3D MMO on Pandora.

anyone get a chance to play MYTHOS? before it got shut down and sold? something like that would be fun.

Mythos was great fun... would have been even better on the pandora.

Too bad we can't get them to port their new game on to the pandora...

I'm now thinking more of a D2 style game than WoW. The controls really wouldn't be as viable, and graphics would look poor given the power. When you look at a game like D2 however, the angle makes the game look better than it really is.

It'll be rendered real time in 3D, unlike D2, which will make it more like Mythos, yes. D2 is actually modelled in 3D, then rendered to 2D before it's used in the engine. It'll have mechanics from both D2 and WoW (for example, D2 lacks soul bound items, mail box, etc...).

I just need to brush up my modelling skills, now, as that will be the main problem (and affording a Pandora... /sigh).

Hiho i like the initiative, however to not sound like a troll im going to give some harsh feedback and explain why.

i study at GAME on gotland university(sweden) which is appearantly on of the biggest gamedev schools in europe(arr we got an identical copy of the mocap studio used to make the matrix movies :D )

anyway, just to remind you that making a MMO is hard, usually when we mention it our teachers just giggles and walks away, anyhow, i would suggest you consider creating a bigger group because, i cant frankly see how you will be able on your own to push out a halfly decent mmo that doesnt run out of content in 10 hours, sure go ahead i say and do your best, every game is a game right?.

and to go offtopic, i am currently considering and planning on assembling a group here at my school to make a WC3 styled RTS for the pandora(yes i know, rts on touchscreen sounds awsome), this project is for the next years gotland game awards, where biggun companies from europe come and evaluate our games, Grin, Starbreeze is just some of the big games, anyway, il make a new topic for this soon.

and back to topic, good luck with your mmo, ripping off ideas from already existing games is good since they work.

Samurai_Crow said:
Gary13579 said:
I just need to brush up my modelling skills, now, as that will be the main problem (and affording a Pandora... /sigh).

CraigX is talking about a cheaper desktop version of the Pandora called the Pandora Cube. See this poll on GP32x for more information.
For that price though, I may as well just buy a BeagleBoard and throw the Pandora angstrom distro on it. Which I may end up doing...

pbostrm said:
Hiho i like the initiative, however to not sound like a troll im going to give some harsh feedback and explain why.

i study at GAME on gotland university(sweden) which is appearantly on of the biggest gamedev schools in europe(arr we got an identical copy of the mocap studio used to make the matrix movies :D )

anyway, just to remind you that making a MMO is hard, usually when we mention it our teachers just giggles and walks away, anyhow, i would suggest you consider creating a bigger group because, i cant frankly see how you will be able on your own to push out a halfly decent mmo that doesnt run out of content in 10 hours, sure go ahead i say and do your best, every game is a game right?.

and to go offtopic, i am currently considering and planning on assembling a group here at my school to make a WC3 styled RTS for the pandora(yes i know, rts on touchscreen sounds awsome), this project is for the next years gotland game awards, where biggun companies from europe come and evaluate our games, Grin, Starbreeze is just some of the big games, anyway, il make a new topic for this soon.

and back to topic, good luck with your mmo, ripping off ideas from already existing games is good since they work.

I appreciate this post, and its not trolling. I understand the amount of effort and work goes into an MMO.

Have you ever played D2? The game is very fun and addicting, yet in total it has maybe 3 hours from start of act 1 to end of act 5. Yet thousands still play it. That is what this will attempt, not on massive content, but a variety so you don't get bored.

I am not trying to "rip off" other games, I may have came off that way though. D2 is a very fun, but nearly abandonned game. It hasn't been updated in forever. Will finish this post klater, on the train lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
nah i didnt mean ripping off as a bad thing, its awsome, it saves you time on testing stuff, since you know it worked for them, maybe do some little adjustments.

also why d2 was awsome is because they added the challenge of grind, people play it because when u have beat the storyline its still awsome to grind 200 hours for that enigma chest or whatever it was. because obviously it increased your epeen by a multiplier of 2

Back on the train, typing this on an HTC Dream, excuse any bad typing lol. Basically, I want a lot of mechanics from D2 because I kinda want it to be a continuation. Blizzard is finally releasing a patch for D2, after what, 6 years? And its not even a content patch, its mostly fixing bugs.

