A Stranger In The Fog Knocks On Craig's Door

x68000

Mega GP Mania
Just been over to see Craig at Pandora Towers and wanted to share with you guys and gals my findings!

First Impressions

I was unsure what to expect when i first clapped eyes on the Pandora, half of me anticipating it being a heavy, bloated and unpocketable device. There was no need to worry though as it is smaller in the flesh (plastic) than it looks in the pics. Very compact and very pocketable.

The Controls

The biggest worry for me would have been dodgy controls, ala GP2X - Spongy Action buttons and naff D-Pad. The good news is that the D-Pad feels excellent, very Sega Saturn/Megadrive like, this is better than could have ever been expected from a homebrew device. The action buttons are also in a different league to the GP2X, have a good level of travel and no spongy response either, they also feel well spaced from one another. Analogue nubs have been a big talking point round here and after forking out 100k to develop and manufacture them from the ground up, I can see why Craig is so pleased with them. They feel well weighted and balanced with excellent feedback and a good level of travel from their centres. A huge improvement over what Sony managed on the PSP.

The Keyboard

I didn't expect much usability here, but was astonished at how usable it actually is despite the small form factor. The keys sit well above the handheld, allowing plenty of travel, excellent for such a small device. I managed to type a few sentences whilst holding the Pandora and typing with my thumbs - Totally painless.

Screen

I tried some early builds of N64 , MAME and Megadrive emulators, basically the same as you have seen in the videos so won't comment on that, but i will mention that the screen coped brilliantly with the fast moving scrolling of Sonic & Knuckles with no noticable motion blur - A wholesale improvment over the PSP.

Summary

Whilst taking the elevator back down to the Ground Floor in Pandora Towers HQ, i felt a mighty sense of relief, ecstatic that nothing has been botched up or just plainly swept under the carpet. I understand how frustrating the wait has been for all concerned but can assure everyone that it will be worth the wait when you get the finished product in your hands.

In my eyes, the Pandora is everything the GP2X should have been and a whole lot more.

Pics

I brought over the new DSi LL to compare size with the Pandora. Ropey quality pics below.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

Xd, at this rate Craig might have to start a new pandora lurkers appointment book.

wish i could go.

or maybe if Craig charged for every visit then adding it to the devs fund? just joking

Once upon a midnight dreary, while Craig pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious system of forgotten lore,
While he nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at his chamber door.
" 'Tis some visitor," he muttered, "tapping at my chamber door;
Only this, and nothing more."

Ah, distinctly he remembers, was the month after December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly he wished the morrow; time that China sought to borrow
From his patience and his sorrow, sorrow for the late Pandor'.
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Pandor',
Shipless here forevermore.

Then this geezah stood beguiling his sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the DSi he bore,
"Though thy crest be shorn and shaven thou," Craig said, "art sure no craven,
Ghastly, grim, and ancient geezah, wandering from the nightly shore.
Tell me what the lordly name is on the Night's Pandorian shore."
"FFS," quoth x68, "open the door."

Thanks x, it's about time someone else got there hands on this thing. I was starting to think the last hands on at Ed's was a dream or something. Good to see someone with GP2X experience give it a go. Now if the next test cases can be perfect, we ALL might get a chance to finally play this thing in short order!

Chris

Thanks for that x68000.

Did you find the device heavy to hold while typing? It is 330g so i'm wondering what you or anyone else thought of the weight while using it for extended periods of time.

Gruso said:
Once upon a midnight dreary, while Craig pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious system of forgotten lore,
While he nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at his chamber door.
" 'Tis some visitor," he muttered, "tapping at my chamber door;
Only this, and nothing more."

Ah, distinctly he remembers, was the month after December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly he wished the morrow; time that China sought to borrow
From his patience and his sorrow, sorrow for the late Pandor'.
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Pandor',
Shipless here forevermore.

Then this geezah stood beguiling his sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the DSi he bore,
"Though thy crest be shorn and shaven thou," Craig said, "art sure no craven,
Ghastly, grim, and ancient geezah, wandering from the nightly shore.
Tell me what the lordly name is on the Night's Pandorian shore."
"FFS," quoth x68, "open the door."
Priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:
rmm21 said:
Thanks for that x68000.

Did you find the device heavy to hold while typing? It is 330g so i'm wondering what you or anyone else thought of the weight while using it for extended periods of time.
Comparing it to the DSi LL which i brought with me, it is noticably lighter. I cannot imagine anyone having an issue with the weight.

The 'states are too big. It would take me probably more than 5 hours of driving to go to the nearest contributer here.

Kloplop321 said:
The 'states are too big. It would take me probably more than 5 hours of driving to go to the nearest contributer here.
I fortunately live 3-4 minutes away from Craig :D

x68000 said:
rmm21 said:
Thanks for that x68000.

Comparing it to the DSi LL which i brought with me, it is noticably lighter. I cannot imagine anyone having an issue with the weight.

party_animals_e0.gif

x68000 said:
Kloplop321 said:
I fortunately live 3-4 minutes away from Craig :D

DUDE, take a video next time! And make sure there is Raman somewhere in it :p (And that HAT craig wore outside with the snow!)

x68000 said:
rmm21 said:
Thanks for that x68000.

Apparently the Dsi LL is 314g (wikipedia)... I don't know the exact weight of the Pandora with the latest case but we were always told 330g.

I suppose a weight difference of 15-20g would be pretty hard to detect once you're over 300g. The lighter feel of the Pandora could be due to better balance. Nice to hear either way.

Back