A date with the Pyra

Android mostly needs the drivers, so we're back to the kernel stuff. An Android developer can't do much if the kernel doesn't support the hardware first.

BTW, there's an Android version for the OMAP5. AFAIK it's based on Android 4, but maybe with the upcoming new CPUs (that are very similar to the OMAP5), there will be an updated version which could be used as basis.

@ ED : Please give some serious thought on providing a prototype to someone who is willing to create a fully functional version of Android for Pyra. It's appreciated that having the option of Android will not appeal to everyone here, however the appeal to existing Android users and reviewers should not be underestimated IMHO.

A great way to get a version of Android for Pyra would be to use the AOSP rom, pre root it & include the Exposed framework with a dedicated module for Pyra, this module would include things like rotation control, default selection of hardware keyboard etc.

I'm in no way suggesting that Android should be the main focus for the Pyra but if there are 10 dev units then sending 1 to an Android developer would be highly worthwhile IMHO.

Goldelico has a solution for everything and everyone  :)

We have Replicant running on the GTA04 as an alternate OS: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-replicant/

And Lukas is working to switch to the latest 4.3 kernel that already supports GTA04, OpenPanodra and Pyra (prototypes). So it might only need minor tweaks (screen resolution, input devices, some widgets) to get it running on the Pyra.

See: https://twitter.com/goldelico/status/590634229471584260

https://twitter.com/goldelico/status/615514998568284160

Last edited by a moderator:
Relicant would be great, as an really open- source Android! However the question is, whether features like a 3D acceleration etc. will be available. Also who will be able to maintain it? The android port of the pandora hasn't got much love and support from the community

Relicant would be great, as an really open- source Android! However the question is, whether features like a 3D acceleration etc. will be available. Also who will be able to maintain it? The android port of the pandora hasn't got much love and support from the community

All the etc. are available.  Only 3D acceleration isn't. But that is not a Replicant only issue, we need make the SGX drivers working together with the Pyra kernel. Then it is possible to provide an extra package (outside of Replicant).

Maintainance: by Goldelico. It is a continuous project.

Well, it needs some funding (e.g. donations). Please see at the end of http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-replicant/

CommanderB said:
All the etc. are available.  Only 3D acceleration isn't. But that is not a Replicant only issue, we need make the SGX drivers working together with the Pyra kernel. Then it is possible to provide an extra package (outside of Replicant).
Maintainance: by Goldelico. It is a continuous project.

Well, it needs some funding (e.g. donations). Please see at the end of http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-replicant/
Sounds great! Is it possible to set up a donation form here in the forum to support the Replicant on Pyra Project?

Maybe it is a bit too early for that, since the Pyra does not even exist yet

I don't think anyone will buy because it runs Android.

For me, I'd avoid it because it's an android device (I would like to run droid on it, but not primary).

There are thousands of android devices out which are half the cost.

I doubt someone will pay 600+EUR for a droid machine (when nvidia shield does this also).

Just my thoughts, but the market is flooded with droid crap; list as dual systems maybe but as a primary OS - I'd be out :(

Linux! :D

I 100% agree that Android should be the 'minor partner' when it comes to the Pyra OS choice, hence the suggestion that out of 10 dev units it would make sense to provide 1 for Android development and 9 for Linux.

However your argument about cost could equally be applied to any aspect of the Pyra, i.e. it will be a niche device because of the high cost & small team.

It seems reasonable to me that there might be a thousand Android users (out of the global user base of more than 1 Billion) who would sufficiently value the inclusion of a hardware keyboard & gaming controls to buy a Pyra. However having the option of dual booting may well be enough to sway a few thousand more as well as providing the Pyra with another thing that clearly differentiates it from devices such as the Nvidia portable etc. (i.e. it's designed to run multiple OS's)

@ hns : I like the sound of Replicant as an option, however I'm guessing that this version of Android will not include the Google Apps (Play Store, Photos, Maps, Google Office etc.) that most Android users would expect to see. How easy would it be for a user to install the Google Apps on a system running Replicant?

