A Stranger In The Fog Knocks On Craig's Door

Iorgy77 said:
THE PANDORA DOESNT HAVE A BUILT IN CAMERA GET OVER IT.
We were talking about the possibility of a built in camera in Pandora 2 and why we would want one.

Nova said:
I'm not going to argue with you anymore, I have no need to justify my post to you and hopefully at least one other person will see it as a viable alternative to drilling holes in their pandora, suffice it to say that what you see as "we have already talked about it" is actually one ot two persons bringing it up and you dismissing it out of hand. Maybe you suffer from some kind of superiority complex, but oddly enough the views of all pandora users do not correlate perfectly with yours.
I'm not going to drill a hole in my Pandora and most people won't, some will get a webcam or use a regular camera. We were talking about a built in camera for Pandora 2 and why that would be a good improvement.

x68000 said:
Please keep this on topic and talk about the features the Pandora actually has.
Sorry about stealing your thread :( I don't know if there's much to say about the existing features, there's little new to talk about that hasn't already been discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
x68000 said:

:unsure: Perhaps if you'd answered some of the questions people had asked you earlier in the thread then it wouldn't have drifted off topic?

Mr.Gonzo said:
An handheld will never have the quality and usefulness of real cameras in my opinion.

No, a lower quality camera would be of... lower quality. The self-same argument can be used to illustrate the point better, perhaps - a handheld will never have the quality and power of a real games console, in my opinion.

Whilst potentially true - at least in the short to medium term - that does NOT mean that a handheld system is useless - it has uses, some of which will be dictated by the very fact of its size. So it is with a camera. the main bit of electronics the Pandora was meant to replace, for me, was a Pocket PC with a useless camera in it. I started off hating the camera and not using it, because if I want to take a photo I will take a camera! Except... I came across situations repeatedly where a picture was worth more than a thousand words (or at least worth more than a thousand of mine) and I didn't ahve a camera with me. Except... except I did, on my Pocket PC! So I GOT the photo that I would otherwise have missed. Some of them were, while technically poorer than I'd take with a better camera, a vast improvement on no camera at all.

Some fo them were, admittedly, completely useless. But I got used to the fact that having a camera in my handheld computer - right there, in the computer that instant - was "a good thing". For me.

Mr.Gonzo said:
when a camera is potentially needed, it is hanging from my neck, no need to start an app or anything, just point and shoot right on time.

Sadly, I don't carry my camera with me everywhere. I have relented and now have a camera on my phone, but it's far from convenient there - so I've got a poor camera in a poor location.

Pleng said:
x68000 said:

:unsure: Perhaps if you'd answered some of the questions people had asked you earlier in the thread then it wouldn't have drifted off topic?
Perhaps if you actually read through the thread, you would see that i have answered questions.

Also, perhaps you should attempt to be less of a smartarse.

I've checked through the thread and it appears that, yes, you did eventually answer the questions asked.

Still, people didn't seem to want to talk any more about what you had to say. So, had this thread not moved onto the camera debate it would have simply fallen off the front page all together. So what odds does it make?

The stay-on-topic monsters seem to be out em masse at the moment and it's getting really irritating. Conversation ebbs and flows, it moves on from one area of discussion to another. Trying to control that is impossible.

Pleng said:
The stay-on-topic monsters seem to be out em masse at the moment and it's getting really irritating. Conversation ebbs and flows, it moves on from one area of discussion to another. Trying to control that is impossible.

Its called netiquette, if you want to discuss adding a camera to the pandora 2 start a new thread. If everyone was like you and just posted random stuff in the wrong threads/forums information would be impossible to find and this place would be a mess and completely useless. Its not impossible to control it just takes some self control and moderation.

:back on topic: @x68000 I am curious if there was any flex in the pandora, some cheaply made devices can be twisted and flexed and make a creaking noise. Usually a small device like the pandora with thick enough plastic wouldnt be prone to this though. My DSPhat for example does this but doesnt feel that cheap. Also LCD viewing angles, did you try to peak at the screen from different angles? Could you clearly see it if it was being held/used by someone next to you for example?

@lorgy77

It would be kind of rude for x68k to just waltz into Craig's house and start muscling his Pandora. It would remind me of one of those gut wrenching Office episodes. Specifically the US series, Dwight starts testing a baby carriage in the most brutal way possible. I wonder if Craig would say anything as x68k hooked up the prototype Pandora to a car hitch and started dragging it around.

"Do you hear that squeaking sound?"

Yeah, point taken, but you can usually tell if a device feels sturdy or slapped together just by firmly gripping it and seeing if there is much play in the plastic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8450385.stm

Back