2014 - a Sneak Peek! (2014-01-02)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
The new year has started - and I hope it did start well for you.

A fresh new year, new plans, new possibilities.

What will happen in Pandora and Pyra-Land?

I can at least give you some information.

1. FOSDEM 2014

Yes, we'll be at the FOSDEM again this year (taking place 1st and 2nd February in Brussels)

We'll have a table and I'll have a small talk in the gaming dev room - Saturday evening, 6 - 7pm.

Of course, we'll have some Pandoras there and I'll also talk about the Pandora in the devroom.

However, we might also have some information or even previews of the Pyra there.

Askarus will be there Saturday and Sunday the full days, while I will be there Saturday 2pm to 7pm and the full Sunday.

You're very welcome to visit us and get more information about the Pandora / Pyra.

I'm also open for any interviews, in case some of you are bloggers or even writing for magazines.

2. Alive and Kicking Coding Competition

Looking at the current list of entries, we'll see some awesome releases for the Pandora!

Thanks a lot to all devs participiating - it shows how lively the Pandora scene is.

A bright future :)

3. Pandoras and Craigs remaining customers

Hopefully, we'll be able to fulfill many more of Craigs remaining orders, but we have no idea how many that'll be.

We're trying to do our best, but Pandora stock is limited now due to some parts needed for Pandora production that have seen the end of life quite a while ago.

However, any customer who still remains after the last Pandora has been sold will be able to get the Pyra for production costs - whenever it might be ready.

I don't want to forget anyone, so I'm trying to offer whatever I can.

4. More partly defective Classic Pandoras

We still got over 100 defective boards from CC and will now focus on finding out if they are still usable in some way.

They will all be at the Pandora-Section at the DragonBox Shop, so be sure to check it out every once in a while to see if there's one that is of interest to you.

They're all units with brand new cases (most of them had some small scratches from the very beginning though) and PCBs which have one or more issues.

5. The DragonBox Pyra

With the Pandora reaching the end of production, when will the Pyra be available?

We have no idea. And looking back at the Pandora developments, I will NOT give any estimations.

But we'll work on it. And you will be able to follow us with videos and pictures I'll post.

We'll probably start with that after the FOSDEM.

Thanks to all of you - quite a few good ideas from the community will find their ways into the Pyra.

And with a capable production company from the very beginning as well as a case company in Europe, things are looking a lot better.

It'll most probably still be a while until it's finished. So in case you're thinking about getting a Pandora or wait for the successor, I'd get a Pandora now - as stock is limited.

So much for a peek into 2014. If you have any further questions, let me know :)

Hate to say this but I hate to see Craig's mess will still be around in 2014 :eek:  .  Just hope it doesn't eat into your profit margin and slow down PYRA's progress.

Other than that, best luck to you, your PYRA team as well as your and their families. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No estimation dates for the Pyra? Why, what could possibly go wrong :p

Looking forward to the videos and pictures. Let's hope it will run smooth this time.

thanks for the update and a happy new year ed & the whole pandora/pyra community!
2014 will be awesome!! :)

Thanks for the update ED. I'm glad to see the Pandora still going strong so long after it's initial release. Sadly, to many early preorders are still waiting on their units, but hopefully with community help, more can finally receive a Pandora. I'm sending my classic unit back today for an upgrade to finally get a 1ghz unit, so hopefully my old unit will find a new home. All the best to everyone for 2014 and beyond.

Chris

Thanks for the update ED. I'm glad to see the Pandora still going strong so long after it's initial release. Sadly, to many early preorders are still with their units, but hopefully with community help, more can finally receive a Pandora. I'm sending my classic unit back today for an upgrade to finally get a 1ghz unit, so hopefully my old unit will find a new home. All the best to everyone for 2014 and beyond.

Chris
Why is it sad if the early preorders have their units? :)  

^ It's sad that some people that pre-ordered in 2008 still haven't got theirs yet and it's still an issue in 2014.

Ed, I will meet you at FOSDEM and after the presentation in France at Capitole du Libre and on booth at the Toulouse Game Show (with Linux-Swat and ptitSeb at both events), FOSDEM is another good place to present the present and the future of the hardware and software in the community. Maybe, this year, we could try to have booth at two French events.
Advertise all the community works is a fantastic task too :) .

Just quotet EDs Sneak Peak on the german Openhandhelds board (forum.gp2x.de)

Evildragon, mybe whe miss you in the german boards, you post somethimes in the thougth wat game/movie it is quiz threadt, but your not often on our board

^I quit the German boards because stuff gets posted double and its a hassle to keep up to date on both forums. ED's a busy man, go easy on him (for he shoud focus on Pyra development, right?) : p

I ditnt say, ED should post his news also on the german boards, only that iwould like him to post more in the german boards..

I can quote the News he make easely on the german board,

And i know he post here because the pyra/pandora is a international produkt and more peaple can english better than german

So maybe its better whe post his news on german board as he do the work twice..

Pandora will definitely have a successor? Splendid news. I'm in.

Back