A Moderation Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthBagel

Since the other .. 3... topics were locked here is a new one. It'll probably be locked soon too.... rather than lock potentially interesting and useful topics of discussion the source of the problem should be targeted. The ideal system would be similar to that in use on Something Awful, easily the best moderated forum on the net-- it's mostly the same people getting out of hand so when flamewars break out issue a warning if necessary and a rule wasn't flagrantly broken. Apply probation/temporary suspension of posting priveleges and announce the reason. Send an email or post in a common 'Probations' thread explaining the reason if necessary or add it to the offending post (e.g. "User was put on probation/banned for this post, reason ... etc.")

If the topic becomes worthless send it to the "LOL Files" and let people post in it there, leave a link in the main forum for people looking to find it who might still find some value in it .....

The current moderation is just unacceptable; a couple people start a childish fued throwing "idiot!" and "moron!" and "faggot!" back and forth at each other and then the topic is locked and any further discussion rendered impossible, the thread vanishes never to be seen again even if it contained lots of useful information it's now only visible when searched for and gone from the public eye. And in the end the cause of the problem goes unaffected and it will just happen again and again in other threads because there is no repercussion.

So, that's my advice, take it or leave it, hopefully someone likes it. Have a great day.

I know what you mean about the moderation problems and how it doesn't really solve anything to lock a topic when people are bitching at each other, but I see either the same problem or no action taken at all in almost every forum I've ever been to. I don't really know what could be done. I guess the best course of action would be to delete the posts(or at least the parts of the posts, since sometimes there's flaming and actual conversation in the same post) that are just flaming and warn the people involved. If they don't stop, temporarily ban them a couple times. And if they don't ever stop, ban them permanently. They might not want to do that though, as it would take time to actually read thru each post. I guess they'd rather just delete it and say "to hell with it."

WarmFluffyUK should be de-modded ASAP, as per her requests. We've tried the female mod thing, it failed.

She has needlessly closed two topics, and I can't see any reason other than spite. Or period pains.

B)

The moderation on SomethingAwful works well because if you're banned you can't sign up again unless you pay. Real money. Obviously this wouldn't work at all on gp32x.

So nyeh. Also LHC ought to be less of a sexist pig. Just sayin'.

LHC said:
WarmFluffyUK should be de-modded ASAP, as per her requests. We've tried the female mod thing, it failed.

She has needlessly closed two topics, and I can't see any reason other than spite. Or period pains.

B)
I agree. The last one was just an abuse of power. A bit of a debate going on but on the whole the thread was kept quite friendly then out of the blue "Ended" without no warning or reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
LHC said:
"female mod thing, it failed."

Oh come on! <_<
If Warmy fluf did something it is also because there was a problem with this thread.

I have some idea for this: It's called the Fued2Love agent. It will change all bad words in lovely ones :)
Bringing love all around the board!

ie: "You're an idiot">"You're so intelligent"
"You're a moron">"I really like your style"
"Stupid you">"Very clever!"

How about having an experimental moderator? One different member should be picked mod each month, and the next month someone else takes his/her place (we'd keep all existing mods, this one is separate of the regular team). Hopefully they'll all have slightly different approaches to keeping order, and we'll see what works and what doesn't :)

Alex. said:
How about having an experimental moderator? One different member should be picked mod each month, and the next month someone else takes his/her place (we'd keep all existing mods, this one is separate of the regular team). Hopefully they'll all have slightly different approaches to keeping order, and we'll see what works and what doesn't :)
Alex for mod for that idea! :)

I like the idea, but a month is quite long.
As a Mod should read so much posts, a week should be enough.
This way everybody could feel the power of being a Mod.

On the other side, an Admin could play a "Ban me if you can" to test the newbie :lol:

LHC... that was completely uncalled for. There really was no need for you to say some of those things.

See, I've been hanging around these boards for nearly 4 years now. The GP32 has come and gone and the GP2X has come out while I've been here and I've not bothered to get a GP2X but have decided to stay with the board as I found it a good place to come when online. However, over the last few months these boards have slid right downhill. It's disgraceful to look at the boards now and look at how they were a year ago. It's just disgusting to see how many people have resorted to slagging matches just to try and prove a point. It really is disgusting behaviour, which y'all should really be ashamed of. Recently, I have considered leaving because it really has become such a bad state. And it's nothing to do with the mods. The mods do an excellent job moderating these boards. It's just people continue to be disrespectful of other people's opinions.

I was actually joking about that. I don't care whether our moderators are man, woman or horse. What I do care about is when legitimate threads are closed simply because they dare question the almighty leadership. Especially when she had already quit. This looked like a final act of tyranny.

I'm not going to say 'this is the internet, you can't censor it', because hando can set whatever rules he wants. In my opinion though you don't need to censor every little argument. If left to run by itself this forum won't turn out like that shitty 4chan website, it can be fairly self moderated because nobody wants to see goatse or whatever.

I don't think there should be any crackpot moderator rotation scheme, I don't think this board is mainstream enough for such an option to be viable, and I'm sure Hando doesn't want to be initiating new mods every week, really.

That said, we really could do with a few more mods, so I say we allow the Xtreme Team to elect 2, maybe 3 new moderators who they believe would be good additions, and give them a trial run, it can't hurt.

People argue; nerds get angry.

Angry nerds are funny as fuck and we should exploit them as much as possible! Don't lock the thread bleed the nerds dry of their anger and troll s'more :)

FYAD repRASENT

Nope, after reading Sam's latest flame fest I am fed up of this place! How he wasn't banned after the most offensive and plain stupid posting I have seen in a long time I will never know!

I have had my problems with a few Mods here, but that was so wrong and so worthy of a ban. But here he is, posting in this thread.

This is why I just don't want to post here anymore. It's impossible to have debates without some teenager jumping down your throat, desperate to prove he is right! These people must have no friends and no hope of getting any. So they come here and act like complete idiots! Why can't we be polite?

But I can chose to ignore those that are so bad, so I have done! Thanks God for the ignore list.

sam fisher said:
I think 2-3 more that each moderate a separate few forums would be good. As, for example, I doubt most our current moderators EVER visit the fenix section.
Oh man, just mentioning that place gives me the creeps! It's full of evil, wild stuff that desperately needs moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back