Release WINE

Hi there, was trying to get this run, but I end up with "wine: failed to initialize: /usr/local/wine/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".
While I'm lacking linux knowledge, I made sure that I didn't forget any step and everything's set up. The ntdll.dll.so file exist in the respective arm and i386 directories, so I guess some path might not be set right ...?
No idea, honestly. But I'm using the newest prep.sh. My only thought is that your newest package doesn't quite work with clean install, unless you can point me to another solution.

Would be nice if you or anyone else could point me in the right direction here. Thanks for your awesome work!

OK, question...WINE basically emulates Windows, so you can play Windows games, right?

With this...is it or would it be possible to play Peggle?
Just maybe.. I guess when this gets project gets more solid we will know for sure.

Well I only got this far...

Running Steam on Linux 3.2.45 32-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Error: You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libc.so.6
/usr/local/bin/qemu-i386: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.10' not found (required by /usr/local/bin/qemu-i386)
/usr/local/bin/qemu-i386: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /usr/local/bin/qemu-i386)
Installing bootstrap /media/WineTest/wineroot/Steam/bootstrap.tar.xz
tar: xz: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
kevin-openpandora:/media/WineTest/wineroot/Steam$

The hybrid release requires PanDebian or similar (the GLIBC_2.10 error). You also need the xz binary to extract whatever that is.

My non-hybrid version will work on pretty much anything (but has no GL), at the expense of having much slower WINE startup times: http://bochs.info/~aegis/wineroot.tar.gz

Last edited by a moderator:
The only x86 Linux binaries you need for QEMU are .so files. The rest will be launched from your PATH whether they're x86 or ARM.

The hybrid release requires PanDebian or similar (the GLIBC_2.10 error). 
I'm confused. Didn't you say that Angstrom would still work in the last release post?

Also tried the older release. That one works for me, but I'd love to have OpenGL support.

The hybrid release requires PanDebian or similar (the GLIBC_2.10 error). 
I'm confused. Didn't you say that Angstrom would still work in the last release post?

Also tried the older release. That one works for me, but I'd love to have OpenGL support.
Looks like it doesn't work on common SuperZaxxon. I'll need to do a special Angstrom build. I'm almost ready with sound support, I think :)

Yes... if/when the wine part works with GL...

I'm currently  wrestling with this and Steam linux and got the ToS to display at least - trying to get Osmos/Snuggle Truck to work to start with would be cool if I could get Steam itself launching and attempt Half Life... then Portal xD
That would be most excellent.

Peggle is the only Windows game I have really really liked.

I still have to try it on an improved Drastic.  Last time I tried, it was very herky-jerky, not smooth action.

New version: http://bochs.info/~aegis/wineroot-hybrid.tar.gz

Changes:

ALSA passthrough now works. This means you have sound. Unfortunately, I don't get sound in WINE with this, even though WINE stopped complaining about not being able to load my sound card.

It works pretty well as long as there's no resampling. Because you probably want fast resampling too, I'm going to convert libasound into a proxy library like I did with libGL.

The QEMU binary is now compiled with better optimizations, and is noticeably faster as a result.

----

Note: I don't want to take the effort to support the old stdlib in SuperZaxxon, so you'll need a newer OS if you want to play with wineroot-hybrid. I'll release a newer version of the GL-free static Qemu for people who want to play around with pure WINE programs.

----

If you're looking for games to try:

http://perso.cgocable.ca/lasertank/ltank_en.html

http://ski.ihoc.net/

----

edit: http://bochs.info/~aegis/qemu-i386 if you want to retrofit your non-hybrid wineroot.

I fight a little to integrate it in Slackware but i am near :)

Very near :)

I think when i now replace the right Files then work it fine.

Descent3 Introvideo is starting and break after Video.

With a Qemu segfault.

When i come home will i try more with that.

Because sudo not work in Slackware must i delete the Row 16 in the prep.sh then worked it fine.

But have wrong Versions with LibGL with my old experimentings on this Image.

I will replace them with yours LinuxBochs. :)

But laaate Evening today.

OK, question...WINE basically emulates Windows, so you can play Windows games, right?

With this...is it or would it be possible to play Peggle?
Well... No, not really. It's not an emulator.

WINE in linux implements the core windows DLL files natively, so that when an application written for Windows calls functions from the OS it is redirected to native calls instead. This way your Win32 program will run under linux without needing to be emulated.

For ARM it's slightly more involved, but essentially the same. Those core DLL (library) files are re-implemented natively for ARM so that any calls to the OS (for things like drawing graphics, accessing the filesystem etc) run without needing to be emulated. This has obvious advantages, but there is a slight caveat: Your application will still need to be emulated via QEmu. When the emulated code calls a Win32 function (or a DirectX function etc) then emulation is halted and the native (non-emulated) library is called. When it's done its job, emulation continues.

If your app performs a lot of calls to draw graphics and such (via DirectDraw, D3D, GDI et al) then it will receive a substantial speed boost. If your app only uses those calls to get a pointer to a graphical surface and then draws all its own graphics, you'll see next to no improvement - all that work will have to be emulated.

D.

Those core DLL (library) files are re-implemented natively for ARM so that any calls to the OS (for things like drawing graphics, accessing the filesystem etc) run without needing to be emulated.
I wish.  That would actually make life easier. I wonder if the alignment and calling convention are so portable to WINE ARM I can implement this universally...

Got little further with this running on the "next" alpha I had to edit Steams startup script and such but still I can only achieve a segfault. :( .

Additionally the games I copied all use the Steam API so I can run them without Steam... boo

Back