2 Months..... umm, weeks to go (2012-02-06)

EvilDragon,

Will you be willing to sell the new board alone for a self-upgrade? If so how much for the new board alone?

I wouldn't mind 'upgrading' but I don't want to be without my Pandora.

Yes, that would also be fine with me.

Do you want to send back your old PCB to me, or do you want to keep it? :)

This sounds better to me too. This is how they sell some auto part replacements in the US.

The customer pays a price for the unit (cost of the new part) plus a core charge (value of the old part).

The customer swaps them out and returns the core.

The store inspects the core - and if it is functional for their purpose, issues a refund for the core charge.

I'd still like to see an upgrade option where we can get a faster CPU too for another 75EUR (or thereabouts). I use mine heavily for desktop usage - muti-tasking, etc... More RAM and more CPU would both be good things.

Thank you,

Grench

I'd really love to send out all the remaining preorders out first - but unfortunately, this is not possible.

The reason is simple: I need about 250,000 EUR to produce 1000 Pandoras and that money needs to come from somewhere.

So I need to sell new units first (the new preorders) to get enough money to have the next 1000 units safe and then the remaining ones will all go out to the classic preorders.

I'm aware that that's pretty annoying for all of you who have been waiting so long - but I can't do much about it (unless someone donates me about 300,000 EUR ;) )
Whoa, buddy, now wait a second. Isn't that exactly what you gathered your illustrious circle of investors for (including myself)? I understood the point of us investing was to make sure that production would become to some degree independent of advance orders, etc.

Edit: Removed signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only disappointment for me is the neverending story about the TV Cable. I hope I will recieve one before I'm old and grey. Seriously, nearly every cheap China handheld already comes with some Cables and much more. so it can't be that hard to make such Cables in China.

@EvilDragon

did you think about a sort of "compensation" for all of us who are frustrated to have to wait again even after the begining of mass production...?

(for example tv out calbles offered as gift)

did you think about a sort of "compensation" for all of us who are frustrated to have to wait again even after the begining of mass production...?
How about double RAM? Or four times more RAM for first day preorders. 128->256->512MB.

I'd really love to send out all the remaining preorders out first - but unfortunately, this is not possible.

The reason is simple: I need about 250,000 EUR to produce 1000 Pandoras and that money needs to come from somewhere.

So I need to sell new units first (the new preorders) to get enough money to have the next 1000 units safe and then the remaining ones will all go out to the classic preorders.

my preorder was not supposed to pay my pandora?

each preorder were not supposed to pay every concerned pandoras?

How about double RAM? Or four times more RAM for first day preorders. 128->256->512MB.

no!

people will have it without waiting as long as us.

THe responses are coming in faster than I can keep up in reading....

The gist I got was that right now there are funding issues for getting the "old" preorders up further. Also, out of 600, about half paid the minimum price. I wouldn't mind putting in the remainder needed for my pandora if that'd help much..I'm honestly not sure where I'm at in the queue at the moment anyways, so maybe you were about to start sending emails already so this would be moot....but if not, maybe you can update the main "preorder" page, and put another topic on giving people the instructions to pay for the rest of their pandora?

Since TV cables are out of the question now, this shouldn't delay the orders for those who ordered with the TV cable right? Maybe just remove it from our order, and we pay the remainder (minus the TV cable) and can buy the cable at a later date.

no!

people will have it without waiting as long as us.
I paid 150 73 bucks less and they keep the project alive. I would be put to shame for candy crying.

I'm aware that that's pretty annoying for all of you who have been waiting so long - but I can't do much about it (unless someone donates me about 300,000 EUR ;) )
Whoa, buddy, now wait a second. Isn't that exactly what you gathered your illustrious circle of investors for (including myself)? I understood the point of us investing was to make sure that production would become to some degree independent of advance orders, etc.
Have a look into the investment plan again. Everything is listed there in every detail, and so far everything is going according to that plan.

Yes: the investment was to set up a stable and constant production, and ensure that the project can continue.

No: the investment was not set up to send out all current preorders at once and not give a cent back to the investors because there would be nothing left if ED would do that.

That's what I want right there, a "blue/green/red/whatever stamp of a dragon", I DEMAND a girl dragon, ED pay no attention just keep doing you're thing, I'm bored sitting in work reading this and people keep looking at me 'cos I'm laughing out loud, thank god I only have to go into work on Monday's

mind tradin jobs for a while?

If go by the time that nintendo first started working on the 3ds, you would have waited 8 years. they started working on it right after the release of the fat DS.

besides to play homebrew on that 3ds you would have to mod/hack it, the pandora is open.

and let's see that 3ds get 14+ hours of battery life

How long from when they announced it *for sale* and it getting into the hands of the consumer (if you're comparing like-for-like)?

Maybe the 3DS does have bad battery life, but the difference between the two devices is that I have a 3DS - like, in my hands, able to play it - while the Pandora seems still a pipe dream away.

