A date with the Pyra

It's only the PCBs, the lucky bastards won't get anything before the cases are finished :)

Speaking as a (potential (last in line)) lucky bastard and cases...  You mentioned the potential for color choices.  I'm assuming you'll ask for input at some point.  I had this semi-crazy idea for a nubs, shoulders & stylus (non-structural) material or maybe even case option...

http://www.chromacolors.com/news.html

Anyway - glad to hear things are progressing well.  Thank you!

I did not follow the link above - but watch out click happy folks.  It looks suspicious.  youtu.be???

Wrath of Khan - did you get that link right?

Yes, it's a famous and I think very funny, monty python scene. Youtube did some updates recently with the copying and pasting of their url's. In particular: 'copy url at current playtime'.

ED on Twitter:

Earlier than planned: All parts and bare PCBs have arrived, so the prototype PCBs will be produced next week.

Is this the first time, something was "earlier then planned" in the entire Pandora/Pyra history? :D  

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking as a (potential (last in line)) lucky bastard and cases...  You mentioned the potential for color choices.  I'm assuming you'll ask for input at some point.  I had this semi-crazy idea for a nubs, shoulders & stylus (non-structural) material or maybe even case option...

Those are usually very expensive materials and that kind of plastics or paints, when of good quality, need a certain time of daylight or artificial light to recharge properly for a posterior decent period of use. Plus most of the components you mentioned are concealed most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha completely forgot the jaffa cake, you can say what you want about craigix but his videos were a lot of fun :)

As my wise old Grandma (almost) used to say : 'It's all fun and games until someone falls off a roof!' ;)

There is an alternative that I use for resin props. It's a little cheaper but honestly not all that much. United Nuclear is where we usually get our stuff from. Glows well even without us extending it like how we had to before using design tricks [basically for orbs and the like, we add different kinds of film for more light reflection across a single surface. think of a diffuse for a rgb led but on the inside instead of the outside.] Technoglow is also another company my group is looking into. Simply because micron choices. Though a really interesting color combination showed up in the mockup thread that would be really interesting to use. A wine red shell that has a faint red glow to it at night. enough to see, but not heavy to fight against the rgb led on the shell for dominance. Obviously, something like that wouldn't work all too hot for say the nubs and shoulder buttons [we would simply mix at a slightly higher ratio]. but all and all, a more lowkey approach is simply all I am suggesting here. Chroma, imo, doesn't really seem all too workable in terms of getting samples and the examples they have are kinda.. lacking. The key fear is simply paying a premium for sub-par pigments.

I saw the files for the case and even though it'll take a while for tweaks, I'm fine with waiting until after release to produce molds for alternate cases. That's right, I'm totally not against risking 600$ [despite studying up the insides from vids] just to make a GBC Atomic Purple case for kicks. 

I saw the files for the case and even though it'll take a while for tweaks, I'm fine with waiting until after release to produce molds for alternate cases. That's right, I'm totally not against risking 600$ [despite studying up the insides from vids] just to make a GBC Atomic Purple case for kicks. 

I'm pretty sure eventually some shells will be made available, because... accidents happen or just... because.

Back