Zombie Apocalypse

You just contradicted yourself there, man. You say we should do the most realistic choice, then you criticize me for suggesting a quake mod?

Hmm- well, I think the best route is FIFE.
I know Python, so I could help development. Graphics could be either 2D OR pre-rendered 3D. It could have Top-down shooter, GTA-like elements, plus adventure and slight RPG elements.

We'd discussed FIFE, and decided that it would be the best option for 2D isometric. I thought we have already decided to go with 3D, because it would look the best and showcase Pandora's hardware. And BenT thinks we can handle it.

Either way we've really got to decide on something. We've gone through three-hundred some posts of going in circles.

*shakes head in disbelief*

Everytime we get some form of agreement, someone comes in and suggests we make it an MMO, or make it isometric rather than 3D, or we should put it to a vote, or...

I'm tired of having to reiterate my reasons for making the choices I have. So now I'll try a different tack.

I am going to make a 3D, third-person, action/adventure styled survival horror game for the Open Pandora console (provided I can get at least one mapper and one artist). I have setup a website at an old (but still working) PHP host where interested people can view what we're doing. People interested in developing this (and can make commitments on time), please PM me and I'll add you to the site with developer access.

If this causes too much friction (e.g. people think I am "stealing" the project), I'll withdraw the project and dedicate the site to another game project idea I'd like to develop. I'm not trying to be a jerk, simply trying to a project underway. If "Zombie Apocalypse" is not it, I'll put my effort into something else. That way, I get a project to work on and "Zombie Apocalypse" can continue on whatever path it chooses. I am taking this action so that SOMETHING gets done on the game front rather than endless discussion.

--BenT

BenT, I'm with you, and nice site, btw.

Did you see my comments on the last page? Do you have any thoughts about what I said?

Edit: sorry, a couple pages ago. (p22)
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=610709

Also, in most quake based games, can't you easily switch between first and third person? I didn't think that this was a huge issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
BenT, you still have not said what engine you would use. Your idea is too conceptual. Are you a coder?

Well, I believe that his idea was looking at either the Quake II or III engine, many of the other games mentioned are works using one of those engines. I think that using one of the quake engines is a smart move, especially since we can get the views that we want and end up with a nice looking game.

BenT - Can I get a login to the forms on your site? There's currently no 'Register' option. It also might be a good idea to try to move the discussion over there.

PoisenedV: I'm a coder (as mentioned in my intro ~1 week ago) and the engine is going be either the Sauerbraten (Cube 2) engine or Quake3 (ioquake3) engine with a variety of modifications. Quake3-based would be better in terms of mapping, support, etc - but it needs a dedicated mapper for best results (something I haven't seen pop up yet). Both support MD3 model formats through, and as such this is one of my first artist requests post-concept phase.

Potential Developers: Please send your email address when asking for accounts on the website. The software I am using to implement the site sends out your password to the email address (it also makes things easier to organise if developer's emails are available to team members).

--BenT

developers are just coders. Don't you mean developes, scripters, CAD ppl and Map Designers.

I'm a developer, but I gave up on this one a looong time ago. I might consider helping again if the right people are working on it, and I agree this PUBLIC forum is not working at all.

Definition of Developers: Well, I consider anyone involved in the "development" of the game a "developer", but I do get your point. The term is generally applied to us code monkeys only.

Desired Developers: An indie game ideally needs five types of developers to get of the ground: an artist, a coder, a mapper, a scripter, and a sound guy (though the last two tend not to be needed for a little while). So far we have a coder (myself), we are lacking artists, mappers, scripters, and sound guys/musicians.

Note, without AT LEAST an artist and a mapper - this project is going nowhere (at least not with me at the helm). I'm not interested in a simple Quake Mod, nor without an artist is this even likely.

I may sound like I'm "killing" the project before it gets off the ground, but all I'm being is realistic.

--BenT

I suggest you not list sound guys without a better description.

Every guy with a microphone will want to do voice overs just to get in. I did my zelda clone with a libary of 50 sounds that were freely available and it sounded very professional.

A sound guy should have the ability to find free sound and mix it by normalising and down sampling if required.

Well, for an artist I'm a novice graphic designer, and I make textures occasionally. I do coding, but not C++, and I do mapping and sound design.

I've got a friend who seems pretty good with the sound mixing thing. I could ask him if he'd be willing to help, I'm sure there'd be no problems. Not that I know about that kind of thing, but what he showed me sounded pretty good.

I think I'm going to have to start the monkey boy dance with a twist... What do we have available in terms of "artists, artists, artists, artists"?

Concept artists, model artists, and mappers (which I classify as "artists" with a twist) are missing from the equation...

We seem to have novice coders aplenty, one or two experienced coders, and a volunteer for textures, but for even a mod - there needs to be someone taking on the artistic stuff. We need sketches & models of the zombie types in the game, sketches & maps of the scenes, and so on.

Are there any artists available?

--BenT

I'm wondering if it'd be worth it/possible to recruit said artists from the blender forums or something, if necessary.

Back