Release WINE

Stop trolling, let's concentrate on wine. This IS epic. I am not sure, if you understand what this means.

Wine translates DirectX to OpenGL. This means when lunixbochs is done, the open gl can translate into open gl es. This means the gpu is used, not just the cpu. This is a framerate increase of several hundred percernt. This will make a lot of games playable, even direct x games. This is very awesome :) . Looking forward on diablo2 on the Pandora ;) .

Last edited by a moderator:
There is something I don't understand.

Does WINE really translate directx into OpenGL?

Why can you install Directx via winetricks then?

Doesn't it work 100%?

Sorry, I'm a little confused now.

What did I get wrong?

DirectX is too low level to be installed with Wine. Instead, there are some "fake" directx dll that are part of wine that do the conversion between DirectX (well Direct2D or Direct3D) call and OpenGL. For DirectSound, Wine implement is own mixer, using ALSA, OSS or (other backend) to do the sound input/output.

It sounds like peggle dual strike on the ds is what you are looking for.

It has content from peggle and peggle nights and even extra bonus stages.

And drastic plays it perfectly.
Humm, last time I tried that on Drastic...it was herky-jerky.

Maybe it has since improved?

I need to download latest Drastic and try, I guess.

No, Dunny.  It isn't going to work.  You are not going to fluster me and you are not going to make me look bad.

I just want the Pandora to DO the cool stuff, without having to worry about how or why it works.

This is like my car.  I want to be able to drive it...does this mean I have to know how to fix it?  Hell, no, that is what a mechanic is for!  I still want to drive my car, without being able to take it apart piece by piece and put it back together!

Or do you suggest that only mechanics should be allowed to drive cars?

Depends on the game and scene. When you just draw and shade triangles yes :) . At least in general, a gpu has dedicated hardware for matrix multiplications and for shading with extra caches for textures, special hardware for "root "operations and rasterizing a scene.

And everything is done by the gpu is not done by the cpu. This means more time for AI, collision detection, scripting and sound.

It's WINE 1.7.0. I have test versions of 0.9, 1.3, 1.5, and 1.7. WINE 1.3 and earlier do not run.

Here's an alpha version:

http://bochs.info/pnd/wineroot.tar.gz

Note: all ARM bits are statically compiled and do not depend on Angstrom. Please try this in Slackware, Arch, .next, and whatever else you kids are running these days. Maybe sound will work there.

1. Extract to a linux (ext3 etc, not FAT) partition (NOT to /, put it in your home folder or something).

2. Run prep.sh.

3. Add /usr/local/wine/bin to your PATH.

4. Run `wine wineboot`

5. Put a program in ~/.wine/drive_c/ and run it.

6. Enjoy.

Caveats:

Starting apps can be a bit slow (but still way faster than booting Windows). I might do some hybrid ARM wine stuff to improve this.

No sound. Unless you're a wizard.

No OpenGL yet. Use winetricks to change directdraw to GDI if you have a directdraw game complaining about OpenGL.

You can't run EXE files from arbitrary locations. A parent folder (other than /) needs to be a dosdevice.

Pending updates:

Better install process (disk image/pnd? ability to extract to FAT32?)

Path fixes.

Sound.

OpenGL passthrough.

Good apps to try:

Skifree.

Microsoft's Space Cadet Pinball.

I ordered a Samsung Chromebook to hopefully speed up development.

When it reaches a further state, will I be able to make a new WINEPREFIX for every program?

The first time I used WINE I put everything into the same prefix and in the end I corrupted nearly everything.

I was thinking maybe something like wineskin winery model could be implemented.

We have a specific application that packages everything up into a PND with a customisable icon + wine and winetricks settings :D

Several issues though:

a) Packages would need to be updated every time wine is updated

b ) We need the application :p

When it reaches a further state, will I be able to make a new WINEPREFIX for every program?

The first time I used WINE I put everything into the same prefix and in the end I corrupted nearly everything.
You can already do that. This is a fully-featured WINE.

Wow that comes out when a Profi Release that :)

Very good work,i will try to make this evening a Video with your build.

I never got Microsoft Pinball or Microsoft Hover running with my Experiments.

Maybe we can use with that real soundless RPGMaker Games now :)

I will try too Diablo1 without Sound,when i renember right is this win 3.11 Combatible.

Wow happy to try you Build,but again a looong working Day for me.

Good Work ;)

<snip>

You can't run EXE files from arbitrary locations. A parent folder (other than /) needs to be a dosdevice.
Is it possible to at least put this drive_c folder on an SD card?

You can already do that. This is a fully-featured WINE.
Nice.

Can't test at them moment as I'm at work and will be out at Gamescom then.

Maybe EvilDragon has time to set up WINE.

<snip>

If it's full featured WINE then you should be able to place your WINEPREFIX wherever you want.

I have 1 SSD and 1 HDD in my Computer.

Have WINEPREFIXes on both drives.

Wow that comes out when a Profi Release that :)

Very good work,i will try to make this evening a Video with your build.

I never got Microsoft Pinball or Microsoft Hover running with my Experiments.

Maybe we can use with that real soundless RPGMaker Games now :)

I will try too Diablo1 without Sound,when i renember right is this win 3.11 Combatible.

Wow happy to try you Build,but again a looong working Day for me.

Good Work ;)
Will you visit Gamescom?

Would like to see all your Games in reality.

Seems like you have lot of old Windows stuff. :)

<snip>

You can symlink any folder to "~/.wine/dosdevices/x:" where x is any letter not already used and not /.

.wine ends up decently big by itself, so you should probably put the whole thing on an SD card via something like: mkdir /media/any-sd-card/wineprefix; ln -s /media/any-sd-card/wineprefix ~/.wine

Back