Xgp/xgp Mini News

That screen does not even look close to 320x240. Though the display may have lower quality, the price and design are the real selling points IMO.

I'm sorry, I like the size and shape of the XGPmini but they missed their chance to get my money, I already bought a GP2x for 180 then I imported a Black DS for another 180 bucks and now Nintendo wants more money from me which they'll probably get for the DS lite which has a much better design. 150 might be a smaller price but even now that I HAVE a job I can't see myself giving a damn.

Plus with the "XGPmaxi" they're going to end up spliting the already somewhat fractured dev community even more. They are commiting scene-homicide.

Forget them.

I honestly don't see a reason to buy either. Let's just stick with the 2x. If they released these guys before the 2x, maybe that would've been the best. I have a feeling they'll be a little more professional in their presentation, and less buggy. But now that we've done so much for the 2x, let's just see it through.

It's all about aesthetics. I would surely want a GP2X right now, but the XGPmini is just so tempting because of its size/design and that there would be tons of games available for it already.

i dont get the big deal...its just like the NDS and the gbm (game boy mini) i have both and thier great...to me it sounds cool no, but with nintendo having both things (pretty much) i dont see how they can survive (i say they should stick to open source handhelds if you ask me)

Well this has certainly changed my mind a little actually, I'm going to hold off buying a 2x until this thing comes out. I love the "Maxi" design. It leaves the original design for poo.

I still don't see the obsession with small screened handhelds. It is like "OMFG they are releasing a system with a 2" screen I have to have one!!!" WTF? Maybe GPH should out do them by releasing a GP2X mini with a 1" screen. Pretty soon the competition will get heated and someone will release one with a .25" screen and take the market :rolleyes:

XGP Mini will come in

White, Black and Red.

The XGP is basically a smaller, sleeker gp32, and thats a good thing! All the homebrew already devaloped is available when this thing is released.

So you can play genny at full speed right out of the box.

I'm betting the mini has a longer bat life. I hope it is around 10 hour.

If the mini has good bat life, excellent homebrew, perfect compatability with the gp32 then this will most certainly replace my Nano. Which IMO is very overated.

I cant wait to see more screens of the mini and the XGP.

benny32 posted on Mar 2 2006 at 10:56 PM said:
XGP Mini will come in

White, Black and Red.

The XGP is basically a smaller, sleeker gp32, and thats a good thing! All the homebrew already devaloped is available when this thing is released.

If the mini has good bat life, excellent homebrew, perfect compatability with the gp32 then this will most certainly replace my Nano. Which IMO is very overated.

How do you know GP32 homebrew will be compatible?

... I'm done talking about the XGP, it's just making me exasperated... When I see something like 100% homebrew support, then I will actually care.

Last edited by a moderator:
benny32 posted on Mar 3 2006 at 05:56 AM said:
XGP Mini will come in

White, Black and Red.

It could be only that if the mini used exactly the same chipset as GP32. I think it's not so but at other hand the GP32 doesn't have too much of it, does it?

benny32 posted on Mar 3 2006 at 05:56 AM said:

The important thing is the resolution of its screen. If it isn't at 320x240 the it will have to resorts to scaling. Thought filtered scaling might look acceptable it's not as good as native resolution obviously. And I doubt it will have something better than a bilinear filtering (a bicubic would be very preferable). However with so small screen size it might not matter for many people much as with 2.2 things will be already somewhat harder to see with accuracy.

Radek posted on Mar 3 2006 at 04:31 AM said:
The important thing is the resolution of its screen. If it isn't at 320x240 the it will have to resorts to scaling. Thought filtered scaling might look acceptable it's not as good as native resolution obviously. And I doubt it will have something better than a bilinear filtering (a bicubic would be very preferable). However with so small screen size it might not matter for many people much as with 2.2 things will be already somewhat harder to see with accuracy.

The XGP is 480 x 272 like the PSP. The screen is slightly smaller at 4" vs 4.3" So emulators will be stretched and distorted.

I wonder why so many are so eager to abandon the GP2X already for this?

iignotus posted on Mar 3 2006 at 04:50 AM said:
DaveC posted on Mar 2 2006 at 11:34 PM said:
I wonder why everyone is so eager to abandon the GP2X already for this?
I didn't know we all were :D

Ok, edited ;)

Gp2x isnt portable enough. It also has proven to be dissapointing in fairly easily emulatable systems. NES for example.

The XGP mini will be a leet gp32 with quality emulators.

First post in this thread confirms that the XGP mini and XGP will have homebrew. The press release states that gp32 programs will be compatable with XGP mini.

As for small screen...... its called a portable. Sorry, but the gp2x is not portable. When you whip the xgp mini out of your pocket and play a couple levels of sonic it wont really matter how big the screen is or how distorted the image looks.

I'm sure even with distortion the screen will be fine. Perfect for a pick up and play for 2 sec system.

Any bigger and the unit has to be transported with a carrying bag which is a pain in the arse. :angry:

Besides, I would rather have a smaller screen with distortion than a brick with constant flicker. :lol:

Also the dpad owns that craptastic stick on the gp2x.

Gamepark should have held off on the announcement though. I can already see people becoming hesitant to jump into the GP2x. Hopefully the gp2x wont have its dev slow down.

People that buy the XGP Min or reg are different from GP2x buyers.

Would a sony fanboy buy a Nintendo ds? I dont think so.

XGP series appeals more to the mainstream rather than hardcore.

If I had unlimited money I would get them all.

But I need maximum portability.

I bet more people would jump on the GP2x wagon if Gph released a second edition with improved bat life, better screen, uber stick .etc

The XGP (not mini) is confirmed to have lithium Ion batteries. That alone sounds wonderful.

The XGP mini will prob just have AA batteries or even AAA batteries. The mini will probably have the best bat life out of them all.

In the end, I see gp2x devalopment for a long time to come. GP32 still has dev projects lol.

benny32 posted on Mar 3 2006 at 04:54 AM said:
As for small screen...... its called a portable. Sorry, but the gp2x is not portable. When you whip the xgp mini out of your pocket and play a couple levels of sonic it wont really matter how big the screen is or how distorted the image looks.

This is a joke right? What good is a system if you have a hard time seeing it and it is distorted, that makes no sense?

Any bigger and the unit has to be transported with a carrying bag which is a pain in the arse. :angry:

The XGP will be bigger than the GP2X because of the aspect ratio.

Besides, I would rather have a smaller screen with distortion than a brick with constant flicker. :lol:

I don't get flicker.

Gamepark should have held off on the announcement though. I can already see people becoming hesitant to jump into the GP2x. Hopefully the gp2x wont have its dev slow down.

Different company. Gamepark Holdings and Gamepark are entirely separate.

Everything you said I already knew.

The small screen debate is really stupid. Your not going to need a perfect screen when you are traveling. People play games on their cell phone all the time. Also I have a GbA micro and it is more than adequate for gaming.

I travel constantly and I can tell you that the gp2x with its low bat life, and very fragile build is not ideal for on the go gaming.

If I am going to buy a portable, it has to be portable... otherwise I might as well play the games on my Xbox

I think this GP2X vs. XGPMini is like getting either a Nintendo DS or Gameboy Micro. The DS can play games of the GBA plus newer generation games, which would make it ideal for some. The GBM can play games of a past generation, but its design makes it the reason why some would get it.

Back to XGPMini, portability is the huge factor here. I mean, it being able to play MP3's is pretty nice, since it would be the size of a regular MP3 player, but with more.

Back