What Do People Think About Topic Regulation In Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
Making a post in off topic discussion, feels weird c_c

Most forums I've been to have rules along the lines of "stay on topic." Sometimes they're not really enforced, other times they're heavily so. Sometimes when it is deemed that a topic has outlived its purpose it gets locked. I can see how this makes sense if you view forums as a database of information to find answers to questions on.

The thing is, I don't go to forums to ask or answer questions, I go to partake in interesting discussions. In fact, I can barely stand to go to the forums on dcemu.co.uk or zodttd.com (no offense to those there) because almost all of the topics are people asking for help, usually without reading all the other threads. There's no real discussion or community, just people looking for their own individual answers so they can be off again. I'm vaguely afraid that gp32x might one day become like this, but that's another topic altogether.

For the time being at least, a lot of good discussion springs up here.. and that's probably why I come here more than any other forum. But good discussion is dynamic and drifts and branches. It always irritates me when people are talking about something interesting but the thread gets closed because it got "off topic." I don't personally understand what the preoccupation is with keeping things so on topic. Sure, if you want to talk about something else you can start another topic, except that completely breaks the fluidity and will most likely kill the conversation.

A lot of people like for things to stay on topic, but I wonder if they feel this way because they think it benefits the forum in a pragmatic fashion (which I can see arguments for, but they're not especially direct), or if it's more because that's just the established convention. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like variance in threads. It makes me come back to the forums 500 times a day instead of just 300 if it was On-topic only. It's more interesting! :p

But sometimes threads do get waaaaaay off-topic.

Staying on topic is not as important as staying relevant. Wandering away from the original topic and onto another that is somehow related (or at least constructive) is perfectly fine. When I close threads it is because they have no conceivable value other than the self-amusement of the posters. Once people are only posting because they like the clicky sound their keyboard makes, the thread has outlived its usefulness. The tone of the thread is also very important. Threads that aren't constructive and are decidedly negative are especially volatile and do not need to remain open.

I stand by every thread I close as being totally appropriate and, if not always necessary, then at least beneficial. I went back and looked at all the threads I've closed in the last 2 weeks, and I don't see a single one that would have been beneficial to anybody to have left open. See for yourself:
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47101 Duplicate of an already locked thread
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47129 Yet another "Will it run Windows?" thread. Would have burst into flames if not closed.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47156 Duplicate of a News thread.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47164 We need another keypad layout thread like we need Chad78 to come back.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47164 Nine page bitch-a-thon.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47191 A simple (if naive) question that was easily answered and closed before it turned ugly.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47216 Duplicate thread. Locked at OP's request.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42381 Nearly 1 year old thread gravedug for no good reason.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47159 Original question long ago answered, discussion had turned to "best way to burn off fingerprints"
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47206 Had degraded into a discussion of who did/didn't like cellphones with cameras and the macbook hinge.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47266 Baseline trolling with 4chan humor.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47291 Question definitively answered, would have just turned into another bitchfest.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47292 Accusatory and non-constructive thread with no possible good outcome.

This is not a Wiki. Discussion needs to flow freely, and the forum would benefit more if you would move the civil "degraded" topics to Off Topic instead of locking them.

'Chip' said:
[*]www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47266 Baseline trolling with 4chan humor.
1. i wasn't trolling at all 2. i hate 4chan
that said, i created the thread fully expecting it to be locked. thats half the reason i made it

'PoisonedV' said:
that said, i created the thread fully expecting it to be locked. thats half the reason i made it

If you intentionally post a topic where you know it doesn't belong just to wind up others, then thats another reason why you should be perma-banned, IMO. May I remind you that your warning log is already at 100%, mostly due to personal attacks and insults.

I'm not criticising anyone here, but since chip took on moderator duties, the 'policing' of threads has certainly been felt in a more heavy fisted fashion. Thread closures are a much bigger possibility now than they used to be.

However, i was just reading a thread in the General Pandora Section this morning and some guy, i think called 'bazt' used over a dozen pointless heavy expletives in just 2 consecutive posts and that went by without any reprimand from chip, who was active in the discussion at the time.

So maybe what we need to see is a little more consistency and common sense from our mods, who do a great job 99% of the time!

'Squidge' said:
'PoisonedV' said:

If you intentionally post a topic where you know it doesn't belong just to wind up others, then thats another reason why you should be perma-banned, IMO. May I remind you that your warning log is already at 100%, mostly due to personal attacks and insults.

The thread wasn't malicious, and while I am malicious frequently, the percentage of times it's geared towards a person rather than an idea, a device, or something is much lower than others

www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42381 Nearly 1 year old thread gravedug for no good reason.

I find it funny that people are bitch slapped for not using the search function and creating duplicate threads, yet when they do, they are bitch slapped too. There is just no pleasing some poeple.

'u9i' said:
I find it funny that people are bitch slapped for not using the search function and creating duplicate threads, yet when they do, they are bitch slapped too. There is just no pleasing some poeple.
He didn't search for the thread because he had a relevant question or something to add, SONY just posts random crap sometimes to amuse himself. It was completely unnecessary.