I can't imagine any reason you wouldn't be able to install the Google play store and all subsequent apps, if that's what you really wanted.  It's just an APK, pretty trivial to install on any device already.  Unless the Replicant version of Android is so different from stock Android that it can't actually run most stuff at all, but that'd lead to more problems and something I would suggest avoiding.

Of course, that kind of defeats the purpose of Replicant, but the average user isn't likely to care about the purpose, so long as they can use it the way they want to.  Replicant won't give instructions on installing the play store but there's no reason we couldn't.

Perhaps we should wait till pyra 2.0 to officially support android.  Like others have said, people will compare the specs to current gen Android devices and ignore it.  Hopefully with 2.0 we can have AMD support or at least be production ready enough to have time to release something comparable to top tier Android devices.

There want be "Pyra 2.0" just CPU Upgrade Modules..

Android wouldnt be bad, unless its isnt corupting the right sd slot like the Android on Pandora..

To have World of Goo and GTA3 cant be bad..

But first whe should fokus on the standart OS, mybe there is a way to run android apps in Debian..

Android dual boot - not interested.

Android as an ARM VM under a Debian host - VERY interested.

Let users treat and use Android as 'just another emulator' to be accessed within the always-on Debian host OS.

I am curious: for 90% + of perspective Pyra users, is there any advantage of running the default OS over running Android? Sure there will be a good number of people that have serious reasons, but I am going out on a limb and guessing that 90% of users just boot up the OS and fire up games, emulators, applications - if that is the case, surely Android can do that, and also opens up a huge catalogue of software (and on top of that, any Pandora specific software in the repo could presumably be ported to Android relatively easily).

I don't expect the notion of what I have written above to do anything but enrage most people posting in this thread  :D :wub: :ph34r:  and it isn't the case that I particularly want to run Android, but at the same point, I am not sure I really understand why Android would be that undesirable (to the 90%).

I'm not enraged by the suggestion of default boot to Android but the idea does force a lurker like me to bother to post.  I came to the pandora from the n900 community a few years ago and I am a supporter only because its a fairly open device in terms of software, design, and management/community.  I've bought a pyra voucher for the same reasons.  The gaming is nice but the openness of the device is what attracts me and makes me willing to pay a premium.

I agree with you that most consumers don't care about the OS and many retro gamers are perfectly happy with android.  The safer approach for pyra is to stick with what worked for pandora and what this community is built around.  Later a dual linux / android approach should be developed if possible in order to expand the capabilities and attractiveness of the pyra.

Im more for the Pandora solution: A Android PND for dose who wants to play theyre favoret angry birds, and who dostnt want anything to do whit Google, dosnt have to use the Android..

There are lots of powerfull android devices out there, but a real Linux Poket PC, like the Pandora and Pyra is pretty rare..

A Pyra 2.0 is going to happen in the future aside of the CPU updates (if Pyra is a success, is the people is interested, bla, bla, bla...). For example, the screen have no a full HD resolution and in a near future the 2k, 3k and 4k are going to be normal stuff so I hope I can, at least, update the screen.

I am curious: for 90% + of perspective Pyra users, is there any advantage of running the default OS over running Android? Sure there will be a good number of people that have serious reasons, but I am going out on a limb and guessing that 90% of users just boot up the OS and fire up games, emulators, applications - if that is the case, surely Android can do that, and also opens up a huge catalogue of software (and on top of that, any Pandora specific software in the repo could presumably be ported to Android relatively easily).

I don't expect the notion of what I have written above to do anything but enrage most people posting in this thread  :D :wub: :ph34r:  and it isn't the case that I particularly want to run Android, but at the same point, I am not sure I really understand why Android would be that undesirable (to the 90%).

There are applications and things you can do in Linux on the Pandora that to my knowledge have never been properly ported to Android.

In no particular order and by far not a complete list...

Filezilla

Command line SSH and SSHFS

Audacious

Audacity

Any true non-mobile browser (i.e. full desktop version)

Libre Office

MySQL

PostgreSQL

Gimp

Vulture's Eye Nethack

GemRB

Xcom

The list could go on and on...

So, Android as a root/default OS is VERY limiting.  The sad part is, many people would buy the device with a root Android OS and never understand how limiting it actually is.

Back