Release Zaxxon Hotfix 6 - Beta 1 released!

oe.next (the next upcoming Pandora OS) will have XFCE 4.8 and is still in heavy development.

Progress is being made and while it still has some bugs (like shutdown doesn't work), with each week it grows more mature.
Woop! cant wait for this, do you think we will see oe.next before xmas?

I hope so!

Once Pandora production is setup (hopefully early October), I'll help finding bugs and solutions, etc.

The TV Out thingy sounds good (the rest too), even if I still wait for my oficial Cable. How can I imagine this functtions in general? Does a Video, shown on the TV also appears on the pandora Screen or can they be both display different stuff? How is Size and aspect ratio handled? Is this done in the TV out settings or in the Programms itself or do we have to set this on the TV (my LCD TV has various aspect rate settings)?

I hope so!

Once Pandora production is setup (hopefully early October), I'll help finding bugs and solutions, etc.
Nice. What can we expect (roughly) as major improvements of the new OS version, compared to the old branch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I'm not sure, but the startmenu always is a mess. I don't think you can design it to use your own categories like XFCE (i.e. Emulators as own category, etc.)

LXDE menu categories are editable, if You make it once in image, it will stays and will be correct for everyone just like in XFCE.

milkshake , you'll know the difference when you'll start using LXDE. It's much faster [more responsible], and has better UI , better apps [LXTerm / LXTaskMan / other] than XFCE.
Just to verify, you do mean more responsive, right?

Yes, yes :)

Last edited:
I'm sort of fvwm fanboy, fvwm is extremely configurable window manager, and I'm going to write a configuration file to work with Pandora. It has, in particular, very tweakable menus, each menu can be generated by one or more scripts, and context-aware hotkeys (i.e. same key combination fires up different commands if pressed when there is a window in focus or a root window aka bare desktop). It also has really small RAM footprint. I'm not sure I'll be able to build it for Angstrom quickly though.

There are a lot of window manager/DE options for unix (BSD/linux/etc), and everyone has favorites ... but we can't include them all :) Whats wrong with having some well liked defaults, and then you can swap in your personal picks? (otherwise, I'm putting sawfish in ;)

But yeah, lxde runs fast, but I find it not as pretty as xfce; not sure why :p

Too bad Enlightenment seems unstable still, last I checked a few months back :( (well, for the better part of the last oh 15 years really ;)

jeff

one thing I dislikle about XFCE is the desktop icons cant just be dragged around like a normal desktop, you have to do some touchscreen kung fu to move them around.

is this a bug in older version of XFCE or just how XFCE is in general?

OK Good news! THE PANDORA ARRIVED!!! :lol: :D :lol: The bad news. After installing the new Hotfix my Left nub doesn't want to movethe mouse cursor up very well. Very weak in fact. It worked great in HOTFIX5 and on a RISC OS EMU. Not so much now.

Do I have to reinstall minmenu? I chose dual gui mode and when I select minimenu it just reboots back to the gui select. BTW i had to load the HF twice to get it to work. Works great besides the the nub thing.

I will send pics of the first Pandora in Afghanistan soon. :blink:

Sounds 'fishy'. What does 'had to load HF twice to get it to work' mean?

Sounds like a bad flash, or bad SD causing the flash to be incomplete or something.

I'd do a good serious reformat of the SD (with Panasoniuc formatter or something), or try with another SD card.

jeff

The s-video and composite overlay don't display anything on my tv screen.

Just i have to use normal ones,which same as before.

How can i use overlay option to work on my tv.

Flashed the second time just fine. It seems the left nub is working fairly normal now. Still get the crazy crash to GUI select though when i try minimenu.

The s-video and composite overlay don't display anything on my tv screen.

Just i have to use normal ones,which same as before.

How can i use overlay option to work on my tv.

Overlay only displays games and emulators that use overlay.

You won't see the menu, desktop or anything else on the display.

Ed, you said the following about my OVR editor:

Wow, awesome Caine
biggrin.gif

That would be another great addition to the main OS
biggrin.gif
I never replied to it. If you really meant that, then feel free to add it.

Do you have a planned timeline for the release of Zaxxon 6?

I have some additions I still want to make to the nub configurator and I also would like to do a GUI for the TV-out settings, but it seems like time is running out.

Looks like I have a Pandora coding weekend ahead of me :)

By the way, I would like to add xkbset to the firmware as well, so we can handle easy L/R mouse button overrides. I'll probably add it to the nub configurator.

Yes ed i tried that and when i start picodrive and pcsx rearmed nothing appears on my pandora console,after the when i select my emulator nothing happens.

What was that comment early on, about Mame4all crashing .... without this hotfix, or with a specific setting of tv-out enabled, or which?

jeff

Noticed that too! Seems like it's something like xdotool relying on sending mouse events... A sort of solution here would be enabling right-click application menu and setting 1 px margin on whatever screen side you want, it's much easier to access apps menu this way.

hi are you taking about taskbar when you say reduce margin to 1px? cause i can only reduce task bar to 16px?

Back