Release Xash3D - Half Life

I've just had a strange problem where after the initial train ride, after the map load when Barney is supposed to come open the door, he would just stand idle and do nothing, so it was impossible to progress. Then I've reinstalled the game on PC (steam+Linux version) and recopied the files, then it was fine. Strange.
Yeah, that's odd. I think it maybe some sort of copy protection of the steam version where you have to play a bit on Steam to unlock the datas. But that's just my theory...

Not able to bring up the console too - one of fun elements of quake games and HL (not really for cheating, I would usually bind keys and set mouse sensitivity this way).

Tried binding in .cfg, passing -console -toconsole to ./xash3d - doesn't help.
I have to take a look in the code for that console, I'll fix as soon as I can. Not sure it's even coded in XashXT, or it may be more or less locked down (like RtCW?).

I also think togglecrouch should default to "0", otherwise the game is impossible to complete (crouch jump). But when I changed it manually, jump stopped working at all. Change back to "1" - jump works again. Weird.
I can't beleive I have broken Jump if toggle crouch is disabled! And I will test the Hazard course to be sure toggle crouch doesn't break things, and if it does, I'll try to adjust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could crouch jump be another weird Steam version issue? I'm using a CD version of the game (patched of course) and crouch jump works fine - I've gotten to On A Rail without any issues barring a couple crashes when loading save data after death (likely due to my overclock) and some rare engine-related weirdness .

Half Life and single player half life mods playing on my pandora. This is truly awesome.

I spent about 3 years of my gaming time playing through every single player half life mod I could find.

I just tried Edge of Darkness - a very slick but quite short mod - it plays fine. I recommend having a look at the hall of fame at "run shoot think live" as there are some truly amazing mods you can play.  http://www.runthinkshootlive.com/hof/

From the xash3d wiki troubleshooting section:

The console won't open

Make sure the gameinfo.txt file in the valve folder or your mod's folder does not have the following setting:«secure» «1»

If this line is present, delete it. To enable the console, start Xash3D with the -dev or -console parameter.
maybe it helps...

edit: i fiddled a bit more with gunman chronicles, but I think I it won't work because of requiring it's own game dll :(

too bad, I loved this mod! maybe there is another way to get it working, but I am out of ideas.

I get this error when launching Xash3D : Couldn't find game directory 'valve'

I only get this error if the valve folder is at the right spot.

I took the valve folder from the steam linux version of half-life, I played the linux version at least up to the point where you drop a diagonal lift shaft into water down below.

Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks! Also, this is awesome!

FG

[EDIT] Nevermind, I changed file permissions and it worked! AWESOME! Thanks a lot!

a couple crashes when loading save data after death
I have got several of those too. And not related to overclocking.  
Ah, I didn't play (and died ;) ) enough it seems. That will be tricky to debug if it's random...
Well I am undeniably pretty awful at Half-Life, haha. I noticed that it seems to happen most when pressing a button to reload immediately after death - in my experience, giving it a second or two usually will prevent it. Also seems most common if you die in the middle of a more intense moment (noticed it most when I'm up against some marines), but this could just be by proxy of me dying more at these parts.

Hi all :)

Sorry to bother you with this, but I can't get the Uplink demo to run... I removed the gameinfo.txt file from "valve" directory, but to no avail. I still get the following error:

StartGame(1.000000)
Host_NewGame("newmap", FALSE)
Map is not valid!

What am I doing wrong ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

it's the same error I get with gunman chronicles. maybe it's trying to load the wrong game library?

Also, last time I tried, the links to the demo files on gamefront were broken. I managed to grab a copy of "Uplink" on some other site, but "Day One" seems to have vanished from Internet...

I'd like to buy the full game on Steam, but it won't work for me because I'm (still) running Debian Wheezy 64 bits, with an "old" version of libc6... :(

EDIT: @xnopasaranx: Unfortunately, Uplink is known to work with Xash3d. I must be cursed or something, that's the only rational explanation I have right now :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

I was able to get Darkstar to run but only at a few frames per second (between 4 and 6), like a slide-show.  Edge of Darkness runs full speed - no issues (note: I haven't played the whole thing).

Also, last time I tried, the links to the demo files on gamefront were broken. I managed to grab a copy of "Uplink" on some other site, but "Day One" seems to have vanished from Internet...

I'd like to buy the full game on Steam, but it won't work for me because I'm (still) running Debian Wheezy 64 bits, with an "old" version of libc6... :(

EDIT: @xnopasaranx: Unfortunately, Uplink is known to work with Xash3d. I must be cursed or something, that's the only rational explanation I have right now :)

Cheers, Magic Sam
I have not tested much but i was able to start uplink and take the elevator without issues...

Thanks for pointing me to the compatibility list.  I tried adding that line to the opengl.cfg, but DarkStar is still running at 3 or 4 frames per second.

New build. The Console is now enabled (but you may have to assign a better key for it).

Also, Jump key is fixed when ToogleCrouch is disabled.

And ToggleCrouch is enhanced also (if you keep crouch pressed, than press jump, than release crouch, it should behave as if toggleCrouch was not setup).

But if you still want to disable it, you have the console now, so bring it and type

seta togglecrouch "0"

or "1" to enable it...

Build 02
-----------

• Fixed jump key when toggleCrouch is disabled
  • Improved toggleCrouch
  • Enabled Console
  • Fixed HUD rendering

Also, I have put all sources on my github account. Links on 1st post.

One more request from me : any hope to improve the gamma adjustment ? It's still super dark in some places EVEN when I adjust the gamma to the max and wtih the max brightness on my Pandora. 

One more request from me : any hope to improve the gamma adjustment ? It's still super dark in some places EVEN when I adjust the gamma to the max and wtih the max brightness on my Pandora. 
hum, are you using the flashlight? some place are meant to be black...

Back