Release Hotfix 6 Final released!

DaMummy

Soldier Paste
keep us posted, and a full guide on the procedure if you get good results.

and i see that my touchpad autocorrect called you a KazahkStan instead of WizardStand.... :|

moxie

The voice of reason, sense and exasperation
Staff member
I think I've got it figured out. (...lotsa interesting techy stuff...)

My current theory is that the smart charging, with it cycling up and down around 95% to keep the battery from overheating, is slowly causing the bq chip to think there's less and less capacity even though it isn't true. It needs a good deep cycle every once in a while to remind it what an empty battery looks like. I'm going to ping this idea off the TI tech as soon as I confirm my battery is cycling properly again.

Heroic! This, me friends, is the power of open systems! Not to mention excellent experimenters. Colour me impressed.

zapman

Wouldn't it make sense to put the Hotfix into the pnd-store system? I got note of the final HF6 version just now, I guess I got lazy scanning through the forums for news. Pandora press only mentioned the RC but not the final vesion.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Ideally, with the next big OS, updates happen directly on the Pandora using a package manager... but okay, I can also try to upload any update PNDs to the PND-Store.

However, these updates can cause issues, which is a bit of a problem.

A full flash usually is better, but doesn't work with the repo :)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
So does this mean the current HF6 charging algoritm is bugy and hurts the Battery? Damn. :(

Nope, it's not hurting the battery, it will just temporarily decrease your battery life until the new charging algorithm is implemented.

Only pre-HF6 charging hurts the battery when you constantly keep charging it.

Linux-SWAT

Hardcore Member
To fully charge and leave it at 100% for the expected hour, in the /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap file change [battery_charge] enable from 1 to 0.
Does not work for me, modified, rebooted : still stopping charge around 95%.

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
A full cycle from full back to empty and it shut down at just below 20%. Don't know exactly what since I wasn't paying attention. I'm going to leave it off for another 5 hours and try again.

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
Don't know what to tell you, I'm pretty sure that should have worked. Try setting "stop_current" to 0 perhaps?

peelie

fyi setting battery charge enable from 1 to 0 working for me; i.e battery charging to 100percent

Last edited by a moderator:

FRZ

Website
Visit site
I think the battery depletes too fast for me. For example today. I unplugged the OP 7 hours ago and only open mousepad to quickly edit a document for two minutes and then put in low power mode, wifi off, lid close and all. Now the it reads 44% battery. That's way too much battery wasted for 7 seven hours with such limiteded used.

FRZ

Website
Visit site
^ In the case of such issues with PNDs, you should try removing the appdata entry for the ones that you're having problems with (remember to back up preferences or files you want to keep that are in the appdata directories, though!). Some others have reported the same with Hotfix 6, and have said that this fixed it for them.

If that fails, checking for an updated PND is the next step to take. :p
Sacre blue, it work. Deleted appdata for keepnote and now its running again. Thanks.

Prometheus

Glad to be of assistance. :) That's always the first stop if a PND misbehaves!

dreamer

I think I've got it figured out. On advice from TI, I did a complete cycle to recalibrate. A complete cycle apparently requires a full charge, sit at 100% for 2 hours, then a full discharge below 3.0 volts and left for 5 hours. It was the "leave it empty for 5 hours" part I didn't know about. It's taken me the better part of the weekend to get to this point, but preliminary results are very favourable. I'm going to try one more full cycle to 100% and back down and see if it approaches zero this time. The TI tech suggested it may take a few complete cycles for it to really learn where zero is, but if it even comes close this time I'll be happy.
I'm not sure how to get the battery fully discharged. I disabled the 'turn off device' from the battery monitor and left it on 'low-power mode' for about a day now, but it seems to stick around 4%

I can still boot up the system, then get a warning it's below 5%.

Should I just keep it up for another few hours and then fully charge the device again for another round?

milkshake

Advanced Member
well if worst comes to worst you could install the original firmware (maybe on an sd card) just to charge your batter?