A schedule! For real! (2011 - 02 - 28)

Is CircuitCo also a small company, cause now I really dont understand whats taking them so long to put together 4000 or so boards. this is ridiculous.

No, it's not. The PoP OMAP is actually pretty complex.

I asked the company in Germany (the ones who produce the iControlPad), and they needed about 10 weeks for 1000 units, just because of the PoP.

I also asked multiple companies, but as long as you don't go to some huge company (who won't care producing anything below 10.000 units), it's hard to even find a company that does PoP.

The Pandora board is pretty complex. 8 layers with OMAP PoP, that's a pretty hard thing to produce.

Usually, CC does normal SMT, which is pretty fast (they now got 6 machines for that), but that PoP is not very widely used, so most companies don't have the proper machines for that.

If CC keeps producing 1000 units per month from now on, expectable and reliable, then I'm really feeling reliefed.
I want to know if I pay the difference could I get the premium unit instead cause I am tired of waiting for my order???

We should have shipped about 1900 units so far,
That the exact number isn't known is somewhat disturbing.

1900 - (2500 to ED & others) ~ 1650. From what I can tell reading the community pages, we're only up to order @850 in the CraigIX queue. Yes, many people bought more than one unit, but there seems to be a big disconnect in those numbers.

This --^

Why is Craig's queue so far behind?

Last edited by a moderator:

1900 - (2500 to ED & others) ~ 1650. From what I can tell reading the community pages, we're only up to order @850 in the CraigIX queue. Yes, many people bought more than one unit, but there seems to be a big disconnect in those numbers.

This --^

I would guess RMAs (ive had three already)

This --^

I would guess RMAs (ive had three already)

They would have to have over a 50% failure rate to accomplish this feat... and why just Craig's queue? I'm assuming they were all plucked from the same assembly.

ED, could you please do us (long time) waiters a favor ?

Please publish the shipped number of Pandoras from each shop on a (regular) weekly basis !

I can do so for my shop, but not for Craigs, as I don't know how many he ships when.

I shipped 10 today and will spend the next hours assembling and testing the next ones that will be going out tomorrow.

I want to have the 60 I still have left finished this week, since I still get about 60 - 70 from Craig from the last batch he got.
ED, I appreciate your answer. I know you are really a nice guy and try to be helpful as good as possible.

Why not put something like that on the Current Status page, for instance every weekend:

• Weekly Shipping Status

Sat 26. February 2011 : EvilDragon : 60 units shipped

Sun 27. February 2011 : Craigix : 120 units shipped

Sun 6. March 2011 : EvilDragon : 80 units shipped

Sun 6. March 2011 : Craigix : 160 units shipped

Of course a bit better formatted in a table.

I hope it's possible for you to get the numbers from Craigix. It would be kind of strange if not.

I'm sure, with this simple approach, you keep us informed and save probably a lot of time answering posts !

These are the kind of details people are asking for IMHO !

In Craig's queue they haven't passed the 1000 mark yet. Because my order is right around there (950 - 1050).

I would like some form of shipping update too, but include the Order Date (sod the time after day one), it'll give people an indicator of where we are and should be universal between stores.

You guys may want to protect us from the truth as not all of us can handle that, but this is supposed to be an open project. It would be nice to know a little more about the rate of shipping.

The good January that promised a quick end to batch 1 and then a bad February (bad for not knowing where we were until the very end) has knocked me for six.

Still, thanks ED for posting the details you have.

I believe the exact number can be determined, but it would mean going back and counting all the different shipping confirmations, so instead they give estimates

Well, it's not easy to do a proper queue of what's happened.

e.g., in my shop system (osCommerce), I've got the status "Pandora paid preorder". As soon as it has been shipped, I set the status to "Complete", like every other order in my shop as well.

So to find out how many I have shipped, I have to manually sort them out.

Now, if someone bought some accesories later, he got their own order number for that one as well. So there are orders with "Pandora paid preorder"-Status that AREN'T even Pandoras, but accessories.

Currently, I've got 488 orders with "Pandora paid Preorder"-Status. I counted them manually, about 30 were no Pandoras, so that me at 458 Pandoras I still have to ship.

I still got about 50 here I have to assemble and I still have to get the units from Craig he got from the last batch from CC (should be around 70).

Originally, I had about 800 orders (though I don't know how many cancelled, guess about 50).

So:

750 order originally, 458 still to ship from me, probably about 400 at the end of this week and 340 shortly after I get the next units from Craig.

This is all what we CURRENTLY have, without taking in account that CC will ship the next about 1000 until early April.

Half of 750 is 375, so with what we currently have, we've got more than half of the units, as I said above.

I have no idea though how Craig handles the orders, whether they have some system that can spit out an order queue or if they have to count manually.

