Yet another concept for the new Pyra

Here is that animation i was talking about earlier.

Not sure if that helps anyone at all ... but since I made it ... here it is now :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuO6DXJ5Jao

just a thought: have you tried concepts where the hinge does not protrude above the main body, but is sunken into the body such that its rotation axis lies (slightly) below the plane of the

keypad? also maybe change the hinge arrangement, fixing the middle part on the mainbody and the outside hinge parts on the screen? (hopefully this makes sense ;) )
Yeah that are some interesting ideas ^^

I have lowered the rotation axis of the hinge already about 2 mm until the its outer diameter hits the upper surface/plane of the upper lid in a tangential way.

(Lowering it more wont have any impact on the devices height at all since thats defined by the screen, keymat, nubs, dpad, pcb, battery, etc... too)

I havent played that last part you have mentioned up there through in detail yet. =)

But I had that one on my mind at least once as well at the beginning.

Somehow I sticked with the current version. =P

Maybe I m going to look into this again afterwards. Thx. =)

Wow!  Awesome animation!  Welcome to official team of Pyrates of the European! :D

Get your resume ready, expect a call from Captain of the Pyrate Ship, EvilDragon :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The storage of the Battery is a good solution, I had basicly the same idea to improve this part of the old Pandora where the battery and its contacts where only held in place by the not so trustworthy back cover.

Your Hinge Idea also looks durable, i hope there will be a complete metal encased hinge mechanism in P2 so this part of the device becomes really durable. My Pandora hinge is pretty loose when opened 180°, feels not that good. Easy removable LCD is also a good point, I would like to see the same for components like the Nubs, there were ideas about socketable nubs for Pandora 1, but never realized.

By the way, Pandora 2 doesn't need a camera, I never understood why Handhelds should need a camera. This only adds costs that I would rather invest into a decent backlit keyboard. ^^

P.S.: Stylus also should be bigger this time. And the old idea to include an screwdriver would fit perfectly in your concept. ;)

The storage of the Battery is a good solution, I had basicly the same idea to improve this part of the old Pandora where the battery and its contacts where only held in place by the not so trustworthy back cover.

Your Hinge Idea also looks durable, i hope there will be a complete metal encased hinge mechanism in P2 so this part of the device becomes really durable. My Pandora hinge is pretty loose when opened 180°, feels not that good. Easy removable LCD is also a good point, I would like to see the same for components like the Nubs, there were ideas about socketable nubs for Pandora 1, but never realized.

By the way, Pandora 2 doesn't need a camera, I never understood why Handhelds should need a camera. This only adds costs that I would rather invest into a decent backlit keyboard. ^^

P.S.: Stylus also should be bigger this time. And the old idea to include an screwdriver would fit perfectly in your concept. ;)
I ve exactly the same problem with my Pandora and its hinge as well ^^

It doesnt feel right anymore and there is a lot of tolerance inside the hinge now.

So the Lid always feels a bit lost. *lol*

About the camera shown in the current concept... in my opinion I do need one neither.

(If someone really needs a camera then there are plenty USB Cameras around on the market)

But that option is removed by 5-6 mouseclicks again =D

So thats no big deal. ^^

That backlit keyboard is really a good point you ve got there.

That s something that really would come in handy.

I often catch myself as well in the darkness with no clue what I am hitting at the moment.

Makes it hard to type long messages while the lid is opened about 180 degrees and dark places.

I ve added 10 mm more to the stylus now since you ve mentioned that.

We got a lot of space there left. ^^

Wondering where that screwdriver could go .....

Ah btw. I have added self cutting threaded bush(es?) for the battery case cover at the moment as well so they wont wear off that easily.

I'm pretty sure the costs for those 2 things differ enough that they can't really be considered a tradeoff.

-God Ginrai

Carrying a USB camera would kind of go against Pyra portability. If you could somehow fit the cameras in the middle.

Also, do we really need screws for a side battery? A regular battery cover isn't enough?

A lot of people disliked the nature of the current battery cover. However, I see more wrong w/ a side battery cover. If the battery expands, you'll have a hard time getting it out like that. If we just had a cover like the current one but screwed it in (or maybe did something like that locking battery mechanism on laptops) then it would be much easier to remove, and would be less likely to exhibit the same problems the current cover does.

-God Ginrai

I mentioned both because I believe both options are worthy of consideration. They both have their pros and cons.

-God Ginrai

An alternative to a screw-in or laptop-style slide lock mechanism may be a full sliding cover.

An alternative to a screw-in or laptop-style slide lock mechanism may be a full sliding cover.
Oh yea. Someone mentioned that during the development of the Pandora. I totally forgot about it. That's probably the most inexpensive option of the three.

-God Ginrai

Listening to all this made me think again... ^^

Maybe this here works for you three rather than the screwed one =)

Since the Battery itself is quite a "heavy" part of the device I m not really afraid of getting it out of there.

At least thats what I think.

Here we go :

sz0i.png

EDIT :

Screwing this thingy together isnt going to be easy at all cO

Having/Had some hard time on those R1/R2 and L1/L2 shoulder button positions =S

lsqd.png

Since the Battery itself is quite a "heavy" part of the device I m not really afraid of getting it out of there.
You've obviously never had your battery expand. Something can only slide out if it isn't stuck.
-God Ginrai

I don't think we have to design for expanding batteries. Batteries shouldn't expand. If they do, there's a problem. If there's a problem, you may have to dismantle the entire unit in order to fix it. I see no reason to make it particularly easy to remove expanded batteries, as if that is something you need to do on a daily basis.

I don't think we have to design for expanding batteries. Batteries shouldn't expand. If they do, there's a problem. If there's a problem, you may have to dismantle the entire unit in order to fix it. I see no reason to make it particularly easy to remove expanded batteries, as if that is something you need to do on a daily basis.
If Ed sticks to the plan about using Pandoras batteries, this could indeed be a problem. I'll have to "massage" my battery once in a while, otherwise the battery starts pressing against the battery cover a little.

Ooolala... never had that issue yet cO

But good to know about that.

Is that battery you are talking about being an quite old one ?

I usually switch my batteries once in a while.

I'm still using the one that came with my Pandora (can't remember anymore when I got it, probably three years ago). The first thing I noticed was that I could not close the battery compartment without stressing the lid. Ed gave me the advice to "massage" it back then, and I'm doing it ever since. But that isn't something I do (or even notice) very often, maybe every half a year or so. But thats why I would have liked a new battery design with a caseing like the ones in cellphones

I'm still using the one that came with my Pandora (can't remember anymore when I got it, probably three years ago). The first thing I noticed was that I could not close the battery compartment without stressing the lid. Ed gave me the advice to "massage" it back then, and I'm doing it ever since. But that isn't something I do (or even notice) very often, maybe every half a year or so. But thats why I would have liked a new battery design with a caseing like the ones in cellphones
Isn't this an issue that has been fixed now? If you just get a new battery it should be fine.

I still don't think we should design for expanding/puffed up batteries. If we want things to be easy with an expanded battery, that means we need enough wiggle room to make a normal battery wiggle.

Back