Release WINE

New version.

The qemu-i386 in this can proxy OpenGL. However, it's no longer statically linked. It does still work for me in PanDebian and Angstrom. Your mileage may vary in .next and other operating systems.

The provided x86 gnemul guest has an OpenGL proxy lib installed, but WINE crashes when I try to use it. Basic x86 Linux OpenGL programs do work for me. I haven't tried any complicated x86 OpenGL apps. Someone should try Unreal Tournament etc and report back.

This includes a hybrid collection of both ARM/x86 WINE. I basically mashed together two architectures of WINE with a couple of patches. It spits out a few errors but still barely works ;)

I imagine advanced usage could seriously break it, but it's good enough for basic tests.

The hybrid ARM setup makes programs start approximately 3-5x faster. This means 10-15 seconds instead of 30-45+.

You also no longer need to screw around with dosdevices, because the ARM WINE binary has no path issues and is your first point of contact.

Extract this to a Linux filesystem (EXT or similar. It needs to support symlinks.) and run prep.sh. It won't fit on the NAND.

It will link itself into /usr/local/wine, /usr/gnemul, and replace /usr/local/bin/qemu-i386 and /usr/local/lib/libGL.so.1 and /usr/local/lib/libglhost.so

You might need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib or add it to your /etc/ld.so.conf.

http://bochs.info/~aegis/wineroot-hybrid.tar.gz

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
glxgears and nehe tutorials 5 and 8.

note: Looks like prep.sh is broken. Use this one until I upload a new package: https://bochs.info/p/z7z5m

Also, *really* don't forget to put /usr/local/lib in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf (and run ldconfig).

Are you serious about playable Half Life and Diablo II??? Really x86 emulation is that fast??? This could be the next big thing for Pandora!!!

Are you serious about playable Half Life and Diablo II??? Really x86 emulation is that fast??? This could be the next big thing for Pandora!!!
It's not outside the realms of possibility... but linuxbochs needs to see if he can figure out why WINE with the GLproxy is crashing first.

Until then you are stuck with pure WINE without 3D acceleration or you can run x86 linux programs with OpenGL... which is awesome! O_O

I might have to copy some of the humble bundle games over and see if/how they run ^_^

WHEN wine works with the open gl proxy and the cpu is fast enough and the gpu is fast enough, Diablo2 and Half Life are possible I guess. Half Life is way less demanding then Quake3. But it needs an emulated cpu. We will see :) .

Diablo 2 is already pretty playable, for various definitions of playable (some of which may include "not" :p ), and Half Life "runs" at what appears to be full speed, it just skips a lot of frames. User mode emulation with wine is practically guaranteed to be better than a virtual machine (although how much better we won't know for some time, and may not be noticeable at all) and OpenGL passthrough should be better than the CPU rendering these two games are currently doing in the virtual machine.So while it's too early to say they will be any better than they are now it is theoretically possible that they will be better.

Did Diablo II have OpenGL acceleration or just Glide(3DFX) acceleration? I'm almost thinking the latter.

Edit: Oh looks like true opengl rendering was added with the LOD expansion. 
Edit2: conflicting google searches saying they need to run a glide to opengl wrapper.. so it's a bit confusing.

It had DirectDraw at least and probably Direct3D? Either way, we can render it on the ARM side.

Cool,i will try this Evening Descent3 Linux Version and Unreal Tournament Linux Version.

I just extract your Gnemul Directory into my Working Wine Experiment image for GL Support in Qemu-I386.

When that not work,will i copy the Binaries from you too ...

..and when that al not work try i to install all your Files :)

I wish i have more Time but ever working working working and so lessing Time.

I am gladbach when i found a Hour for that this Evening.

Wow how curious i am,because Qemu User with 3D work finaly :)

Diablo 2 has a "-Opengl" option. Admittedly I never used it and just assumed that it enabled openGL rendering but google searches seem to suggest it was just a test mode that doesn't actually work as advertised, so I could have been way off base with that. Sorry, shouldn't have assumed. :(

Yes... if/when the wine part works with GL...

I'm currently  wrestling with this and Steam linux and got the ToS to display at least - trying to get Osmos/Snuggle Truck to work to start with would be cool if I could get Steam itself launching and attempt Half Life... then Portal xD

Back