BrowserQuest possible on Pandora?

Well, since Pandora runs the same version of FireFox that'd run on your desktop, there's theoretically no reason it wouldn't work.

Practically, however... hmm... Be back in 10 minutes.

It loads and connects, the window is fairly small but not entirely impractical. Unfortunately I can't move.

On the desktop, the cursor is changed and moving the mouse around highlights squares, clicking on one moves your character to that square. No such things happen here. I am stationary. Won't even highlight tiles. I can click on the various icons and menus and stuff, but that's useless if you can't interact with the world.

On a plus note, I did see some other users move through my view, and while they were fairly choppy it wasn't game breakingly so, seeming to move tile by tile in jumps instead of fluidly like on the desktop.

edit: and this is at stock 500Mhz.... oh, someone just killed a rat. There was sound. Neat. I hadn't realized the FF on Pandora ever made any sound. Facebook certainly doesn't. Also note that it takes a fair chunk of RAM. I'm 40MB into my swap file and FF with this one tab is the only thing running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I just completed this on PC. It's pretty neat for an HTML5 demo!

@WizardStan: It'd be interesting to hear if it runs smoothly on a 512MB pandora, since you're using swap.

Would there also be some speedup from hardware rendering support? Or should that "just work" already?

Increasing cpu to 700Mhz makes everything nice and smooth, but still can't move. Upgraded to FF11 to no avail.

Increasing cpu to 700Mhz makes everything nice and smooth, but still can't move. Upgraded to FF11 to no avail.

Awesome about the smoothness. On PC, you only move about by using the mouse and left clicking on the screen. Maybe FF needs to be bundled with Notaz' fixed version of SDL or something?

Awesome about the smoothness. On PC, you only move about by using the mouse and left clicking on the screen. Maybe FF needs to be bundled with Notaz' fixed version of SDL or something?

In the sourcecode it looks like the game also recognizes some keyboard presses:

https://github.com/mozilla/BrowserQuest/blob/master/client/js/main.js

That was a fun little diversion. Not much to do after getting all the achievements though.

streaks chromium-crash, streaks quzilla-crash, chromium-dev- runs very nice at my default 800mhz, midori-no html5

That game deserves more content and native clients (with websockets it shouldn't be a problem, if the client is written sanely) :) . I could see something like that balloon if content creation and mechanic addons were simple to make :p

Back