A Stranger In The Fog Knocks On Craig's Door

Phawx said:
I originally thought of having a larger screen for Pandora 2, but if you look at the videos, a screen can only get wider. I.E. instead of the current 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio, it would be more like 2.39:1. Which would then be a custom screen and cost a bunch more. I was thinking that there was more room to grow diagonally with the Pandora, but there really isn't. If OP went to a larger (diagonal) screen we would start sacrificing pocket-ability.
The DSi XL is 21 x 8.4 mm larger then the Pandora. If people think that is too big then there's nothing to do about it, we just have to wait and see about size I guess.

Nova said:
Clip it to the lid and away you go. Sorted.
Apparently you also don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC i actually have one of these somewhere:

labtec-notebook-webcam.jpe

I remember that working in linux, after some driver sorting, but that was a long time ago (1 year or more).

Awakening said:
Nova said:
Clip it to the lid and away you go. Sorted.
Apparently you also don't get it.

Apparently you're a massive tool. I was just suggesting an alternative to modding the shit out of your Pandora as soon as you get it.

There's no point in suggesting an alternative that's already been suggested and discarded as not fit for purpose.

does anyone know where to get the insides of a webcam?

if we could just get at least 0.3/VGA camera we might be able to
pop it in over or below the speakers, some usb cable and go?

Maybe you can get a webcam module as a laptop/netbook spare part. All those webcams should use USB.

Pleng said:
There's no point in suggesting an alternative that's already been suggested and discarded as not fit for purpose.

You are discarding the device, not anyone else. I'm so sorry you're not gonna get a webcam in your Pandora, but here I suggested the next best thing (and it's cheap). It's essentially what the GO cam is to the PSP. I know it's not perfect, but it fits the job. Don't be an asshole and bite my head off for suggesting it, yeah?

But its already been discussed. Somebody else has suggested it already and the interested parties didn't find it an appealing solution.

DroneB Dev said:
does anyone know where to get the insides of a webcam?

if we could just get at least 0.3/VGA camera we might be able to
pop it in over or below the speakers, some usb cable and go?

This is basically what I was thinking, since there's probably no way to conveniently get an internal connection and avoid filling one of the external ports...

I think SparkFun carries webcam internals?

Pleng said:
But its already been discussed. Somebody else has suggested it already and the interested parties didn't find it an appealing solution.

Yes, but there may be some less vocal parties, who don't mind this solution and hopefully did find it useful. It's not doing you any harm by being here is it? Kindly calm down.

One example of what an outward-facing cam could be used for, in addition to simple visual captures:

This is just one example demo, there are plenty of other augmented reality projects starting to brew these days, and I wouldn't mind tinkering with one some time. :)

EDIT: Just found this one, it looks rather clever (although I think their scientist guy probably ate one too many 1UP mushrooms);

Nova:
If you are talking about using an external webcam connected to the USB then we have already talked about it and most of those who want a built in camera doesn't want an external camera. Thus I say that you don't get the idea of a built in camera as you have suggested something that is not a good alternative.

skyeyemachine:
Both games looks really cool thanks for the videos :)

Bought an eyepet today, turns out the playstation eye camera works fine under linux kernels 2.6.29 and up iirc.

so yeah, some cool linux webcam/camera apps would be nice

Awakening said:
Nova:
If you are talking about using an external webcam connected to the USB then we have already talked about it and most of those who want a built in camera doesn't want an external camera. Thus I say that you don't get the idea of a built in camera as you have suggested something that is not a good alternative.

skyeyemachine:
Both games looks really cool thanks for the videos :)

I'm not going to argue with you anymore, I have no need to justify my post to you and hopefully at least one other person will see it as a viable alternative to drilling holes in their pandora, suffice it to say that what you see as "we have already talked about it" is actually one ot two persons bringing it up and you dismissing it out of hand. Maybe you suffer from some kind of superiority complex, but oddly enough the views of all pandora users do not correlate perfectly with yours.

Last post on the subject by me.

RE: the Gizmondo thing: back when the giz was out, this almost drove me to purchase one. It didn't come out though and I'm fairly glad I didn't blow a wad of cash on that heap of mafiosa 'gaming' crap.

Have you seen invisimals for the psp? That's also a good example of what can be done with a camera.

Iorgy77 said:
Is this thread still being ruined by off topic built in camera whiners?

THE PANDORA DOESNT HAVE A BUILT IN CAMERA GET OVER IT.

There's no need to be aggressive; you don't have to participate in the discussion if you dislike the content. Besides, the thread hasn't so much been derailed as it has changed direction by this point, if you ask me... :p

Anyway, I don't think we really are whining about it. The people who want a camera at this point will either mod one in or they won't, and pretty much all the discussion regarding that feature has been directed towards how that would work, or how a camera might benefit a very hypothetical 'Pandora 2'. Everyone knows the device has been finalized and there's no point in complaining about it, whatever their 'missing' feature might be, so what's wrong with discussing what-ifs? :)

Go update your facebook status with pics of you not whining about the pandora not having a camera built in and not whining about how a clip on USB camera isnt good enough. :D

Iorgy77 said:
Go update your facebook status with pics of you not whining about the pandora not having a camera built in and not whining about how a clip on USB camera isnt good enough. :D
If I had a Facebook account, I might just do that, but I'd rather not-whine about it here once and then go mess with my newly acquired Arduino instead...

Priorities, y'know? :p

Besides, I've moved on from not-whining about how the Pandora lacks a camera to not-whining about how it's going to be 'very interesting' to add a camera in without torching my new shiny, so hey, progress!

Now to drill the hole...careful now...*BZRRRRRRGGNNNNBZRAAAPAPAPZAAP* OH MY GOD I JUST KILLED ALL THE HOPE NOOOOOO

Back