2 Months..... umm, weeks to go (2012-02-06)

EvilDragon,

Will you be willing to sell the new board alone for a self-upgrade? If so how much for the new board alone?

I wouldn't mind 'upgrading' but I don't want to be without my Pandora.

Yes, that would also be fine with me.

Do you want to send back your old PCB to me, or do you want to keep it? :)

I would want to keep the old PCB, but others may want to return it.

Can we get a estimate on the price for both options?

Thanks!

Can't agree with the faster CPU- it'd cause an explosion of drama that would suck these boards into a singularity of seething nerd rage... however, I'd love to see a price on ordering just a board as I, too, wouldn't want to be without my Pandora but would appreciate a little more RAM.

Unfortunately I also need some pretty serious TLC in the case department... so I'm constantly tending back towards the "wheee just buy another Pandora" idea.

I like the idea of a faster CPU, but I agree with you 100%...right now it'd be a *very* bad idea. Maybe after at least a few months, if not closer to a year, after the pandora is released we can see a CPU upgrade option. I think the form factor itself - being different than that of a netbook and being open is what'll keep the project alive...

Well...alive if/when all the pandoras are delivered and if there's money left over and all.

EvilDragon or anyone with a reference (perhaps the business plan? I didn't see it), is the plan closer to which of the following:

A.) Take X new orders. Ship units to X new orders in queue order, THEN ship units to Y old preorders in queue order.

-or-

B.) Take X new orders, and ship on a rolling basis one Y old preorder for each group of several 'sponsor' orders from the X list, which would make constant progress through both the X and Y queues, so they would end at the same time.

I might have missed this, but just wanted a clarification. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey ED

Any chance the new cases will help with the screen bezel bowing and the battery cover bowing? Only things that keep this bad boy from becoming perfect ;)

Laserbeams, the plan is not to have an ongoing slow production, but spaced-out but quite fast bursts:

c) Take new orders for the new higher price into a separate queue. Produce X units within days, exploiting the Awe-Inducing Speediness of German Engineering. Deliver just enough of these units to the Higher Price New Orders queue to ensure there's enough money to make the next X units, and mail the rest to the Lower Price Prepaid Old Orders queue. Repeat until the Old Orders queue is empty.

I like the idea of of an early preorder exclusive feature on the Pandora, like a sticker or something.

I think my estimated position was 2200-2300; do I even still get my 1st batch sticker in the first place?

Since early preorderers have waited so long (and have to wait so long), I vote for some super-special sticker, like this:

Just something to make me feel special (even if my Photoshop skills aren't).

I thought the early pre-orders are already getting a special sticker. At least, mine has a "1st Batch" style sticker on it.

I wouldn't mind the special Craig hat sticker...

Anyone CAN upgrade to move up the queue, but I want to let the user decide how much this is worth for him.

I need to set a minimum amount (maybe 75 - 100 EUR?), but if someone really wants to support what we're doing and likes the Pandora, he can pay more and therefore help deliver the units faster to old preorders as well.
I've pre-ordered a batch 2 Pandora in 2010. I've since resided to the fact that I may have to wait a total of 3 or so years to get my Pandora. My money is already in your hands and it's taken me two years of waiting to get to this point so I may as well continue waiting for that special day to come when I finally see mine. You have my blessing to start with this scheme that you hope will give you the funds to start batch 2 production.

Are all of the leftover "early preorders" in the first batch? There are second-batchers waiting on their's too right? In that case, maybe there could be two separate stickers; one for first batch, and one for "early preorders."

That sticker idea sounds quite interesting.

Maybe those who have waited for soooo long, should get something like a custom case? Of course custom cases cost much more than stickers, but as a fellow member of community. I'm only suggesting. ^_^

I'm sure ED will make sure everyone is happily sitting in couch using their own Pandora. :)

ED,

If so, ping me a message with your bank details and I'll transfer the difference. I trust that my order was originally placed with Craig won't affect things on that front...

Note: I don't want this to bump me up the queue, I want it to *maintain* my place in the queue, on the first-come-first-served basis - which is how it should be handled for everyone - but I do want to pay a price for the unit where you're not getting screwed. :)

I also would like to know how the upgrade-orders will be handled.

I already wrote an email to upgrade back in January, I guess I will have to upgrade again "the official way"?

Also (just out of interest) how are things handled from Craigs side?

Note: I don't want this to bump me up the queue, I want it to *maintain* my place in the queue, on the first-come-first-served basis - which is how it should be handled for everyone - but I do want to pay a price for the unit where you're not getting screwed. :)
That is very noble of you. (Honestly, no sarcasm from my side, I'd want to either get it cheaper or pay the difference to get it faster)

wow, lot of drama.

I'm a 4th day preorder, and I'd just like to say I'm cool with waiting a few more weeks as long as they're being made.

Well done ED for getting everything moving.

My first Batch Pandora ditnt had any Sticker, beside of the Batterysticker, but the Sticker in the "room where the batterie should be" was lost..

So i want to mail EvilDragon in time, if the TV Out Cabel are allready to ship to get this sticker for my first Batch Pandy i got march last yeahr..

I preordered in Novembre 2008, and made a Premiumupdate last Yeahr..

And the Batch one Pandora i got, was great, ok, the Case isnt that good, but the machine himself is realy nice, also whit 256 mb.., im tried to play Final Fantasy VII on it..,

so if there are more great Homebrewgames, i think the Pandora 1 would get a lot happy customers in the future,

That is very noble of you. (Honestly, no sarcasm from my side, I'd want to either get it cheaper or pay the difference to get it faster)

Noble yes, but I can't see how what he is asking could be even remotely practical, given that there are multiple queues involved, especially being that he placed his original order with craigix. It sounds good, but the queueing model he's using doesn't match reality, so what he is asking actually makes no sense.

-Neelix

Back