Design discussion

Another important point (at least for me) would be durability of the Case. No more cracks or cold sensitive Cases!

I found some nice Inspiration on Kickstarter, a protective Case for the iPhone. Well, I don't even have an iPhone but I'm impressed of this professional build quality and protection level. Imagine something like that but as the actual Pandora 2 Case. :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104350651/taktik-premium-protection-system-for-the-iphone

I really like the Design, it already looks solid and durable, perfect for an Homebrew Handheld too, imho. ^^

that is so cool! I'd pay a lot for a Pandora casing like that! No wonder the Pandora is getting more and more expensive.

Comes in various colours too! :D

rzZMa.png

These curved mockups remind me of the panasonic jungle which is thankfully dead. Please don't bring that shape back.

Cooooooool~ It's so thin too! By the way, the controls, keys, etc won't damage the screen, right? How much space will there be in between when closed?

If the screen is Gorilla glass or similar - it would be much harder than the keys - so they keys should not be able to scratch it.

The same lid switch that turns the monitor off when the lid closes could also turn off the keyboard.

Have the screen actually depress the keys 75% when the unit closes to make it more thin when closed.

The keys become a built in multi-point pressure distribution system to help protect the screen if the unit is compressed.

Virtual nubs: Use circular pressure sensitive track pads with an almost imperceptible raised cross hair in it. Track finger position on the circle just like you would nub position. I'm not sold on this one - the mechanical nature of nubs just 'feels right'.

The Keyboard should be some more uniform surface, no gaps in between like on Pandora 1. This made the Case pretty complex and we know how this had ended. One big hole for the Keyboard and close to close keys are the more effective solution imho. With the right shape of the keys, the denser spacing shouldn't be a problem. :)

The curved design looks good, it should greatly improve the L+R trigger comfort and as long as there are no sharp lines and edges around, it should be more smooth feeling when holding the device. Here, I have marked the sharp areas of Pandora 1 that really hurt my palms over time, not very comfortable these edges. Should be more rounded from top to sides.

fronthurt17ksj.jpg

Cooooooool~ It's so thin too! By the way, the controls, keys, etc won't damage the screen, right? How much space will there be in between when closed?
I didn't give the top half a lip around the edge yet, but that could probably be added.

but the hinge needs to be changed, theres no way to get any ports on the back

Back