'Chip' said:
'u9i' said:
He didn't search for the thread because he had a relevant question or something to add, SONY just posts random crap sometimes to amuse himself. It was completely unnecessary.

I was disappointed chip when you moved my thread: Will this UMID Kill Pandora. Apparently some name calling took place - but I think it was fair in the circumstances. My choice to join your forums was to have a debate with potential buyers of Pandora on the other options, which I think may be better suited to your readers. You moved my topic away from the Pandora area - thus denying them the choice to see the debate on alternatives.

'Chip' said:
Staying on topic is not as important as staying relevant. Wandering away from the original topic and onto another that is somehow related (or at least constructive) is perfectly fine. When I close threads it is because they have no conceivable value other than the self-amusement of the posters. Once people are only posting because they like the clicky sound their keyboard makes, the thread has outlived its usefulness. The tone of the thread is also very important. Threads that aren't constructive and are decidedly negative are especially volatile and do not need to remain open.

I stand by every thread I close as being totally appropriate and, if not always necessary, then at least beneficial. I went back and looked at all the threads I've closed in the last 2 weeks, and I don't see a single one that would have been beneficial to anybody to have left open. See for yourself:
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47101 Duplicate of an already locked thread
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47129 Yet another "Will it run Windows?" thread. Would have burst into flames if not closed.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47156 Duplicate of a News thread.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47164 We need another keypad layout thread like we need Chad78 to come back.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47164 Nine page bitch-a-thon.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47191 A simple (if naive) question that was easily answered and closed before it turned ugly.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47216 Duplicate thread. Locked at OP's request.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42381 Nearly 1 year old thread gravedug for no good reason.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47159 Original question long ago answered, discussion had turned to "best way to burn off fingerprints"
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47206 Had degraded into a discussion of who did/didn't like cellphones with cameras and the macbook hinge.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47266 Baseline trolling with 4chan humor.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47291 Question definitively answered, would have just turned into another bitchfest.
  • www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47292 Accusatory and non-constructive thread with no possible good outcome.

I was thinking before hand about what you have actually locked and I don't have objections really - granted, what's self-amusement only or ill intent to you may not be genuinely so but you're the moderator and it's your call to make.

What the locks don't show, however, is when you warn for a thread to get back on topic or else you will lock it. That I think does have an effect on conversation flow.

The one thing that has always frustrated me on other forums is when one person or a few people end up getting a thread locked for being out of line. All of the participants in the thread shouldn't be punished to quell one person who may be thrilled with the accomplishment.

In my opinion, the forums are way too heavily modded.

I like PoisonedV. Please do not permaban him. Seriously, he plays a role in this community.

'Junebug7556' said:
My choice to join your forums was to have a debate with potential buyers of Pandora on the other options, which I think may be better suited to your readers. You moved my topic away from the Pandora area - thus denying them the choice to see the debate on alternatives.
Honestly, I think that sort of post is as appropriate on this board as teaching Creationism is in schools. And your argument is roughly similar. *shudder*

I dont care too much when a discussion is on going and 2 or more posters decide to use it for a 2 way argument over something trivial.
Ive never had an issue with any of the mod closing threads.

Heres an idea that just came to me, users get a certain number of posts per day. New members get fewer posts than the more veteran users. Basically the idea would be if your new and you only have certain number of posts then your more likely to use those posts for something worth saying. Of course mods could allow for exceptions.

'Junebug7556' said:
'Chip' said:
'u9i' said:

I was disappointed chip when you moved my thread: Will this UMID Kill Pandora. Apparently some name calling took place - but I think it was fair in the circumstances. My choice to join your forums was to have a debate with potential buyers of Pandora on the other options, which I think may be better suited to your readers. You moved my topic away from the Pandora area - thus denying them the choice to see the debate on alternatives.

Oh please. This isn't a matter of censorship, your topic was just an excercise in pointlessness. Why did you sign up just to create the thread? The forum isn't about debating whats better, it's about discussing the handheld. You don't neeed to 'open anyones eyes' and if that was your purpose for joining you shouldn't have. Everyone already knows of our x86 options.

I've got it.

You have to fill out a quiz, if you pass that, you get to enter.

For example.

Will the Pandora run Counter Strike/Half life
Yay/Nay

Will the Pandora run N64 games
Yes/No/Maybe

Will the Pandora run PS3 games
Yes/No/Maybe.

And so on. Sounds stupid, but could stop lots of questions, forcing the new kids on the block to do some research.

'pelrun' said:
'Junebug7556' said:
My choice to join your forums was to have a debate with potential buyers of Pandora on the other options, which I think may be better suited to your readers. You moved my topic away from the Pandora area - thus denying them the choice to see the debate on alternatives.
Honestly, I think that sort of post is as appropriate on this board as teaching Creationism is in schools. And your argument is roughly similar. *shudder*

Thats interesting, as on my moved topic (now in other consols/other stff, I think, thanks chip) I made reference to the 'evolution' of computer platforms with reference to the UMID M1, and how Pandora can be seen as stagnated - in other words the Darwinism of Technology. Could Pandora be Neanderthal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back