3D MMO on Pandora.

Gary13579

Anyone interested in a game like this?

I've been toying with the idea of an MMO for a while. I've got the ability/skill to make it, and the marketing skills to make it big. It'd be cross platform, Linux/Windows/Mac/Pandora/PSP/iPhone/DS (requires me to port the 3D engine to it, may not be possible).

It would be VERY WoW style, but much more casual. It wouldn't require the amount of playtime that WoW does.

Sure. The more the merrier. I'm a fan of MMO games, and something that is WoW-ish but is much more casual would be great. Also, if it's as big as you think it could be, it might be a great way to get the Pandora "noticed" by the mainstream.

In the old forums I thought someone was already making a mmo but I don't think it was a 3d one. Anyway I think it is a good idea to have a mmo similar to WoW but not so addictive so it would be suited to a casual gamer. It would also be good if there was voice chat so communication would be easier.

doesn't this sort of thing take a couple of years?

It's amazing how some people can single handedly do all of this.

I don't generally care for "Massively Multiplayer" there's simply too big a player to admin ratio to keep trouble to a minimum. I prefer the old Neverwinter Nights multiplayer, where servers were set up by players, but could handle substantial quantities of clients (generally topping out around 64 players). Usually if someone started trouble there they'd be taken care of quickly by the admin (who wanted to enjoy playing the server as well...). Have home computers running the server software, and whatever else including the Pandora, log in with client software. Of course this is my own preference, and depending on how the MMO was set up I'd still play.

Besides that, I know fantasy MMOs are the thing, but I'd really like to see something in a new genre. A good original Sci-Fi setting, or a "Etherium Steampunk" with all manner of pseudo-retro weird-science quasi-steam vehicles in a Victorian setting (Remember the Victorian era includes the Wild West, as well as the English in India, and the first of the 'big game hunters' in Africa and the East.) Tack on some of the wilder scientific ideas of the time and you get "Gravity reflecting materials" and "Ether Sails" that could sail ships between planets to encounter Lovecraft's horrors of Mars (or bikini-clad Venusian Amazons...)

I've got shelves full of fantasy games, single-player and online, WoW has been just another in that long line and I'm getting the irresistible urge to yawn at every new Medieval Fantasy... I just want to see something different, creative and fun. Show me environments I've never seen before. Make it interesting and new.

joa said:

Using a pre built 3D engine, that cuts the time down a shit ton already. I'm very well aware of how multiplayer games work, and could make a working one pretty damn fast (months, not years).

The other thing I'm debating doing is a Diablo 2 style game. I absolutely love D2, but it's basically been abandoned (Blizzard isworking on a new patch, oddly enough).

Gary13579 said:
joa said:

Using a pre built 3D engine, that cuts the time down a shit ton already. I'm very well aware of how multiplayer games work, and could make a working one pretty damn fast (months, not years).

The other thing I'm debating doing is a Diablo 2 style game. I absolutely love D2, but it's basically been abandoned (Blizzard isworking on a new patch, oddly enough).

Well i'm behind you 100%.

Gary13579 said:
joa said:

Yeah sure, but where are you going to get all your content? Art, music, quests, stories, etc. etc.

D2 is really good. do that. :)

Gary13579 said:
joa said:

I keep thinking about doing a PSO type game (PSO basically being a sci-fi Diablo clone)

benjymous said:
Gary13579 said:
joa said:

I keep thinking about doing a PSO type game (PSO basically being a sci-fi Diablo clone)
PSO-styled is what I prefer (both from a content and a technology standpoint). I'm still talking with a few guys about something similar to PSO.

sounds cool. fantasy mmo is my favorite followed by superheroes and robots (gundam, transformers types). wowish and diablo 2 type sounds great. and yes do make it addicting. thats what makes mmo games awesome and fun. casual would put me to sleep.

would there be servers and a monthly fee? or would it be like battle.net?

zohn said:
wowish and diablo 2 type sounds great. and yes do make it addicting. thats what makes mmo games awesome and fun. casual would put me to sleep.
OH yeah, it's so easy to make addicting open-source mmo games.
Next you're going to say "hey, Nintendo is basically printing money with their handheld, we need someone to make an open-source handheld that's the size of the DS but better!"
:lol:

A 3D MMO would be awesome, I like the genre but don't play any because I don't have the time and don't want to become addicted :p but to have one that is easy to pick up but also easy to put back down on Pandora would be fantastic!

I'd be very interested in helping out on this project.
I would even consider supporting it financially (small donation).

I would prefer an action based MMO which isn't mouse but almost pure joystick if possible.
Something like this:
[youtube]fP8DB25chLU[/youtube]
But it is gonna be hard cause this game has height factor as well, for "air" combos.

rabidpoobear said:
zohn said:
wowish and diablo 2 type sounds great. and yes do make it addicting. thats what makes mmo games awesome and fun. casual would put me to sleep.
OH yeah, it's so easy to make addicting open-source mmo games.
Next you're going to say "hey, Nintendo is basically printing money with their handheld, we need someone to make an open-source handheld that's the size of the DS but better!"
:lol:

Never said anything about it being open sourced. I'll work my ass off to get it running on every platform possible, and willing to give the source to trusted developers to help, but it won't be completely open source.

As far as fees, I don't know yet. It will probably be free, and if it isn't free, there will always be a free version available. I don't care about being compensated for development hours (although it would be nice), but server/bandwidth fees are a bitch. I can host it on a server that's been lying around my house for a while, but I'd still be spending $100ish a month for an extra line from my ISP.

Back