It might be a system that simply displays the list of what's left to ship, without any number or possibility to export that data. If that is the case, Jacquelyne would have to manually count each order to find out what the queue number is.

As she's stuffed with work (I even got some mails from her Saturday and Sunday night!), it might happen you make a mistake with that huge amount of orders. If you're tired, you might also make a miscalculation, as she needs to remember that I also get a share of units and then calculate how many...

It might be even worse: Maybe they have different queues as well!

One queue for the bank transfers, one for google checkout, etc.

For shipping, it's easy: She takes a look into the different queues, checks the order dates and then selects from what queue the next unit will be.

But to find out what queue number you are, she would have to check each queue for the date and then count them all, etc.... not easy.

Depending on their shop system, it might not be so easy giving accurate numbers.... works about right with my own queue, but I've got way less orders (and therefore cancellations, etc. as well) and maybe their system is a bit awkward to do something like that.

ED, for the queue position issue... couldn't each queue export a list that somewhere associates "order time" <--> "order number", then just import all lists into a spreadsheet and sort by date? Since I've not seen the interface I may be way off in my description or thinking.

I'm fine with estimates, but if you have to count even for those (albeit quicker than if you wanted 100% accuracy) wouldn't doing the combined list be faster for estimates too?

e.g., in my shop system (osCommerce), I've got the status "Pandora paid preorder". As soon as it has been shipped, I set the status to "Complete", like every other order in my shop as well.

Now, if someone bought some accesories later, he got their own order number for that one as well. So there are orders with "Pandora paid preorder"-Status that AREN'T even Pandoras, but accessories.

Currently, I've got 488 orders with "Pandora paid Preorder"-Status. I counted them manually, about 30 were no Pandoras, so that me at 458 Pandoras I still have to ship.

I still got about 50 here I have to assemble and I still have to get the units from Craig he got from the last batch from CC (should be around 70).

Originally, I had about 800 orders (though I don't know how many cancelled, guess about 50).

So:

750 order originally, 458 still to ship from me, probably about 400 at the end of this week and 340 shortly after I get the next units from Craig.

This is all what we CURRENTLY have, without taking in account that CC will ship the next about 1000 until early April.

Half of 750 is 375, so with what we currently have, we've got more than half of the units, as I said above.

I have no idea though how Craig handles the orders, whether they have some system that can spit out an order queue or if they have to count manually.

It might be a system that simply displays the list of what's left to ship, without any number or possibility to export that data. If that is the case, Jacquelyne would have to manually count each order to find out what the queue number is.

As she's stuffed with work (I even got some mails from her Saturday and Sunday night!), it might happen you make a mistake with that huge amount of orders. If you're tired, you might also make a miscalculation, as she needs to remember that I also get a share of units and then calculate how many...

It might be even worse: Maybe they have different queues as well!

One queue for the bank transfers, one for google checkout, etc.

For shipping, it's easy: She takes a look into the different queues, checks the order dates and then selects from what queue the next unit will be.

But to find out what queue number you are, she would have to check each queue for the date and then count them all, etc.... not easy.

Depending on their shop system, it might not be so easy giving accurate numbers.... works about right with my own queue, but I've got way less orders (and therefore cancellations, etc. as well) and maybe their system is a bit awkward to do something like that.
Ok ED, that sounds pretty good. I'm calm now, I'm calm. LOL

I've resisted chipping in with another request for updates, but I have a humble suggestion that has not AFAIK been put forward before.

"There are X pandoras remaining till the end of batch 1". Updated every Friday.

My reasoning:

• Unlike stats on shipped units, I simply cannot imagine that the team does not have access to this information.

• What with cancellations + queue-jumpers, our queue positions are so far out of whack that they are worthless. Knowing how many people are still waiting (and how fast that number is dropping) would really useful, and gives a nice sense of momentum.

• Added bonus - this makes OPT look good every time there is a cancellation - I mean, if ~1000 people have cancelled, and ~2000 have been shipped, that's only 1000 till the end of batch 1! If anything, the number of units shipped under-represents actual progress as far as waiting customers are concerned.

• A countdown is a nice positive way to bring everyone together. Like New Years Eve or something. We could even have a party :)

Just my 2c anyway, back in my box I go!

[*]Added bonus - this makes OPT look good every time there is a cancellation - I mean, if ~1000 people have cancelled, and ~2000 have been shipped, that's only 1000 till the end of batch 1! If anything, the number of units shipped under-represents actual progress as far as waiting customers are concerned.
It's less than 1000 until the end of the 2008 orders. The cancellations were replaced with new orders in 2009, but these are still "batch 1".

when i asked this new information in the status page, craigix answers me that all will be shipped by the end of march (see: )

now things have changed with this update, so i understand that people ask for this information

This doesn't feel right...

