Zombie Apocalypse Player Perspective Poll

Which gamestyle/perspective should "Zombie Apocalypse" use?

• Top down, looking almost straight down at the characters heads, ala Grand Theft Auto 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.5D isometric, tile based isometric view with sprite animations.

• 3D birds eye/virtual isometric with 3D models.

• 3rd person chase view, ala Grand Theft Auto 3

• 1st person, ala Quake

• Total voters

closetwam

Website
Visit site
Here's a little poll to help facilitate a consensus concerning an important part of the overall style and gameplay of the game "Zombie Apocalypse".

If you feel another option should be added to the poll, just say so and I'll edit it accordingly.

This should be up to the developers as said in the thread about the game. There is no point in the community voting for a perspective when the developers may not even want to that perspective. Motivation is created enthusiasm for an idea and it should really be up too them. The only reason I suggested that we state what we would like is that because there are a few people in that thread that have detailed ideas and will be participating in the making of the game.

BTW isometric view is not 2.5D, it is 2D made to look like 3D.

JakeK said:
actually, isometric just refers to the angle that the camera is at, be it 2d, or 3d graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, didn't we agree that a poll wouldn't be the best option here.

It did just what I had expected to happen, the majority wants 3D GTA style (the most complex choice).

I completely agree that this decision should be made by the developers. The poll is informational only, and in no way decisive.

From the wikipedia article on 2.5D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5D)
2.5D (two-and-a-half dimensional) is an informal term used to describe visual phenomena which are considered "between" 2D and 3D. This is often also called pseudo-3D.

The term is usually used with computer graphics, especially video games, where a computer system uses 2D computer graphics to visually simulate 3D computer graphics. One such method is where a 2D image has an added "depth" channel or Z-buffer which may act like a height map. The term is also used to describe 3D scenes built completely or partially from a composite of flat 2D images; and also where gameplay is restricted to a 2D plane while the display uses 3D graphics and 3D models.

Snu said:
JakeK said:
actually, isometric just refers to the angle that the camera is at, be it 2d, or 3d graphics.

True, I forgot to put 'pixel art' in after 'isometric'

PlopperZ said:
Yeah, didn't we agree that a poll wouldn't be the best option here.

It did just what I had expected to happen, the majority wants 3D GTA style (the most complex choice).
Exactly why I don't want the poll, I want the devs to not care about the communities opinions (to a certain extent). Informational or not, if the game gets released and it isn't the way the community wants it there will be this outcry about how they asked for a certain style and didn't get it. A poll does nothing for this game, rather it hurts it in the long run. GTA style shouldn't even be considered, to make a game in that way would take too long, is too difficult for just homebrew and in the end something is going to be sacrificed just to have this style; whether that be graphics, gameplay etc.

closetwam said:
I completely agree that this decision should be made by the developers. The poll is informational only, and in no way decisive.

From the wikipedia article on 2.5D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5D)
2.5D (two-and-a-half dimensional) is an informal term used to describe visual phenomena which are considered "between" 2D and 3D. This is often also called pseudo-3D.

The term is usually used with computer graphics, especially video games, where a computer system uses 2D computer graphics to visually simulate 3D computer graphics. One such method is where a 2D image has an added "depth" channel or Z-buffer which may act like a height map. The term is also used to describe 3D scenes built completely or partially from a composite of flat 2D images; and also where gameplay is restricted to a 2D plane while the display uses 3D graphics and 3D models.
I have had a look at many Pixel Artists websites and there is no mention of 2.5D. They always call it 2D. I haven't seen Isometric Pixel Art referenced as 2.5D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back