Yet another concept for the new Pyra

The LEDs still need to align with holes in the case - and the pandora (which doesn't employ the worlds best case design) doesn't seem to have any problems with light pipes that I've noticed.

@comradekingu, how much do you know about this kind of stuff? I don't know much, but intuitively it seems as it's easier to fit a light pipe very exactly and then having the led somewhere more or less under it than having a small part on a PCD which needs to fit in a hole exactly, which may easily break off if it's placed wrongly and which on top of this would look bad.

O well... here we go again ...

I have played through several things you all have mentioned before...

not all of course but some points got completely reworked again.

I ended up with this one below at the moment.

(My goodness that one looks almost like the usual Pandora cO)

As usual this is just another concept art ...

Pls dont take it too serious again .. at least its something to grab on ^^

But your opinion on this one is of course appreciated

(There is always room for improvement ^^)

Its outside dimensions would be :

Width : 160 mm = 6,29 inch

Depth : 90 mm = 3,54 inch

Height : 26 mm = 1.02 inch

(If those dimensions are meant to be realistic ... thats definitely another question.)

Used that common 5 inch 16:9 screen and its outside dimensions.

I have squeezed the whole lid compared to the last one.

Speakers went up into the lid again. ^^

That clamping device/unit is still there as well.

The battery still slides in sideways.

The R1/R2 and L1/L2 on the backside have a different alignment now.

The audio jack and all the other stuff found its way onto the backside now.

Just have a look :

1pt9.png

uj83.png

47ap.png

cskw.png

EDIT : I know someone is going to mention the camera again ... ^^ . This is just something I ve grabbed somewhere in another post.

Like I have said its a summarization of things I found lately on the forum, combined with ideas of mine as well.

With the current concept you can remove that camera in about 2-3 min without unmounting the lid at all ...

since you just have to lift off the covering from behind while the device is closed. .. you can put in an optional flashlight if that feels better for you =P

EDIT 2 : Ah just btw .. that Keyboard layout is just provisional .. dont have a clue whats the current favorite one on the boards ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
With light pipes there is some risk involved and manual labour in fitting it together, for the benefit of being able to see the leds with the case closed.

I like the L/R buttons now. Having said that the force is bottoming on the actual solder pads/joints, but maybe it could double with the case screw holding things together.

Why are lightpipes the devil all of a sudden?

I WANT them in a successor as without them, the light will not be diffused and will burn a hole in your retina everytime you look at the screen. Also, the current design works well.

Now it looks like a jumbo pandora. I would like to have the lid look like it's all screen, with minimal bezel and no speakers.

yup it looks like a PandoraXL now =D

But we have to die at least one death here...

if iths not the depth that looks too big/weird

then its the width with this one now.

but according to the poll about the unofficial pyra dimensions

this one fits better than the first shown on page 1.

i have to admit just throwing all those keys without any sense onto the surface

makes it looking a bit big too somehow...

I like the size of the "PandoraXL", but the speakers shouldn't take up space of the lid. We could have a larger screen if this size is acceptable. 

Hummmmm.... could you pls be a bit more specific with that ?

brand, model-no., aspect ratio, outside dimensions, maybe some technical drawings available ?

ty

I know it sounds crazy, but is it possble to put the speakers on the sides of the lid?

These are great!  Sir, you should be our case designer.  ED - get the guy some real specs for screen and minimal bezels?  Please?

It's getting better.  How about:

Nix the camera - just ditch it all together.

Move the speakers down to the base just above the top of the game pads.

Run straight cables through a slot - hyper minimize the hinge.  All it needs to be is a pair of piano hinges with a knurled knob for tension on one.

Make the keys 2/3 depth (front to back) to allow for 3 rows down one up like this:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15275-unofficial-pyra-keyboard-layoutrevised-jan-1-2014/?p=302664

Overall dimensions dictated by the screen size + minimal bezels needed to cover screen boards.

What does that do to it?

On the camera thing...

We need the LCD & bezel specs. LCDs tend to require thicker bezels on the short ends (left right for us). However, they're also seldom symmetrical. I think we'd want the bezel left/right to be symmetrical on the Pandora - so IF the LCD has a wider bezel on one side, then there may be room in the lid for a camera on the other. There may even be room for 'other' stuff in the lid on the side of the screen with the 'short' bezel requirements. Think lid top back IR blaster, camera or flashlight LED.

So - I think we're at the point where we need ED to come forward with just a tiny bit of info...

Hey Evil Dragon! What are the real dimensions of the selected screen and it's required bezzels?

If there's 3cm available on either side, that solves the UMTS/GSM/GPS placement issue.

Although 3cm is quite a lot, I don't think it'll work actually.

If there's 3cm available on either side, that solves the UMTS/GSM/GPS placement issue.

Although 3cm is quite a lot, I don't think it'll work actually.
Screen symmetry - you might be looking at 12mm bezel on one side and 3mm on the other maybe leaving 9mm of 'out of symmetry' room.

Don't give up hope though. Your UMTS/GSM/GPS part might be thin enough to tack onto a slim board between the screen and the lid - which would be a logical place for it since it will also need an antenna (or have one built into the chip?).

Please make the shoulder buttons go around the edges.

It is possible.

No one knows it better than me ;) .

Smaller keys.

Bigger screen.

Speakers to the keyboard.

No. That was a design flaw in the Pandora. It was a constant point of mechanical failure. The slightest bump on a back corner and the things would jam.

Those back corners are the -highest- likelihood place for the case to sustain impact.

He has it right now with real buttons on the back NOT going around the corners.

This is nearly perfect for the shoulder buttons.  I would have them stick out the back about 1/3 as much as shown in the image or make them flush to the outer case in a slight indent though.

cskw.png

No. That was a design flaw in the Pandora. It was a constant point of mechanical failure. The slightest bump on a back corner and the things would jam.

Those back corners are the -highest- likelihood place for the case to sustain impact.

He has it right now with real buttons on the back NOT going around the corners.

This is nearly perfect for the shoulder buttons.  I would have them stick out the back about 1/3 as much as shown in the image or make them flush to the outer case in a slight indent though.

cskw.png
Properly made the shoulder buttons won't get damaged easily.

Also I wouldn't sacrifice the shoulder buttons around the edges because of some people damaging their Pandora.

Back