You, CraigIX, Fatih and Mweston were able to design the hardware, software and source manufacturing for a bleeding edge hand held device.

Either the whole order entry, fulfillment and tracking system is all printed out and held in a file cabinet or it is in a database.

If it is in a database, it should be able to be queried or exported.

We're talking about a fairly small amount of data here. Small enough to be workable in a set of spreadsheets in a pinch. Easier still if it can be queried in SQL or exported from the order system and imported into MySQL or PostgreSQL. Yes, those would take some time to set up. Maybe a day or two for an expert, maybe a week or two for someone who has never touched a database - depending on the amount of data and the various formats it is housed in. If you were a giant company with data silos everywhere it might take 6 months to a year.

I had thought that the Pandora was only a portion of your businesses. Are you and CraigIX really working with stone tablets and chisels for your order & inventory systems? This would be a hard one for the community to chip in on helping you with. Privacy laws, access to names & addresses, etc. mean that you can't simply dump your data to the forums and ask for help organizing it.

I'm not meaning to be overly critical of how you're doing it - more trying to make sure that the team knows that there are solutions with free software that could handle a lot of this. Heck, the numbers and data size are small enough that it should run happily on a Pandora.

Grench

You, CraigIX, Fatih and Mweston were able to design the hardware, software and source manufacturing for a bleeding edge hand held device.
I think that's the point. Excellent engineers are usually not very good with administrative tasks. The whole order entry for the Pandora could be even tracked in a Excel spreadsheet. This seems to be a complete mess to me.

that means.... I will get mine sometime this week!

Ah, you ordered from me?

Well, I had the units lying around since last week, but didn't manage to find some time to work on them, so sorry :(
sure did, order number 2716

no worries ED

3 units before you... so probably you'll get a shipping confirmation tomorrow ;)

so with the ones you have (50) and the part of the batch from Craig that is coming (70) you get up to around 2760 (this week) / 2830 (next week / 14 day') (give or take a few other non-pandora orders / cancellations etc)

Nice, I start to like my 2789 a lot better now, there is a small light at the end of the tunnel :)

I think that's the point. Excellent engineers are usually not very good with administrative tasks. The whole order entry for the Pandora could be even tracked in a Excel spreadsheet. This seems to be a complete mess to me.

Well, I'm using osCommerce, so I've got a database, I explained above that I CAN find that out, but it takes time.

It might be Craig is using a commercial shopping system for his queue, and depending on the limitations, it might not be easy to rip that stuff out.

Sure, someone could code a tool for osCommerce that search through all orders for Pandora-Orders, the amount of the Pandoras for that order and the status of the order and create a list from that.

I can't do that though, I was never good with PHP and MySQL, I'm just using the software as is with some add-on.

And heck, I got more than enough to do than spend a few days to find out how to create such a tool.

Don't forget that when orders were taken, nobody thought it would take that long, so it wasn't optimized to be easy to browse through :)

Well, I'm using osCommerce, so I've got a database, I explained above that I CAN find that out, but it takes time.

It might be Craig is using a commercial shopping system for his queue, and depending on the limitations, it might not be easy to rip that stuff out.

Sure, someone could code a tool for osCommerce that search through all orders for Pandora-Orders, the amount of the Pandoras for that order and the status of the order and create a list from that.

I can't do that though, I was never good with PHP and MySQL, I'm just using the software as is with some add-on.

And heck, I got more than enough to do than spend a few days to find out how to create such a tool.

Don't forget that when orders were taken, nobody thought it would take that long, so it wasn't optimized to be easy to browse through :)
Well, you gave us your answer already. You area about half way done through your orders. Craigix has the bulk and is the one everyone would like to know where he is at in the order queue. I can understand he has a lot of work but, I thought that's what Catherine was there for. She handles this stuff doesn't she? The same way individual order numbers are giving is the same way you can tell what's already been shipped out and what's left. Of course, I don't think anyone is saying they want to know who's left in the queue but, simply what number of OpenPandoras are left in the queue. I think that should be fairly easy.

Well, you gave us your answer already. You area about half way done through your orders. Craigix has the bulk and is the one everyone would like to know where he is at in the order queue. I can understand he has a lot of work but, I thought that's what Catherine was there for. She handles this stuff doesn't she? The same way individual order numbers are giving is the same way you can tell what's already been shipped out and what's left. Of course, I don't think anyone is saying they want to know who's left in the queue but, simply what number of OpenPandoras are left in the queue. I think that should be fairly easy.

Well I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I emailed openpandora at the weekend to ask about going premium and when I could expect my little beauty if I did not go down this root. I was told that I should receive said box of trick within 2 to 3 weeks; I am between 1350 and 1450 in Craigs queue.

Korky

Back