I'm not copying them to be sucessful, I'm doing it because its fun.

As far as it just being the grind, its more than that. After you finish gearing out one character, you want to make another to try it out. Then you need all new gear, etc.

Gary13579 said:
It would be VERY WoW style, but much more casual. It wouldn't require the amount of playtime that WoW does.

Um.. WoW is already the most casual MMORPG I know of. It's pretty much like an instant win button. If you're going to work on something like that, why not just make a normal co-op RPG?

Most MMOs just use a modular mission set up anyway though dont they?

10 go to A
20 Defeat enemy B (variable #)
30 Get item C
40 Bring to npc D
50 goto 10

Thats like half the missions of every MMORPG that has ever existed. it would take some work but you can still create more than a few hours of missions with this alone assuming you dont just get bored out of your skull creating them.

Alpha2 said:
Most MMOs just use a modular mission set up anyway though dont they?

10 go to A
20 Defeat enemy B (variable #)
30 Get item C
40 Bring to npc D
50 goto 10

Thats like half the missions of every MMORPG that has ever existed. it would take some work but you can still create more than a few hours of missions with this alone assuming you dont just get bored out of your skull creating them.

That's like half the missions to every GAME that has ever existed. Or movie. Or book.

bustaballs said:
Gary13579 said:
It would be VERY WoW style, but much more casual. It wouldn't require the amount of playtime that WoW does.

Um.. WoW is already the most casual MMORPG I know of. It's pretty much like an instant win button. If you're going to work on something like that, why not just make a normal co-op RPG?

It is now a days, much more than in the past. But if you still wish to be on top, it requires MASSIVE effort. I waited about 5 months after WotLK launch to hit 80. I started getting honor PvP gear. That alone is at least 200 hours that I'm putting into the game. And that's before I even start arena. After that, there's new PvP honor gear I can get.

The amount of time/effort you need to put into PvP is stupid.

This sounds like a good idea. I didn't want to post here because I didn't see the thread going anywhere. It will be hard to do this not just because the normal work but making it play on all the platforms you mentioned, Linux/Windows/Mac/Pandora/PSP/iPhone/DS. I think you should focus on handhelds and then have a browser plug-in to play it on desktops. Your game would look good on handhelds and people couldn't really complain about how it looked on desktops because its a game you play though your browser. People go easy on browser games.

Maybe you could focus on ARM systems also, hopefully more ARM netbooks/handhelds will come out in the coming months. Getting ARM games to run on a desktop should be pretty easy as far as emulation goes, and if you use a browsers standards than the plug-in would work cross platform on the many desktop operating systems/configurations. Heck, that would be cool to have a Firefox exclusive game or something. If you want funding maybe go to Google to make it a Chrome exclusive. On loading screens on the browser port you could advertise handhelds that your game works on.

I don't know, I'm tired and thought I'd just write these ideas down for you. If they aren't good ideas ignore them, like I said I'm tired, I'm off to bed right now.

btw, if you start brushing up on your advertising/marketing skills, you CAN make this game free to the end-user WHILE earning money (ad banners, audio ads, in-game billboards, etc etc.).

But you know, if you have a fully rigged, skinned, and animated character you're one big step ahead, because for the most part, you can just modify that one to make more, to make it faster. (first you have to plan most of the actions that will be performed and the size of the objects they will be performed on, so you can align the animations to the correct positions of the things you'll interact with.)
Then when it comes to inanimate objects, items, equipment, etc... That stuff usually pops out like an assembly line.
Then you have the environment, like the different towns, maps, flora/fauna, terrain, water, sky, environmental effects, particle effects (like pollen and bugs flying in the air), etc... If you go with the "pre-made" style game, where towns are "set in stone" and the maps are pre-determined, like wow, or most of those cheap quick asian free MMO's that keep popping up, then designing the world will take a looong time... But, if you go with sort of a wilderness/randomly generated terrain heightmap algorithm and placement maps for trees and other misc plants... Then you start off with a fully complete world and all you have to do is add in towns, roads, quest objects, npcs, etc. Which takes much less time and actually ends up better because the world is "free roaming" where every area is explorable with no invisible walls (which players love).

