Release ZDoom

Just tried this with Doom 1 & 2, runs like a dream.

Just configured a couple of the controls (L & R to strafe) and off I went.

Only thing I would like to do is remove the images from the menus as they make the text hard to read, are there any patches or wad editors that can allow me to do this?

@F-Slim: strange. The output shows it's starting. And then what, it just silently kills itslelf? I tried on a CC also to check and it worked, so I'm puzzled here. Looks like it does,'t like "system default". What is the content of the appdata/zdoom folder now?
It seems like it just switches to the "output"-tab, nothing pops up or anything ... content of the appdata folder is.wh..wh.plnk home/

and in home/

.Xauthority Cache/ Config/ Desktop/

... not sure what you're looking for, or how to get tree listing easily?

I tried with my (ultimate) doom.wad and doom2.wad ... maybe I try to re-download the .PND, but I would expect it to not load at all if it's broken?

Hum, I don't have the ".wh..wh.plnk", but, but maybe the pnd was still mounted?

Huh, maybe not, you would have much more file if it was the case. May be delete that file...

Hum, I don't have the ".wh..wh.plnk", but, but maybe the pnd was still mounted?

Huh, maybe not, you would have much more file if it was the case. May be delete that file...
these are left-overs from the union mounting. These could be removed once umounted ;)

Yes, I got a ".wh..wh.plnk" folder in all appdata folders I think ...

Am I really the only one with this problem? I tried Doom, Doom2, Strife, Heretic and Hexen. I even just gave some addon WADs as main WAD, still nothing.

Is it correct that I should not have to change anything, just give the main WAD and click on "run"?

Just in case, I tried to lower the RAM, I gave the full path to the zdoom executable (/mnt/utmp/zdoom/zdoom, also it looks like all the needed files are there ...), I even copied the .PND to my fat32 partition in case it doesn't like ext4 ...  still nothing :-/

Yes, I got a ".wh..wh.plnk" folder in all appdata folders I think ...

Am I really the only one with this problem? I tried Doom, Doom2, Strife, Heretic and Hexen. I even just gave some addon WADs as main WAD, still nothing.

Is it correct that I should not have to change anything, just give the main WAD and click on "run"?

Just in case, I tried to lower the RAM, I gave the full path to the zdoom executable (/mnt/utmp/zdoom/zdoom, also it looks like all the needed files are there ...), I even copied the .PND to my fat32 partition in case it doesn't like ext4 ...  still nothing :-/
I tried it with normal DooM II WAD, on a clean (i.e. with no dev tools) CC model, using latest OS, from the Minimenu (using a FAT32 formated SDCard) and it was working. That's the final test I do most of the time before pubilishing something.

I'm on a 1GHz unit with latest firmware. I haven't reflashed for quite a long time, so maybe I'll try that, but not for now. Nothing else is giving me problems though, also the WADs run fine with different ports (Cocoa-DOOM is my favorite).

I spent about 4 hours playing Doom 1 & 2 last night, so much that I ended up with a pain in my left hand like cramp :(

Is was totally worth it :)

Many thanks for this, I'd forgotten how addictive Doom is.

New build on the repo, and an entry for the Significant Update for the "Alive and Kicking coding competition 2013/2014.

I added Nub configuration and SDL driver choice to the launcher. So you can now use Dual Nub configuration like for modern fps. This config is "per game" so you can even duplicates the entry for "classic" and "modern" controls ;)

About Brutal Doom II, if you want to play it. I recommand to put 256Mo of memory, and use Joystick + Mouse (with Dual Nub) configuration, and set Mouse as FreeLook in the game config.

Also, saves where going in real /home. Sorry about that, it's fixed now (thanks to dimag0g for the heads up).

Build 02

----------

• Timidity now works
  • FluidSynth should works, but stay silent
  • Improved Launcher, with Pandora Specific Tab
  • Dual Nub is now usable (but use x11 sdl driver for that)
  • Saves are now in appdata like they should be

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone else having any sound issues with zdoom. The sound sometimes gets quite glitchy, and everytime I enter a secret area, the game will just hang for a couple of seconds and come up with an error (as shown in the screenshot below) before continuing. It does this with timidity and opl sound. Also tried allocating various amounts of ram, and tried various cpu settings, all to no avail. In fact, the only thing that stops this error is disabling the sound altogether. A quick way to show this error, is to go to the 1st secret room at the beginning of doom 1, where you find the shotgun. I'm using a CC Pandora.

Thanks.

zdoomerror_zpse0ff8215.png

Yes, I have this too (the decoder overflow error)

I've noticed it but always forgot to mention it. I don't why it does that (I'll try to debug it one day).

OK, thanks Seb, I don't need to keep fiddling with it then. Also, thanks for the new release.

Ooh, we can use the x11 driver now. Definitely slower with x11 of course, but it gives fully functional mouse control. Happy day! Thanks for the update.

Whatever you did for the last update also solved my problem! Doom now starts up as it should. :D

Too bad I just finished Doom and Doom II on the Pandora and had planned to play through ROTT next :p

Maybe I find a nice WAD to play ... actually I never used ZDoom, on the PC I always used jDoom. Probably I missed some very good, advanced WADs making full use of the ZDoom capabilities ...

Anyone tried this with the WolfenDooM WADs yet? How does it compare to Cocoa-doom?

if anyone knows of any interesting or unusual WADs for Pandora play please post here

I have added 2 the other post:

Harmony looks like an interesting TC. It runs as standalone in ZDoom.

Brutal Doom is an awsome (and bloody) addon for Doom / DooM II / Ultimate DooM. It runs with ZDoom, but you will need to configure the controls to use dual nub (joystick to move/straffe, mouse to aim with freelook), or you'll die after 30 seconds... Also, a Gigahertz will handle this one better than a CC.

@F_Slim: try Brutal DooM, it's worth a try (but beware, difficulty is very high). It's DooM as you know it (level-design wise) but it's not (monster are similar but different, AI different, some gameplay element changes) !

Back