Release ZDoom

oh dear this has really got me stumped...

so last night when I got it to work and finally launch I fired up the first level for a 5 second test, all seemed good so I turned my pandora off and went to sleep.

now I have come home and am trying to play some doom but again its not working.

it seems to be doing the exact thing as before even though it is a totaly fresh install of zdoom and the other sd card which seemed to be the culprit is not being used.

the log posted before is exactly the same as the logs that are being given now.

I really cant think of anything else other then a potentially faulty pandora which would be horrible, but then everything else works fine.

Next thing I could try, is to stick zdoom and some wads on a usb and compleetely remove the sd cards, I can run pnds from usb right?

thanks again

just an update.

Ive run the pnd and the wads off a usb with no sd cards inserted,

also whilst I was there I triple checked that the wads were fine.

@Trist06 - So did it work on the USB drive?, what you wrote wasn't so clear.. 

If not, are you up to date on OS updates and such? SZ 1.61 is the latest.

running PNDs off a USB drive should work as long as you have the PNDs in proper folder layout like on the SD cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry about that, 

the pnd would launch fine and I would be presented with the front end, but it would get stuck at the launching of the wad, just like before

Also

I just worked something else out now,

I launched the zdoom engin directly from the terminal whilst the pnd was still running and mounted, I specified one of the wads and bam, it worked.

soooooo, something is not working quite right when the front end is trying to invoke the zdoom engine.

Edit: just tried the gzdoom engine from terminal, also works

Could you share the debug output log ( /tmp/pndrun_zdoom.out ) when you run it without the command line?

So, I have added Zandrotum engine, with both renderer. I had to hack openal support, using openal branch from ZDoom, I'll publish the diff code later.

Also, I switched back to gstreamer from Firmware. It works well on MegaMan 8bit Death Match, but doesn't seems good on standard DooM II with ZDoom. I'll probably try to dig that later.

Build 10

----------

• Fixed enyo-doom autocreation of the engines.
Build 09

----------

• Added Zandronum engine (with both Software and GL renderer).
  • gstreamer is now used from firmware (you may need to update the Firmware to 1.62+ if music/sounds are missing).
  • Still an experimental version.

To have the zandronum engine on the pandora is quite an amazing achivement, now we have online multipler doom on pandora! I would love to see this amazing port on the pyra, since there are so many doom mods that could benefit from the extra hardware capabilities.

New build of the the ZDoom PND, centered around the new zandronum engine.

I have added Joystick support (backported from zdoom, as Joystick code was not there for Linux).

Plus, I worked on gstreamer to make sure all music plays (tested only of Firmware 1.62+)

Build 11

----------

• Fixed enyo-doom autocreation of the engines for good
  • Re-embeded gstreamer. Musics works now on all WADs I tested
  • Higher default mouse sensibility for zandronum (for nubs)
  • Added Joystick support for zandronum

Plus, I have done some "Wad PND", that use ZDoom (and zandronum engine) to launch. Tell me if you want more PND like that.

Plus, I have done some "Wad PND", that use ZDoom (and zandronum engine) to launch. Tell me if you want more PND like that.
Not sure it's a good idea to do WAD PNDs - that should be something that one does and selects in the enyo launcher, I think. If not we are going to flood the repo with WADs :)

If they don't get added to the repo maybe they can be distributed another way.  I will check out the first 2 this weekend.

If they don't get added to the repo maybe they can be distributed another way.  I will check out the first 2 this weekend.
I'd rather see a PND that downloads the WADs you want (a la Hackerbooks) rather than having hundreds of WADs in the repo. THe repo should not be made to store content, but applications. 

I'd rather see a PND that downloads the WADs you want (a la Hackerbooks) rather than having hundreds of WADs in the repo. THe repo should not be made to store content, but applications. 
True plus if everyone wants wads just check http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/,it's the best repository of Wad's and it's basically the steam workshop of Doom.

Yeah, but that requires effort.

Thanks for the link, I already found something I am interested in.

Fine, I wont flood the repo with WADs (I have other solution for that ;) )

I wanted to do only the one that are distributed like "exe" files. I had started Action Doom 2 too (as it is working on zandronum!), so not sure if I finish it or not ((it's just a single WAD, nothing really difficult to setup).

I think it's ok for big wads, total conversions and stuff like that.

For smaller wads like level packs, a downloader/installer would be nice, but that would require some work.

Fine, I wont flood the repo with WADs (I have other solution for that ;) )

I wanted to do only the one that are distributed like "exe" files. I had started Action Doom 2 too (as it is working on zandronum!), so not sure if I finish it or not ((it's just a single WAD, nothing really difficult to setup).
Yeah these kinds of WAD's are always welcome to the repo, in my opinion.

Im really interested in trying out EDGE on my Pandora, but it wont run for me. ZDoom and GZDoom run, but EDGE just shows me the output tab.

Does it work for everyone else?

Im really interested in trying out EDGE on my Pandora, but it wont run for me. ZDoom and GZDoom run, but EDGE just shows me the output tab.

Does it work for everyone else?
What build are you running?

Can you get the pndrun_zdoom.out log also, just in case (I'll make some tests on my side, not used EDGE much lately).

Back