and result in profits for those that own the rights to the franchise, which might be good for the long time fans eventually, although it seems they don't give a damn about the fans sometimes). Kinda like Transformers. When I watch the 12 Monkeys series I try not to think about the film, as they are different things. I could probably piece together all the timelines to make it work, but they don't try to link to the movie. Stargate is another story, and even if they changed a few things when transitioning from the film to the later series, I was ablee to enjoy them each on their own, and just use the film loosely as the back story for SG-1.

I am sure I could go on and on about this. Instead I will watch the new Ghostbusters movie, which features some actors I like, and try to enjoy it. It doesn't matter if it is a continuation or whatever, if I think it is fun and interesting then it served its purpose for me.

Also, I appreciate their taste in cars...

Is it a reboot or a continuation set in the original universe? What are the problems people have with it?
Because they are all sexist..but psst, they don't know it yet: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/18/the-soft-sexism-of-hating-on-the-new-ghostbusters. Maybe even "soft racism" ? I mean while Winston was/is an African American, he is pretty much an errand boy in the first movie, while in the new movie the black character looks to be equal to the others. So for no apparent reason (other then I would like to pull this out of my bottom), they are not only soft sexist but also soft racist.
But getting back into the realm of logical thinking, personally its 80% tonal/humor issues - like the puking ghost or the off the shelf black women stereotype and I guess the 20% is probably "I don't like it, because its different".
I won't watch it in the cinema, probably rent it digitally some months down the road > That is the cool thing about sped up modern times: Back in the 80s I had to wait endlessly till some movie I would like to watch finally made it to the video store. So my father could rent it and I could watch it too: my father had a lax/"non existent" attitude regarding showing R-rated movies to his (6-10 year old) son.
But all in all, I am pretty much open to "reboots" or "remakes" - in the end that isn't something new at all, Hollywood is using this cash in model for a while now.
The Star Trek movies, are Ok, but in the end, they where action movies in space, professionally made, but with bad scripts. I will probably see Star Trek Beyond in the cinema: the crew itself is great and maybe with another director at the helm and Simon Pegg writing the script it turns out to be a great movie, who knows ?

Last edited:
while Winston was/is an African American, he is pretty much an errand boy in the first movie
How was he an errand boy?, He was hired in as additional help for sure. But all the Ghostbusters were busting ass on the field because they were so busy.

And Winston seemed to be the only one with common sense most of the time (although for the sake of laughs, at least in the second one, he was also wrote the fool sometimes). I can't tell how things will be for the new one, as they all seem like idiots...but it is Ghostbusters, and it looks like they are giving exactly what you would expect from some of the actors.

Back