There's a relevant saying: 'A bird in the hand...'
if anyone wanted a 3ds im sure theyd just go and buy one.

heres an idea how to deliver old_preorders faster:

• kick the ones who started bitchin off the list. its a win-win situation!

im obviously kidding. no offense.

the new start with GC seems promising after all, doesnt it?

let ED do his magic and stay true to the project, youll get your pandora eventually.

enjoy your 3ds in the meantime :)

As a rather ancient preorderererer, I certainly know things could have gone smoother, but I feel that the best is being made of the situation. I never really thought things were going to go according to plan, and I'm happy someone is committing themselves so extraordinarily to making this quirky pocket computer happen. I'm quite happy that I'm going to see an extra 256MB for my original payment. It will make direct development on the device much easier.

In the meantime, I've been learning some C++, makefile and Linux stuff so that I'm ready to get the most out of this thing when it finally gets to my hands.

Go ED!

Wow... I can't see how people don't get it...

The investors were to make sure we could start mass production of Pandora again. (otherwise OP would go bust).

Mass production is going ahead in Germany and everything is going to plan.

OP need to keep selling Pandoras to make mass production continue...

So they NEED (not want...) new orders alongside those that have waited patiently to keep things going to try and get to the point were they will eventually break even.

Seriously what about this is so hard to grasp. Yes it's unfair to expect everyone to be "happy" with this situation, but seriously what more can ED do, short of making a pact with the devil... should such a being exist.

So they NEED (not want...) new orders alongside those that have waited patiently to keep things going to try and get to the point were they will eventually break even.
This was even detailed in the investment document, that sales would continue while fulfilling old pre-orders.

EvilDragon,

Will you be willing to sell the new board alone for a self-upgrade? If so how much for the new board alone?

I wouldn't mind 'upgrading' but I don't want to be without my Pandora.

Yes, that would also be fine with me.

Do you want to send back your old PCB to me, or do you want to keep it? :)

This sounds better to me too. This is how they sell some auto part replacements in the US.

The customer pays a price for the unit (cost of the new part) plus a core charge (value of the old part).

The customer swaps them out and returns the core.

The store inspects the core - and if it is functional for their purpose, issues a refund for the core charge.

I'd still like to see an upgrade option where we can get a faster CPU too for another 75EUR (or thereabouts). I use mine heavily for desktop usage - muti-tasking, etc... More RAM and more CPU would both be good things.

Thank you,

Grench

Can't agree with the faster CPU- it'd cause an explosion of drama that would suck these boards into a singularity of seething nerd rage... however, I'd love to see a price on ordering just a board as I, too, wouldn't want to be without my Pandora but would appreciate a little more RAM.

Unfortunately I also need some pretty serious TLC in the case department... so I'm constantly tending back towards the "wheee just buy another Pandora" idea.

In retrospective, the one thing OP could've done differently was the pricing. The unit should've costed 50% more right from the start. It's certainly impossible to predict all the issues that OP ran into, but having more cash available would've been certainly helpful. Then again, it's easier to see things in retrospective.

BTW, kudos to ED and the OP team. Hoping here that Pandora production in Germany can finally take off and run without a hitch for years to come. :)

(Consider my post from the point of view of someone who hasn't yet ordered, but is looking onto it since about half a year, not 3½ years)

I can't understand why people are complaining that other people are getting their Pandora before them if the difference is merely a few weeks? Shouldn't they be happy that everyone is getting their Pandoras in the next months? Indeed, if you discovered the project earlier, you waited longer, I agree on that point. But I doubt such a small delay is going to make someone angry enough for him to want a refund.

When the production starts, I'll convince my parents that I want to order one (I'm minor and don't have a PayPal account) and then I'll wait until all previous orders will be fulfilled. Unless I order mine earlier and hopefully an original preorderer can get his faster?

Good luck for the production, EvilDragon ! :)

I would be put to shame for candy crying.
you can't use this expression of "candy crying" as a repetitive argument for this situation just to give your position as the "good" one.

if you don't mind with waiting an other time, and this time after the new orders, so wait as long as you can cheer yourself with your unwavering legendary patience, but accept that we are not obliged to be as you.

and my question was destinated to ED, my "candy crying" reaction was in response of your interference on my question.

ehm... reading all the thread gives me headaches...

I want only to know a thing about the "give some money to receive faster":

are Craig and ED of the same idea ? Or is this option available only for german pre-orders ?

Wow... I can't see how people don't get it...

The investors were to make sure we could start mass production of Pandora again. (otherwise OP would go bust).

Mass production is going ahead in Germany and everything is going to plan.

OP need to keep selling Pandoras to make mass production continue...

Seriously what about this is so hard to grasp. Yes it's unfair to expect everyone to be "happy" with this situation, but seriously what more can ED do, short of making a pact with the devil... should such a being exist.

You rang?

But seriously, you're right. What more can be done that hasn't already been done? The situation sucks, but it sucks more for none other than ED. He's still going to fulfill his promises. Most people would have quit long ago.

Back