Release WINE

UT1 works, but it's pretty slow.
What do you think is the bottleneck? The cpu, the gpu, the RAM? The translations between x86 calls and open gl calls?

Well it is open gl 1, right? It does probably the vertex transformations on the cpu and "only" the triangle filling on the gpu. Do you have a fps number? Do you use a Ghz or a Rebirth Pandora?

This is at a 1ghz clocked at 1.1ghz. You can guess the FPS from the video. It's under 10 unless you run very close to a wall.

What does "top" have to say? If you're pegged at 100% then you're definitely CPU bound and there's nothing to be done, but if it is somehow less than there may be something to be done with the graphics. I doubt it, I'm pretty sure that even if it isn't CPU bound the GPU is probably working as hard as it can, but gotta give the optimists something to think about. ;)

Wow cool Videos,I have a Slideshow with Unreal Tournament made years ago :D

Yours run much better than my old Video.

Jack Rabbit 2 tested i under Qemu and it worked fine in Windows95,

so is in this Game the CPU not the Bottleneck ;)

Here my very very old Jack Rabbit 2 Video.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/toZKiEAvx3A?feature=oembed

Unfortunaly got i this not realy run as you saw in my Video LB.

Maybe i must remove all my old Wine Rests from the System.

The Qemu 3D Acceleration have i not get work too :(

But i dont give up :)

I think its because my SD Card Image contain my old Wine installation,i need a fresh Installation ;)

And because my Slackware Image have no Sudo working,but gksu work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
can please someone tell me how to install  this on my pandora so i can help with tests as well?why people keep ignoring me? :(

This does NOT have proper DirectDraw acceleration yet.
When direct draw is ready, I am curious about Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Small lags aren't important in turn base strategy games.

can please someone tell me how to install  this on my pandora so i can help with tests as well?why people keep ignoring me? :(
I did not ingore you, I just don't know :( . I believe the easiest way would be Slackware with recent libs.

maybe add this alias to your .bashrc

alias sudo=gksu

maybe add this alias to your .bashrc

alias sudo=gksu
Tried that and does not work because in Line16 in the prep.sh is not only the "sudo" Command,

after this stand anything with "SUDO_USER"

Can i replace this with "GKSU_USER" ?

Edit: Ah you mean a alias? hehe wow that will i Try,thx ;)

I mustbetter reading before Answer :rolleyes:

Edit Edit:I wonder if we have Network support for MMORPGS like Ragnarok Online in the Future :D

can please someone tell me how to install this on my pandora so i can help with tests as well?why people keep ignoring me? :(
I started typing up a Noobs friendly process last night..
but I got a little way through realising it wasn't really Noob friendly and that I probably should get some sleep.

But basic guide would be get Next or Slack booting.

Copy the Wine package to SD and extract.

Copy some stuff to test.

run prep.sh

export the wine libs or gl passthrough to path

TRY and run stuff.

as you can see most of this requires the terminal so not straightforward to make noob friendly at this time.

When i have it working can i share a Slackware Image with you all for experimenting with that,but first getting working :)

And i need the agree from LinuxBochs.

I dont share anything with hims Permission :)

With that is it more Easy,but first must i get it run here with 3D :D

Edit:Now have i a clean Slackware install on SD Card,but i must go work again. Will be home 10PM in Germany Time and then have i 1-2Hours to try.

When that work will i copy the Partition onto a 8GB Card for make a Image.

Is there a way to get the needed patches or sources from you lunxbochs?

I don't have a lot of time but I could try building the needed stuff for Angstrom.

Did some math:

A lot of early games did the vertex transformation on the cpu.

Lets say the game uses 2000 vertices:

4 floats per vertex.

A 4x4 Matrix for transformation.

This means: 4 multiplications per Vertex float, which means 16 multiplications per Vertex. For 2000 vertices this are 32000 multiplications. With neon, we could do 2 multiplications at one time. We would save 16000 multiplications per per frame. I think this could give a speed boost.

@rohezal one would guess that at the moment we are at the whim of Qemu for generation of ARM instructions from X86. So the question would be how good Qemu is at interpreting X86 and generating ARM. Given that GCC doesn't exactly have a great track record of generating good NEON code from C, it seems likely Qemu also won't be generating anything spectacular. I am also guessing it is probably not going to be straight forwards to improve the ARM instruction generation, but maybe I am wrong here.

At some point, DirectX introduced a maths library for doing vertex/matrix/quats/etc. I guess there maybe potential to implement this on the ARM side, it should be quite possible to implement the important functions from this math framework in decent NEON assembly.

How good are the profiling facilities in Qemu? Can we see how much time is spent on the various areas? It strikes me that if Exophase had a big interest in this he may well have ideas/suggestions of how better ARM could be generated (taking into account register constraints, NEON opportunities, caches, etc.) although I find it unlikely he'd be interested enough to want to wade through Qemu code!

can please someone tell me how to install this on my pandora so i can help with tests as well?why people keep ignoring me? :(
I started typing up a Noobs friendly process last night..
but I got a little way through realising it wasn't really Noob friendly and that I probably should get some sleep.

But basic guide would be get Next or Slack booting.

Copy the Wine package to SD and extract.

Copy some stuff to test.

run prep.sh

export the wine libs or gl passthrough to path

TRY and run stuff.

as you can see most of this requires the terminal so not straightforward to make noob friendly at this time.
i can use the terminal and some basic commands,but i lost it at "export the wine libs or gl passthrough to path" :( i'm not sure it something i can do.maybe i shoudl wait for a pnd version of it?

Back