Release Zaxxon Hotfix 6 - Beta 1 released!

Discussion in 'Software Releases' started by EvilDragon, Sep 15, 2011.

1. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

As the last alpha proved to be pretty stable, here is the first Beta version of the upcoming Hotfix 6!

notaz tweaked the charging settings a bit more so charging should work really good now.

He also worked on the TV Out settings - it's now possible to switch between Composite and SVideo as well AND it's possible to use the TV Out with programs and games that use the overlay (i.e. MAME4ALL, PicoDrive, PcsxReARMed, etc.)

So basically, you should now be able to use EVERY app with your TV Out cable now.

The TV-Out enable-script is a pretty simple one right now, though it will be improved for the final release.

It would be great if you guys could help testing if it breaks anything or if it works fine so far!

The changes from HF5 Final to HF6b1 are:

* XFCE4 got a cleaned up menu as well as a more useful panel bar (I hope [​IMG]) including Toggle WiFi as well as a quick CPU Speed changer

* Included dosfstools and curl

* TV Out: Added Composite / SVideo switch, made overlay programs work as well

* New feature: Lid-Settings

* Pandora-Button for XFCE4-Menu now works better

* Tempels PNDStore is built-in

* Caines new Nub-Settings are built-in

* midori and Arora have been completely removed - please use the PND version. Instead, links2 has been included as quick and fast browser and is now being used for viewing documentation.

* NetworkManager has been upgraded to a slightly newer version. netm-cli (the command line version) is included in the OS. This will be used by MiniMenu to connect to the internet (not included yet).

* A new default GUI selection has been included: "GUISelect". If you select this as default GUI, you'll be asked while booting whether you rather want to boot into MiniMenu or XFCE4

* kernel: WizardStan's optimized charger settings have been included. This should improve charging and increase the life of your battery. notaz made them configurable and tweaked them even more.

Thanks of course to all the devs (mainly notaz, sebt3, WizardStan, Ivanovic, tempel, Caine, Milkshake and skeezix) for the help so far [​IMG]

Please, report any bugs you may encouter on the Bugtracker!

Here's the download: Zaxxon Hotfix 6 Beta 1 Flash

As this is a full flash, it will delete all your personal settings and files that are stored on the NAND! Be sure you don't have anything important there!

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.

Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"

If "Boot from SD1" doesn't appear, try to reformat the SD Card using Panasonic SD Formatter, recopy the files and retry.

You can also use the SD Installer and run HF6b1 off SD Card.

Grab the image needed for the SD Installer here

Don't forget to grab the latest kernel as well in this case.

Enjoy [​IMG]

Tags:
  2. alerino

alerino Well-Known Member

3. Mr Rob

Mr Rob Active Member

Betas are tasty.

Well done.

4. lordbobjones

lordbobjones Member

Woot. Downloading and will report back!

5. alerino

alerino Well-Known Member

:D YAY!!! Picodrive, PcSX-ReARMed, Panplayer, Ginge and Gpfce-gp2x work like a champ now! (on tv out overlay mode - it only outputs the game itself on pico and pcsx, not menu or desktop)

Misteriously Mame4all crashes (menu appears now, though starting a game quits to desktop

Pandora reaches an upper level to perfection. MAME will be the cherry on top.

Just like LCD settings, it would be nice to have a few tv output custom settings (gamma etc)

Awesome!

6. budweiser

budweiser GP32 Hardcore

excellent news,will give this a try :)

7. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Member

Great! Will test later.

8. peelie

peelie Member

great look forward to testing tvout when i get my cable from peca :)

still annoying thing for me is that the pandora button does not work if taskbar is set to autohide!

9. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Member

Noticed that too! Seems like it's something like xdotool relying on sending mouse events... A sort of solution here would be enabling right-click application menu and setting 1 px margin on whatever screen side you want, it's much easier to access apps menu this way.

10. StreaK

StreaK Guest

Hey ED, why cant we switch to LXDE, which is much faster, and small-RAM-friendly than XFCE. It works like charm on my Pandora.

11. milkshake

milkshake Advanced Member

@streak whats the difference? or is it pretty much the same?

12. juliano

juliano Member

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet. Thanks for this.

13. StreaK

StreaK Guest

milkshake , you'll know the difference when you'll start using LXDE. It's much faster [more responsible], and has better UI , better apps [LXTerm / LXTaskMan / other] than XFCE.

14. gruso

gruso thunderbox

LXDE is certainly snappy, but I've never found it very nice to look at. I'd rather have XFCE 4.8 - performance be damned! :)

Thanks for this ED, will give it a run on the weekend.

15. bzar

bzar A Commando

Just to verify, you do mean more responsive, right?

I'd love to try out LXDE on my pandora as an extend image. Also stripped-down KDE with the latest kwin (OpenGL ES2 support, major optimizations in the cutting edge versions).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  16. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Member

AFAIR, PCmanfm does not support 'custom actions', it's a pretty neat Thunar feature, XFCE in general looks more 'solid' to me and maybe is more comfortable for Windows/Mac people to work with.

One piece of LXDE-related software I use is lxappearance, the rest of 'DE' is some GTK and CLI apps and it's pretty fast, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  17. foxblock

foxblock Asleep

Well you actually can: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58571-revisiting-lxde/

The linked guide is rather old, but it should still work (of course it's kinda hacky, though)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016
  18. Blue Protoman

Blue Protoman Well-Known Member

19. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

The version of LXDE of the ancient OE tree we are currently using doesn't work properly, that's why we have XFCE.

Also, I'm not sure, but the startmenu always is a mess. I don't think you can design it to use your own categories like XFCE (i.e. Emulators as own category, etc.)

oe.next (the next upcoming Pandora OS) will have XFCE 4.8 and is still in heavy development.

Progress is being made and while it still has some bugs (like shutdown doesn't work), with each week it grows more mature.

20. QazzaQY2K

QazzaQY2K Still Fresh

Woohoo Trying it out now.. Hmm.. where's that Tv-Out-Cable I orderd 3 years ago??

Have they been shiped yet?