Zombie Apocalypse

emil10001 said:
I'm wondering if it'd be worth it/possible to recruit said artists from the blender forums or something, if necessary.
Worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Emil - I'll take a look and modify as needed (I see you noticed I gave developers posting rights :) )

I think inviting Blender artists is both a good & bad idea.

It is good because: we need the artists, the Blender community has some good artists, and some would be interested in the development of art assets for an open-source game.

It might be bad because: the Blender community has an open game already under active development, they like using the "Blender game engine" for their games (whereas currently we're using ioquake3 or sauerbraten). That said, a Blender port would be most interesting... don't want to get carried away though.

--BenT

Yea, I was mostly using blender as an example. I did go onto their forums, and noticed the same things that you pointed out, that they have their own engine, and that it might be difficult to recruit there. I'm sure that there are other places we could look for artists as well.

One thing that we do have going for us is an interesting and fun idea that people will be interested in working on. Something that we'll need to consider if we're looking for people outside of this community is that it might be difficult to get people to develop a game that they'll never be able to play, if they aren't interested in the Pandora. So, we might need to open it up for PCs as well.

emil10001 said:
Yea, I was mostly using blender as an example. I did go onto their forums, and noticed the same things that you pointed out, that they have their own engine, and that it might be difficult to recruit there. I'm sure that there are other places we could look for artists as well.

One thing that we do have going for us is an interesting and fun idea that people will be interested in working on. Something that we'll need to consider if we're looking for people outside of this community is that it might be difficult to get people to develop a game that they'll never be able to play, if they aren't interested in the Pandora. So, we might need to open it up for PCs as well.
What language would you guys be using?

Yeah I guess I am out for good. I was excited for some sort of multiplayer game. I am happy about any cool and professionally done homebrew game though, so good luck and hopefully we will get something enjoyable or at least a nice project! I think it sounds interesting and feasible already.

Rangoth the Quasi-Evil said:
PlopperZ said:
According to BenT, probably C/C++
Cool, count me in. :) I have some A.I ideas I have been wanting to try for a little while now.

Great! I've been longing for a game with half-decent AI.

BenT said:
Are there any artists available?

--BenT

Hey BenT!

I've been lurking here for a while following the Pandora development and just skimmed through this thread after seeing it here for such a long time. I am a video game artist with roughly 8 years of experience in the industry and would potentially be interested in helping out in some form or fashion in the hope of helping to promote the Pandora project as a whole.

I have extensive experience in 3D modelling and texturing, and all that goes with that and I am also proficient in rigging/skinning, animating, lighting and have also previously (although it was a long time ago) worked with the Quake3 Arena engine making some maps and custom characters. I am, however, more on the technical side of things. So while that means I have some scripting knowledge and some minor programming (mostly C#) and shader editing (.FX) experience, I am probably not your best source for full blown concept art. It's been way too long since I've done any serious drawing but I could certainly doodle a couple concepts if I really had too to get an idea across. ;)

To be straight up I honestly don't know enough about this project to make any sort of commitment right now but if this turns out to be something that tickles my fancy and shows real potential I would be willing to dedicate some of my spare time to this. I haven't read through this entire thread, just the last 4 pages or so, but from the sound of some of the posts I haven't really missed much it seems. Is there anywhere I can find out a bit more about this project and the type of game you would like to make?

My spare time is pretty limited given the fact that the industry I'm in isn't exactly known for fixed working hours and I can see my next crunch looming on the horizon already. However, what I can maybe do for you is help you get things up and running, provide you with some test assets to start developing some workflows, test cases/prototypes/benchmarks with you so that by the time you have found more artists that can fully dedicate themselfs to this project and crank out assets everything is up and running somewhat smoothly. Of course it will be hard to work on any art without being able to see it running on the actual hardware but that isn't too big of a deal this early on.

Let me know what you think and please let me know if I can find out anymore about this project somewhere. The website didn't really seem to have any info on it yet...

Cheers!

Back