Personally, I'm a good graphic artist (self-taught) and I learned everything I know because I joined an indie game dev team and I was their "pillar" because I was the only graphic artist, so I was pushed hard and had to learn a lot because they had big dreams (had). All in all, I have made almost everything an online mmorpg needs, including a complete WORLD map (an actual complete globe, with oceans, land with mountains, forests, deserts, etc.) but the terrain was randomly generated, but that actually ends up looking more realistic and photo realistic than hand-made, but I also had to do some fine tuning to add in roads. I also had to make point maps to place the trees and other things on a global scale... Then split everything into zones... I dunno, should take at least 6 months if you hurry and organize everything in a way so you can pretty much get an "assembly line" moving.

Gary13579 said:
I just need to brush up my modelling skills, now, as that will be the main problem

I'm quite sure there will a lot of other problems. A mmo is definitely not something you will develop on your own or else you should create your game company right now as a lot of big teams tried to create such games and failed to do something fun enough to work.

As for MMO's, I myself a tired of the "do-this-do-that" style, all this "gimme 12 acorns and I'll tell you where the sword is"-crap. Instead, we should be doing it more story-driven and team-based. At any time, people may leave or come, given that the newcomers to the team have progressed that far themselves (lv2 mage vs final boss = fail). Maybe even give different races different quirks that forces cooperation, such as big race helps tiny race up legdes and tiny race can crawl through holes to activate switches to let big race through the obstacle. The "one cannot exist without the other" consept.

In my opinion, we should try a new approach instead of just making an illegitimate child of two random MMO, though we could combine several elements of other MMO's/RPG's for the battle system added to our own ideas (yes our, I show interest). And I really support the steampunk, but if we could combine that with magic, kinda like FFIX, but more of a vitctorian styling than medival?

Also, if we could get rid of this level-system, we could annihilate all this annoying grinding. FunCom has announced that their upcoming MMO (The Secret World) will use a skill-based system where grinding is hopefully near-non-existent. If not, the bosses should sufficiently balanced so that the player won't have to powerlevel on killer bee's for the next two months, but instead be able to go ahead with the levels s/he simply earned on the way.

But in the end, if this is going to be started for real, we need to have a bunch of people getting together for an initial brainstorming. Whatever I said in this post will only be my own ramblings, but we should take everyone's ramblings up for consideration, whether they'd be programmers, artists or secretaries.

I myself can do some simple 3D models, I'm currently in the process of learning Maya. But what 3D apps are other people using here?

S-r-ex said:
Also, if we could get rid of this level-system, we could annihilate all this annoying grinding. FunCom has announced that their upcoming MMO (The Secret World) will use a skill-based system where grinding is hopefully near-non-existent. If not, the bosses should sufficiently balanced so that the player won't have to powerlevel on killer bee's for the next two months, but instead be able to go ahead with the levels s/he simply earned on the way.

Absolutely! I completely agree with you! That's what I've ever dreamt about, a MMO with a smarter game system than the blasting old level/XP one.

I myself can do some simple 3D models, I'm currently in the process of learning Maya. But what 3D apps are other people using here?

Blender! It would be a shame to use a proprietary tool to develop for an open handheld when free and as good counterparts exist!
See what can be done with it: http://www.yofrankie.org/gallery. And these are not the most impressive screenshots of this game I've seen. (Okay, you're not gonna do this after two weeks and such a game isn't ever gonna run on the Pandora, but it kinda shows what this soft is capable of)

Concerning a MMO that could be ported on Pandora : Why not PlaneShift? I've never tried it myself, but I know it known to be a good one. It too is not based on a level system, and wikipedia's description is really attractive. (Of course, there'll be some restrictions to do to the client, for example now the game needs some 512Mb of RAM, but it's for a normal OS, which takes a significant part of the RAM. I wouldn't be the same for a lightweight OS like Pandora's)

I've tried Blender, and it's pretty much OK besides the awful camera control. All by a sudden, the scene is flipped 93 degrees to the left and the camera defaults are necessary to reset it horizontally. Also, the developers seems a little too fond of keyboard shortcuts...

how about you create a post apacolyptic theme. like fallout except all mmo style play.

pbostrm said:

2 Guys created runescape out of their basement that games decent.

With a 10 man team and a pre rendered base this game could be cranked out in an estimated 5 and a half months.

Back