A date with the Pyra

When I was looking through this thread yesterday I was wondering how sarcastic responses to other sarcastic responses seem to others when read as text or delivered deadpan.  I do this often and saw the same sort of responses I sometimes get.  The problem is now I can't tell if they thought WizardStan was serious.  I thought his cues were not so subtle...

Why do you all have to ruin the fun?

When I was looking through this thread yesterday I was wondering how sarcastic responses to other sarcastic responses seem to others when read as text or delivered deadpan.  I do this often and saw the same sort of responses I sometimes get.  The problem is now I can't tell if they thought WizardStan was serious.  I thought his cues were not so subtle...

It's easy to claim you were being sarcastic after the fact.

There's only room for one Sarcasm Dispenser here... ;)

-Neelix
Damn straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ ED : Please give some serious thought on providing a prototype to someone who is willing to create a fully functional version of Android for Pyra. It's appreciated that having the option of Android will not appeal to everyone here, however the appeal to existing Android users and reviewers should not be underestimated IMHO.

A great way to get a version of Android for Pyra would be to use the AOSP rom, pre root it & include the Exposed framework with a dedicated module for Pyra, this module would include things like rotation control, default selection of hardware keyboard etc.

I'm in no way suggesting that Android should be the main focus for the Pyra but if there are 10 dev units then sending 1 to an Android developer would be highly worthwhile IMHO.

@ ED : Please give some serious thought on providing a prototype to someone who is willing to create a fully functional version of Android for Pyra. It's appreciated that having the option of Android will not appeal to everyone here, however the appeal to existing Android users and reviewers should not be underestimated IMHO.

A great way to get a version of Android for Pyra would be to use the AOSP rom, pre root it & include the Exposed framework with a dedicated module for Pyra, this module would include things like rotation control, default selection of hardware keyboard etc.

I'm in no way suggesting that Android should be the main focus for the Pyra but if there are 10 dev units then sending 1 to an Android developer would be highly worthwhile IMHO.

IMO the focus should be on the main OS for the Pyra and the kernel development (which in turn should theoretically benefit a potential Android port). Come Day 0 of the Pyra launch, isn't it better to have one solid polished main (and default!) OS (or as polished as it can be in the next months), rather than several ones which are not as polished?

IMO the focus should be on the main OS for the Pyra and the kernel development (which in turn should theoretically benefit a potential Android port). Come Day 0 of the Pyra launch, isn't it better to have one solid polished main (and default!) OS (or as polished as it can be in the next months), rather than several ones which are not as polished?
Well first of all, i've been following the project for quite a while, as a matter of fact been following the pandora since almost the beginning and all the ''adventure'' regarding it. That said, i finally decided to sign up instead of being just another silent follower :ph34r: .

My 2 cents: by seeing that history was learned and that the Pyra project was masterfully conceived on top of the ashes of the old pandora, it makes no sense at all to deviate from a path already well established and based on objectives that are being achieved and adapted when needed. So like stated previously by txus, wasting time and resources on something that isn't prioritary isn't productive in any point of view. By having such an active and knowledgeable community and experts things will come and develop on their own when a solid platform is grounded. Anyway keep up the good work and business practice, eager to have a pyra in my hands.

Cheers

Personally, I'm not interested in booting a Pyra to Android as a primary OS.

Now, having Android as a sandboxed VM client OS (think VirtualBox only with Android as a client and on ARM) with 3D riding on the Debian host OS, THAT has my interest.  However, there isn't much that can be done to even consider that before the primary Debian OS, nub drivers, sensor inputs, 3D drivers and more are communicating with the host OS.

That is a dream - one that is definitely not going to be ready on day 1.  More likely 6-18 months from release if at all.  I can dream though...

Agreed. While Android may be good for the Pyra's popularity, you could even have more preorders than what you can handle.

Let's have a full-fledged 3D gaming and everyday-computing platform before anything else. And I might include the release as well.

While it's tempting to want android out of the box on release, i think there are some good reasons to not go that route. One is that android kids would be comparing it constantly to the latest and next-gen phones and declaring the Pyra 'crap' on specs, whereas someone evaluating it as a portable linux computer might find it provides a very nice set of  features, some unique.

It could help to sell more Pyras if Android runs on it for sure. However, it would be also important then to tell these people that the Pyra is not an Android device. Could be difficult.

Personally, I think the Pyra is going to fill a much-needed niche for devices similar to, say, the Nokia N900, and I expect it to gain/have a very similar community. Maybe not quite as specific a niche, but still an area that the majority of smartphone-totin' or Shield-playin' peoples will not have a need to fill. The Pyra is truly unique and while I'd like to see it really take off, I think that setting it up to be competition for the dedicated Android gaming devices out there is something that wouldn't help the device or community in the long run. Of course I could be wrong... I personally know of a handful of people who are considering the Pyra as a straight-up replacement for their N900s and various moddable HTC devices. I guess we'll see...

At least not /direct/ competition... I personally think the Pyra will blow the Shield out of the water.

Regarding sarcasm: the trick is to engineer one's posts to exploit the ambiguity, to be reasonable both when construed as sincere and when construed as sarcastic. I have a modest example here.

Regarding Android: with the increasing realization that it is here to stay, I have searched around for running Android's Dalvik VM, and other things, within a CHROOT or some such -- unfortunately, I cannot find anything as all the results seem to refer to running a real OS -- GNU/Linux -- within Android, rather than the other way around. I am mystified as to why such a thing does not seem to exist already, given that there is an x86 version of Android available (not a problem here). I am aware of the use of a different libc for Android and GNU/Linux, but presumably that could be worked around (with a statically compiled Dalvik?). Given that Android uses some version of the Linux kernel, one would expect that a WINE-like program would be relatively easy to produce. So far, I have explained the apparent absence of such a program thus: Android simply must lack any applications of significant interest, as otherwise, surely, someone would have significantly tried. As someone who has never really used an Android device, this explanation suits me well.

My thinking on Android is that it's actually better that it isn't available day one.  ED won't be flooded with pre-orders from people who want it just for Android, and six or 12 months down the road he can get a market boost when "that portable Linux gaming system" can now boast running Android, as well.

If Android can exist as a VM under a Debian host, then from a user perspective, Android and it's entire software base simply becomes another emulator.  (Regardless of whether or not it actually runs as a VM directly accessing the CPU.)

Debian core - all other used OS's get called/launched/used from within it.

I don't think anyone will buy because it runs Android.

For me, I'd avoid it because it's an android device (I would like to run droid on it, but not primary).

There are thousands of android devices out which are half the cost.

I doubt someone will pay 600+EUR for a droid machine (when nvidia shield does this also).

Just my thoughts, but the market is flooded with droid crap; list as dual systems maybe but as a primary OS - I'd be out :(

Linux! :D

Back