A date with the Pyra

I would be happy whit a Port of Drastic, i mean, whit this much power, and this big screen, this should work much better than on CC Pandora

But a GBA and GB GBC Emu for the first few months would also be nice to have..

I'm not sure what major contribution Exophase would provide though, 

So he can test out his 3DS emulator.  :eek:
The Pyra is going to be many things, but it doesn't even have two screens, let alone one with a 3D grid thing. How do you expect this to even work?  Think man!
We don't even have a 3D Depth slider... it's impossible! And we have no cameras... the 3DS has 3!!!111

The Pyra is going to be many things, but it doesn't even have two screens, let alone one with a 3D grid thing. How do you expect this to even work?  Think man!
We don't even have a 3D Depth slider... it's impossible! And we have no cameras... the 3DS has 3!!!111
Wouldn't it just function in a similar way to the DS emulator? The Pandora doesn't have 2 screens either, but that has work arounds, and functions rather well right? And considering the 3DS games can be played without 3D at all, I really don't see an issue unless the horsepower isn't there to run it to begin with, but otherwise I really don't see any issues as far as the 3D goes(as it isn't required for any game to be played).

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
DraStic and other emulators is a piece of software. It should run out-of-the-box on the Pyra when it's compiled for it. It uses NEON (which the Pyra has), but no 3D processor.

The reason I want to send ptitsebt a Pyra prototype is because most of his ports use the 3D processor, so both glshim and the SGX driver get some serious testing here.

I might have some developer discounts (or free units) for known devs like Exophase later when the mass production is up and running (depends on the capital we have), but right now, OS and drivers are most important.

Wouldn't it just function in a similar way to the DS emulator? The Pandora doesn't have 2 screens either, but that has work arounds, and functions rather well right? And considering the 3DS games can be played without 3D at all, I really don't see an issue unless the horsepower isn't there to run it to begin with, but otherwise I really don't see any issues as far as the 3D goes(as it isn't required for any game to be played).

Chris
Please... Don't make me excited for nothing... :*(

Chris

Whooooosssshhhhhhhh!

Nice team you've got there :) I've got a bit of a question though... Will the driver and OS development be sensitive to those of us that want to run a few different operating systems? I mean, I'm a fan of Debian Jessie and probably whatever improvements, bells and whistles you guys are cooking up :) but I'd love to be able to hop distros a bit and know that with a "little" tweaking/compiling/patching, I'll still have support for my keymap, some kind of graphics acceleration, the ability to control my pretty blinky lights, etc. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here... but it doesn't hurt to keep that thought on the table, eh?

Graphics acceleration might be the biggest issue (because of the closed 3D driver), everything else should work on other distributions as well (you might need to recompile the sourcecode of some drivers or programs, but that shouldn't be anything major).

The way I'm looking at the SGX driver it should work with another OS as long as you're running the main Pyra kernel and copy some libraries. If you're using softfloat, you'll also need glshim to bridge the ABI.

As far as people asking about GBA emulation, I'm friends with the mgba developer. I'll see about helping them get an official Pyra release ready by launch.

Well, GBA = Yoshis Island, and Kirby, and Mario World, and Wario Ware, so all these cool games it needs to survive the first few months beyond the Pyra Release..

Also you can run a GB Emu inside the GBA Emu to play tetris..

The way I'm looking at the SGX driver it should work with another OS as long as you're running the main Pyra kernel and copy some libraries. If you're using softfloat, you'll also need glshim to bridge the ABI.

This is good news for mainstream Slackware ARM which is soft float for now.

Graphics acceleration might be the biggest issue (because of the closed 3D driver), everything else should work on other distributions as well (you might need to recompile the sourcecode of some drivers or programs, but that shouldn't be anything major).

Issue like "it will not happen"? Cause It would be hard to sell such a device that misses a big feature chunk like propper 3D acceleration.

Issue like "it will not happen"? Cause It would be hard to sell such a device that misses a big feature chunk like propper 3D acceleration.
Issue like in the worst case it might limit us to using an older kernel, in the same way it's an issue with almost all Android devices.

Issue like in the worst case it might limit us to using an older kernel, in the same way it's an issue with almost all Android devices.
     I believe ED was referring to my question about the portability of the 3D acceleration and sensor support to distros other than the stock distro for the Pyra, which I'm sure will be plenty up-to-date for most any user. That aside, it's not as if a lack of 3D graphics acceleration in certain distros will kill the appeal of the device... I'd rather have one image for my gaming and another for productivity, and I'm not alone in that. I'm sure quite a few people here are familiar with the concept of "sandboxing", or having a specific environment for different tasks. It keeps things tidy, limits the effects of those "awwww... crap" moments when you realize you closed your chroot before running a few things, etc. It sounds like development is well underway for the base OS, and anything besides that will be gravy IMHO. That said... I like everything in my alternative OSes to be able to function with a little work, linking, playing around with config files, etc. It would be sweet to have a Slackware or Arch image with 3D working OOTB, and to have the required semi-portable components for hardware functionality in a state where they don't have any terribly distro-specific dependencies. With a base of Debian Jessie, I don't see much of an issue... but I haven't played with Jessie enough to know if Debian has been up to any funky business lately.

What Jumpman said.  Also, apparently, Nintendo made the 2DS to play 3DS games without 3D. I'm thinking... ;)

Back